Got the Wharfies!

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

I have upgraded the front speakers of my Onkyo 3100 with the wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers. Right now my son has taken them home and enjoying it. I am stuck in office. I will give my noob impressions on the speakers tonight.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Congrats Sri! This is great! How much did you spend?
Lets us have your feedback.
How did you shortlist/ finalize?
Would love to hear that too!

BTW that pic of handsome guy is your son??:cool:
I was always under the impression that it's you :rolleyes:

he didn't post his picture as it could have caused over exposure to awesomeness!

Congrats Sri. As an onkyo owner, I am eagerly waiting for your reviews. I was mighty impressed when I replaced my fronts with JBL n38 FS.

regards

Congrats Sri! This is great! How much did you spend?
Lets us have your feedback.
How did you shortlist/ finalize?
Would love to hear that too!

BTW that pic of handsome guy is your son??:cool:
I was always under the impression that it's you :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks reju and anm.

reju said:
BTW that pic of handsome guy is your son??
:)yes indeed its my son. He is going into his fourth year engineering.

anm said:

he didn't post his picture as it could have caused over exposure to awesomeness!

Exactly! I didnt post my pic just not to give you guys a complex:eek:hyeah:

Jus kidding guys. coming to the serious business of bookshelves i always wanted to have the wharfedales, based not on any serious audition but what i have heard and read about them.

Yesterday we went to Grand cinema and had an audition of 9.1 and 9.2s. The latter clearly had better sound stage and more bass.Source was a basic marantz AVR and Pioneer DV600. The music was clear and detailed.They played a collection of Gramy award nominees.

Harris's 'nenjukkul peidhum' was scintilating. For movie they played Robots and the marantz gave a nice HT sound. But my son was not impressed with the Marntz HT sound.He is only 22 guys and it can be understood. But i clearly enjoyed the Marantz AVR.(Marantz was always my preference for HT but somehow i ended up with Onkyo:eek:)

But to my disappointment they didnt have any stock of 9.2s. So i couldnt make the purchase.They said if i pay then, they will get it for me after 5 days.My son wanted it in Cherry colour, but they were not sure if they can get it. They said they will conact me today. Till now i havent got a call from them. Since my son was impatient to get them we went to Pro musicals today and i got it for Rs 15450/-. They didnt accept my offer of 15k.

Stereo sound: well guys this is a disappointment. We played Ricky Martin cd and the speakers booms a lot. I dont know wheather is because of the small room size or speaker positioning. I have to place them on the loft:eek:, since i cant stand mount or wall mounT them in my room. May be after moving to my own house i can do justice to the speakers.And source is also a let down. Philips DVD player thro Onkyo AVR:rolleyes: any suggesstions to reduce the boominess is welcome.

HT sound: Well this has brought a smile on my face. The sound track of Transformers were no more an assault on your ears. The sound is clean,detailed and without fatigue.I didnt ask my son to reduce the sound even once in the fifteen minutes we watched it.The HT sound is definitely rich and fuller.

DTH: The sound from Tata Sky is more detailed thro Neo cinema.There is no more the 'noise' factor.

My outdated Marantz stereo amp is with the repair man. I may get it tomorrow evening. Let me see if the stereo sound is better thro it.

Well guys sorry for the long post. I know this review(if u can call it that) must be a disappointment to many of u.

Any specific questions or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

sri

Last edited:
if you find the speakers booming too much
cut circular(cylindrical) plugs out of a piece of foam and stuff them into the ports
however be careful not to stuff them right through

i have many a times used a rolled sock in subwoofer ports

... We played Ricky Martin cd and the speakers booms a lot...

Congrats on the purchase. Regarding the booming, did you try listening to a well recorded CD to see if it makes any difference? Would appreciate pics of your setup when you have time. Enjoy!

Hai Srikarkav,

Did you audition the WH Dia 10.0 series? How does it compare with 9 series.

N.Murali.

Last edited:
sri,congrats on the purchase!!great speakers for the money.also,the boominess could be few things,still new,also ur placement.possible yes?give it time and yes like magma suggested,foam bungs to tame it.am sure with ur marantz it will start soundin excellent!!cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have upgraded the front speakers of my Onkyo 3100 with the wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers. Right now my son has taken them home and enjoying it. I am stuck in office. I will give my noob impressions on the speakers tonight.

cheers,
sri

Congrates & do post pic of system.

9.2 are not boomy,they sounded gr8 with Yam stereo setup & better than 9.1.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Thanks to all u guys for ur wishes.
can any one of u tell me how to upload the pictures to the forum?

Thanks,
sri

Hi murali,

The 10 series has not reached chennai so far i think. I hear that they sound more brighter than the 9 series.

cheers,
sri

Hi Guys,
Thanks to all u guys for ur wishes.
can any one of u tell me how to upload the pictures to the forum?

Thanks,
sri

Ther are 2 ways-

1.attach image when you post reply.There is button on window where you type.

2.Imageshake or similar web.input image link

Hi,

These are the pics. Modest beauties arent they?

Looks very similar to my Rti A3. Except that it has only one bass reflex instead of two.

Someone else (sorry I forgot the name) having Onkyo AVR, recently opted for 9.2 instead of Rti-A3 as the Wharfs sounded better!

So I am very curious to know how it sounds...

I think he had got it for about 14K.

polks are clear,but they are thin.Wharf 9.2 exhibits better Bass & sweat treble.
cherry colour looks better actually than pic.

Hi Guys,

In the morning when played the Tatasky sound with the AVR setting Neo Cinema 6 there was little or no sound thro the wharfies. Only when i set the AVR in stereo mode sound is coming thro the front speakers. I am baffled. Most of the time we watch TV with the neo cinema settings.Some movies on Star movies and Zee studio come out really well. Can some one tell why there is no Tatasky sound thro neo6 in the wharfies?

Thanks,
sri

Can you tell us how you have connected the new speakers? In A or B?
I understand your 3100 has these options. So you may have to switch accordingly?

Hi reju thanks for the reply.

I guess the B option is only stereo output. I have connected the new speakers only thro A option.

sri

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back