Gravity - a must watch

I can understand that capability being labelled as uncommon or unrealistic, just don't see how good aim falls into the category of science fiction.

But I never classified it as science or sci-fi, I just said it is highly improbable.

What is all the hoola-boo about the term 'Sci-fi'? I do not quite understand. This movie is a work of fiction, the setting of the movie (Space) is such that it involves science. Does not that qualify the movie as a work of Science-fiction? I think it does. Why exactly are we hungover the terms / terminology? If you do not like it by all means criticise with constructive points, but does anyone here has an agenda with 'Sci-fi' that we are dragging that along for no reason really?

What is all the hoola-boo about the term 'Sci-fi'? I do not quite understand. This movie is a work of fiction, the setting of the movie (Space) is such that it involves science. Does not that qualify the movie as a work of Science-fiction? I think it does. Why exactly are we hungover the terms / terminology? If you do not like it by all means criticise with constructive points, but does anyone here has an agenda with 'Sci-fi' that we are dragging that along for no reason really?

+1
Exactly my thoughts.
The movie is a very well made and well directed and definitely a work of fiction. Let's just leave it at that.
If I want to see something which obeys by all the laws of Physics and without any drama then I would rather watch a Discovery channel documentary (Even those, I feel, are highly dramatized to attract TRP).

True. Its is a grey area. Better not to lose sleep over it. We must just enjoy the movie, that is what it is made for; not to prove anything as to how things work. I usually do observe such errors but I did not mention anything in my review because what matters is how much we are engrossed in it. So lets get back to the movie and our opinion.

True. