GR Research Wharfedale Linton 85 upgrade

Vineethkumar01

@balavignesh002 Danny provides the frequencies where he has measured the dips and peaks . Before employing a hardware DSP, use a media player like JRIver or Foobar to EQ (use parametric) at software level by taking Danny's measurement as a base to hear how the sound changes.
Not sure if spending 800USD just on crossover upgrade without hearing the end result is worth it taking into consideration the price of the speakers.

Though it is not the best approach, but you can get a very good idea of how the sound changes.
I agree with this suggestion. Applying EQ via software DSP gives at least some vague idea about how spectral balance changes relatively and to identify if one likes the overall sound balance (off course it doesn't exactly convey the effect of a crossover change but still good to get some idea)
Stereophile also has given some measurements here:
But I don't know if they consider baffle step correction to their nearfield response so wouldn't trust anything below 400 Hz for EQ ing based on measurements. Even above 400 Hz, for this kind of speaker, I don't see much issues other than a slight dip between 1-2 kHz (probably caused by crossover?) and some early roll off around 14kHz or so.
Also most often I see Danny's measurements with about 25 dB dynamic range on 'y' axis of SPL plots (usually people consider 50 dB dynamic range), which tends to magnify things (issues or not).

thepope

I agree with this suggestion. Applying EQ via software DSP gives at least some vague idea about how spectral balance changes relatively and to identify if one likes the overall sound balance (off course it doesn't exactly convey the effect of a crossover change but still good to get some idea)
Stereophile also has given some measurements here:
But I don't know if they consider baffle step correction to their nearfield response so wouldn't trust anything below 400 Hz for EQ ing based on measurements. Even above 400 Hz, for this kind of speaker, I don't see much issues other than a slight dip between 1-2 kHz (probably caused by crossover?) and some early roll off around 14kHz or so.
Also most often I see Danny's measurements with about 25 dB dynamic range on 'y' axis of SPL plots (usually people consider 50 dB dynamic range), which tends to magnify things (issues or not).

Is there is reason you went with the Mundorf 20 watt resistors instead of the 5 or 10 watt? I'm just curious... I just started dabbling in crossover designs within the last year!

balavignesh002

Before employing a hardware DSP, use a media player like JRIver or Foobar to EQ (use parametric) at software level by taking Danny's measurement as a base to hear how the sound changes.
Good idea... Will try it.
Not sure if spending 800USD
I can understand its big, but I will buy it only if I happen to go to USA or any of my friends coming from there. Its not going to happen immediately.

Also I do prefer to know the feedback from the users of the kit.

Cptnjosh

Is there is reason you went with the Mundorf 20 watt resistors instead of the 5 or 10 watt? I'm just curious... I just started dabbling in crossover designs within the last year!
To be honest, it was based upon HeadquarterAudios YouTube video, saying the Mundorf Supreme was very important. I think any of the mundorf resistors will be vastly better than stock sandcast. We are talking about nuanced differences here when changing a like for like resistor. It makes me feel better that I put the highest grade resistors in. Am I enjoying my music more? Not really, it was just as good before, but just different. Part of this process for me is just tinkering around with things, so my wife does not ask me to do something. LOL.

thepope

To be honest, it was based upon HeadquarterAudios YouTube video, saying the Mundorf Supreme was very important. I think any of the mundorf resistors will be vastly better than stock sandcast. We are talking about nuanced differences here when changing a like for like resistor. It makes me feel better that I put the highest grade resistors in. Am I enjoying my music more? Not really, it was just as good before, but just different. Part of this process for me is just tinkering around with things, so my wife does not ask me to do something. LOL.

Ah I watched his video don't think I remembered what he used since he was only doing the highs. Errrr I want to do this so bad, just priced out everything based on Jantzen Supreme and Mundorf classic 10 watt. I don't think I want to take another 10 watts away from the mids and highs. It's a little over $600 which is doable but I still hate to throw my new amp money away... Specially if it's doesn't keep the tonality, bring out a "little bit" sweeter nuance and maybe a little better imaging. I may order new crossover boards and build from scratch later, after I get my amps. I want to try those new Schiit TYR mono's when they are released and or pick up the Van Alstine M225 mono's as well so I'm so hesitant.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.