Gravity - a must watch

Yes, we have already had a number of Indian movies in mixed in Atmos. But Dhoom 3 will get the biggest release in terms of the number of screens and marketing spend when compared to other Hindi movies released in Atmos. Big movies always help promote any new format, so I think at least a few screens in the North will install Atmos for Dhoom 3.
Good point. I had already seen a number of well done 3D movies before 'Avatar', but that one movie really helped promote that format.

Oh wow!

Gravity is not a movie, it is an experience. Watched it at PVR Phoenix, IMAX 3D. It has been more than an hour since the movie ended and I am still processing the brilliant film-making, superlative presence of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock (amazing pairing), breathtaking visual and sound effects. It is effortlessly moving and gripping same time.

There are many scenes that do not have any cuts to disturb the proceedings. It does not feel gimmicky but makes your jaws drop.

The movie will consume you for 90 minutes of it's run time. Watch it in IMAX 3D. Trust me you will wonder at times, WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?! Is it real?

I just hope the BD release will have hours and hours of extras on the filming techniques used.

After Life Of Pi, this movie has done justice to 3D format. Not to be missed.

Ofcourse the vibrations caused by impacts (between actors and objects) in the movie have to be felt by us from the subwoofer only. Ideally if the seats have Buttkickers (this is what you mean), it would be much more realistic.

I've experienced the Buttkickers a while ago in a high end set up of a Chennai based FM (not naming him coz I've not taken his consent) comprising of 7.2 all Meredian setup with Sonos and a 4K JVC projection with buttkickers fitted onto the couch. The scene was some English Movie which is about the Normandy landing (Don't remember the name) The vibrations felt through the couch felt so artificial!

Of course I admit that I have experienced the real explosions to compare as a reference may be to blame.

There is a way to make the vibrations through buttkicker feel real. Subsonic frequencies, i.e below 20 hz cannot be heard but only felt. If anything above this frequency is experienced by shake, body perceives it artificial.

Best way to experience shakes is to use a low pass filter, feeding buttkicker frequencies below 25 hz or so and let a subwoofer handle frequencies above it. OR have a subwoofer setup that can go well below 20 hz. ;-)

There is a way to make the vibrations through buttkicker feel real. Subsonic frequencies, i.e below 20 hz cannot be heard but only felt. If anything above this frequency is experienced by shake, body perceives it artificial.

Hmm I don't know how it was implemented; it had all the works like diffusers, absorbers, bass traps et al. But going by the implementation that I saw and since he has spent a fortune on the setup, I'm reasonably sure that he would've availed the services of a professional installer.

Yes, but not many professional know how to implement things correctly. Afterall, Buttkicker's document does not mention above. Most likely, Buttkickers were wired up inline with subwoofers because its install manual suggests, so sending same signal as subs. In that case, even simple drum beats would also shake the seats and make it feel un-natural.

On the other hand, if buttkicker is silent during normal bass and kicks only in deep explosions/deep bass extensions, then its effect is tremendous. Viewers are not distracted by it and are pulled into the scene. I did use bass shakers (not buttkicker, but inexpensive Aura Pro shakers) and found that it has value and effect if used subtly.

I've experienced the Buttkickers a while ago in a high end set up of a Chennai based FM (not naming him coz I've not taken his consent) comprising of 7.2 all Meredian setup with Sonos and a 4K JVC projection with buttkickers fitted onto the couch. The scene was some English Movie which is about the Normandy landing (Don't remember the name) The vibrations felt through the couch felt so artificial!

Of course I admit that I have experienced the real explosions to compare as a reference may be to blame.

If possible try keeping your hand on your sub while watching a good action movie. I am sure you will get more realistic effects even above 20hz

Best way to experience shakes is to use a low pass filter, feeding buttkicker frequencies below 25 hz or so and let a subwoofer handle frequencies above it. OR have a subwoofer setup that can go well below 20 hz. ;-)

Buttkickers already have cut off frequency at around 30hz (not very sure about it) so a low pass filter wont do any good to them. Even other bass shakers like from Auro perform only below a certain frequency. What i feel is that bass shakers and buttkickers are less realistic maybe because they do not blend well with the sound.

Now there is one thing more called tactile transducer which do not have cut off frequency and perform all the time. I thin these would be more realistic as they will complement the bass even above the cut off range. These are sold by Clark Synthesis...silver, platinum and gold models

So a bass shaker is different from a tactile transducer even though both are meant to give tactile effects.

Frequencies below 20hz cannot be heard but only felt...but...frequency above 20hz can also be felt and the body DOES NOT perceive it as artificial the body perceives it as sound...the difference is instead of hearing it from our ear drums the body hears the sound from our bones. This is the bone conducting technology being used in many headphones today...even google glass has this technology...and I dont think while using these headphones or google glass people will only be able to hear sound that are below 20hz and miss all the frequencies above it.

Hope my post is understandable

I watched Gravity the day before yesterday evening. Everyone in this thread is talking about the movie and so I do not wish to repeat what has already been said. Needless to say it is quite an experience, and one you must have.
What I particularly like is that this movie does not suffer from the 'Hollywood' syndrome. There is no American patriotic melodrama, more importantly there is no gimmick. At no point of time it seemed there was a heroic rescue effort under way, or some seemingly miraculous development was happening behind the scene owing to the amazing ingenious efforts of NASA. The movie remains quite faithful to actual science and thereby is able to stay within the realms of believability.
It is taut in its treatment and tells a story precisely, absolutely precisely. In doing so the tension is maintained from start to finish, without faltering even for one scene. Beautiful treatment, amazing visual effects and an absolute experience. Watch it, fall in love with mother earth.

