GPU

sidvee

there wont be improvement in picture quality, but it might smoothen the video playback in case you feel stutter while playing big video files, since you can offload video processing to gpu

there wont be improvement in picture quality, but it might smoothen the video playback in case you feel stutter while playing big video files, since you can offload video processing to gpu
I watched a 16gb file today, didn't perceive any stutters, so I should be all set then. Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Sid

It will definitely increase the picture quality and sharpness. And it depends on the GPU used and with some tuning. I have tried it on Monitors and TVs
do you mean gpu can give better picture quality like better contrast and colors?

and do you mean only gpu have options of image property caliberations?

I will go ahead and buy a basic GPU and report back. If I can get better contrast then it is a small price to pay. Jriver has the option to use the MadVR scaling which is what I am using. PQ is very good but I feel it can be better.
Cheers,
Sid

I tried with multiple cards like 710, 730, 1030, RX550, 1050ti, 1060, and 1660. But finally settled at 1050ti. For 730 and 1050ti there is a lot of difference in Picture Quality and sharpness. And the difference you can clearly observe in a Monitor also. I have tested my HTPC with 75" Sony OLED TV, and with 4k projector in a demo room.

Actually I am experimenting to get better picture for last few years with multiple devices like intel compute stick, KD Links Media Player, Raspberry pi (old version), HTPCs with igpu and graphic cards. With 1050ti I got good picture quality.

I have an old HTPC that has an integrated GPU. Will adding a basic GPU increase the picture quality? I am using HDMI pass through, through my marantz rcvr. to a sony 45 vpl hw45es projector. This is used only to watch 1080p content via MKV files. I am using Jriver MC 26 as the media player. I was thinking about adding something like this: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01AZ7W88O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V2EW7ECP49IZ&psc=1
Cheers,
Sid
Though not related to GPU but wanted to share that I recently had very positive experience changing my hdmi cable to fiber optic based hdmi cable from Amazonbasics. Interestingly it improved audio quality too.

There are few settings that need to be adjusted in MadVR according to the GPU used and I am using it with KLite media player.

There are few settings that need to be adjusted in MadVR according to the GPU used and I am using it with KLite media player.
Yes I am sure that is the case, I was just experimenting with it to see how much my built in GPU will get stressed. Anyways I will buy one soon.
Cheers,
Sid

I got a Asus Nvidia ge-force gt710 and installed in my HTPC. I am blown away to say the least - the black levels/contrast on the sony 45 vpl hw45es are at-least 20-30% better than using the built in GPU and perhaps 15-20% better than the popcorn hour MP I was using, and overall PQ both with J-river and netflix has become significantly better - color saturation, shadow detail etc. I am so impressed I am going to build a custom HTPC just for video with a totl GPU. Also no stutters with advanced MadVR settings. IMO all these so-called media players are just scratching the surface of video, I think the real deal is getting a high horse power machine with the best GPU card one can afford. I feel that past 2-3 years I have been loosing a lot of PQ with these 20-30k media players, hopefully I can catch up soon, especially since I plan to upgrade to a native 4k projector. Fm's, please suggest components for a nice HTPC (mother board, GPU, processor etc) around 1-1.5 lac range. Sad part is there is no proper guidance as to what one can buy off the shelf for best PQ other than a 4k disc player, one gets bombarded with so-called media players, which imo cannot really match the level of even a entry level htpc with a proper purpose built GPU.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I got a Asus Nvidia ge-force gt710 and installed in my HTPC. I am blown away to say the least - the black levels/contrast on the sony 45 vpl hw45es are at-least 20-30% better than using the built in GPU and perhaps 15-20% better than the popcorn hour MP I was using, and overall PQ both with J-river and netflix has become significantly better - color saturation, shadow detail etc. I am so impressed I am going to build a custom HTPC just for video with a totl GPU. Also no stutters with advanced MadVR settings. IMO all these so-called media players are just scratching the surface of video, I think the real deal is getting a high horse power machine with the best GPU card one can afford. I feel that past 2-3 years I have been loosing a lot of PQ with these 20-30k media players, hopefully I can catch up soon, especially since I plan to upgrade to a native 4k projector. Fm's, please suggest components for a nice HTPC (mother board, GPU, processor etc) around 1-1.5 lac range. Sad part is there is no proper guidance as to what one can buy off the shelf for best PQ other than a 4k disc player, one gets bombarded with so-called media players, which imo cannot really match the level of even a entry level htpc with a proper purpose built GPU.
Cheers,
Sid

You can look at the below
i) AMD Ryzen 3600X ~ 18-19k
ii) B550M based Wifi motherboard (13-19k depending what you choose). I went for Asus B550F ROG Strix Gaming Wifi board
iii) 8/16GB * 2 DDR4 3600 mhz sticks ( 8k/14k) (Corsair Vengeance/Gskill should be good)
iv) SMPS - 750 watts (ANTEC HCG GOLD 750 Watts) ~ 8k
v) Cabinet of your choice (5k-13k , you will need to check and finalize , some options Lian Li Mesh 2/ Lian Li Dynamic O11 )
vi) Cooling solution (Choose one which makes lower noise , my system makes a fair bit of noise due to the AIO )
vii) GPU - Used Market (2080/2080 Ti with warranty remaining ~ 35-44k ) , New ( 3060 ~ 45-50K , 3070 ~ 55-65K , 3080 ~ 70-95K). If its purely for movies and casual gaming , 3060 should serve well.

[...] and this seems to be their player. .

It is a dedicated video processor, like the Lumagen. I see that you're considering a native 4K projector. Unless it's one of the native 4K's from JVC or your viewing is restricted to only BR/UHD rips, an Envy/Lumagen is needed (IMO). Especially for Dynamic Tone Mapping of HDR.

Last edited:
It is a dedicated video processor, like the Lumagen. I see that you're considering a native 4K projector. Unless it's one of the native 4K's from JVC or your viewing is restricted to only BR/UHD rips, an Envy/Lumagen is needed (IMO). Especially for Dynamic Tone Mapping of HDR.
Majority of my viewing will be streamed or ripped 4k content, physical disc availability in India is non existent. So whatever is required for that is what I would prefer. As far as the projector is concerned, I am considering the JVC DLA nx5.
Cheers,
Sid

Majority of my viewing will be streamed or ripped 4k content, physical disc availability in India is non existent. So whatever is required for that is what I would prefer. As far as the projector is concerned, I am considering the JVC DLA nx5.

Nice. From what I've read, the NX5 seems to be the highest "value for money" model in the JVC native 4K lineup. There's value to be had in an external VP (better 1080P upscaling and DTM for HDR, automatic AR scaling among other things), but you may well find that the NX5 on its own is good enough for your usage/demands. If not, you can always add one later.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back