I've experienced the Buttkickers a while ago in a high end set up of a Chennai based FM
The vibrations felt through the couch felt so artificial!
Quite possible. I had the same feeling when I saw some clip in a 4D theatre in Mumbai. Unrealistic. But there was a similar show in Adlabs Imagica (theme park) where audience used to sit on platforms made like a vintage cars. There was an extensive use of buttkicker kind of transducers placed under the platform so the vibrations (of the car) were so real and gelled well with the action.

EDIT: I just remember they were pneumatic actuators.

I must say that I was underwhelmed. The story of the movie is nothing to write about.

Actually I liked the movie because there is no story. ;) Its just an event. I guess 80 min run-time is actually 80 min the characters experienced in space.

Did you not watch the scene where Sandra Bullock is using a fire extinguisher to navigate herself toward the Chinese Station?
Besides everything burns down by debris excepts for Sandra Bullock and her pod on at least 2 different occasions.

I guess we are adding spoilers! :eek: Still...

If everyone is hit by the debris, the movie will end in 15 min. So we are talking about someone who is lucky enough not to get hit.

Truth is some did die. Now obviously, the movie has to now revolve around the survivor. Will anyone accept if Sandra dies in first hit and some less known actor becomes the only survivor? Think about it.

But yes, by law of physics, the fire extinguisher will send her spinning all around instead of moving longitudinally towards the ship.

Last edited:
2001 Space Odyssey, Contact and Apollo 13 had good mix of realism and fiction. Liked all of them.
'Gravity' looks like a good movie.
Regards

I don't see why the fire extinguisher would be sci-fi since it is directional thrust. Haven't any of you done office chair races with fire extinguishers?

As for her not burning up on re-entry, same reason why other space capsules don't burn up: she was in a re-entry vehicle, which has sheilding. The rest of debris isn't shielded.

The only aspect of this movie that I considered sci-fi was that it apparently took place in an alternate reality, in a universe where the space shuttle program is still active and the Chinese space station is already in place. In our reality, the space shuttle program has already been retired and the Chinese space station is only in planning stages.

BTW, I had to smile when one of the astronauts, Shariff (voiced by Paul Sharma), starts singing 'mera joota hai japani' by reflex when he becomes happy.

Did you not watch the scene where Sandra Bullock is using a fire extinguisher to navigate herself toward the Chinese Station?
I am not saying its a bad thing and Sci-Fi is by definition a twist of the reality and I think Cinema is a fantasy and so Movie Makers should be at liberty to use all kinds of tricks but that fire extinguisher punches a big hole in your statement.
Besides everything burns down by debris excepts for Sandra Bullock and her pod on at least 2 different occasions.
I agree that movie is single minded in its approach that How Sandra Bullock escaped near certain death in space and reached Earth. There is no love story or nothing of any kind. Movie never falters from its actual story.

Well...lets keep in mind it is a movie, and while it keeps things to a 'believable' limit there are of course instances which may not occur in real life, and that is why this still is a story being told on screen. The 'story' would not be worth telling if there was not enough compelling conflicts and in the end a resolution. So the story was that of a survival, told nicely, keeping the audience engaged throughout with a near perfect representation of the setting for the story, the Space. It is a visual treat, enjoy it I say.

saw the movie after all the rave reviews. Visuals were spectacular. I expected a story somewhere in between. Apparently I expected too much.

I don't see why the fire extinguisher would be sci-fi since it is directional thrust. Haven't any of you done office chair races with fire extinguishers?

Newton's law is not questioned; she can maneuver using the fire extinguisher but if she does not fire it with the hose at dead centre (COG) it will set her tumbling making it extremely difficult to stabilize both in direction as well as orientation

Spoiler Another inaccuracy is that Clooney slips off her hand before getting lost in space forever. In reality, the shroud line would never stretch to its length and remain tensile so- it can happen only when there is gravity. Logically, when there is no other force acting, it would again coil back and stretch on opposite direction and back and forth. It would hardly take any effort to pull back Clooney towards the ship. Well, these are some minor niggles doesn't really matter when the movie is so thrilling.

Newton's law is not questioned; she can maneuver using the fire extinguisher but if she does not fire it with the hose at dead centre (COG) it will set her tumbling making it extremely difficult to stabilize both in direction as well as orientation
So if the movie depicts her as having good aim with a fire extinguisher, that's considered "science fiction"?

So if the movie depicts her as having good aim with a fire extinguisher, that's considered "science fiction"?

If the movie shows her meticulously calculating her aim, we could understand the reason why she is not tumbling.

There were lots of physics guffaws in the movie. However those aside, it was a pretty well done movie with spectacular visuals and acting that was really restrained and not the usual hollywood bombastic.

If the movie shows her meticulously calculating her aim, we could understand the reason why she is not tumbling.
I can understand that capability being labelled as uncommon or unrealistic, just don't see how good aim falls into the category of science fiction.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back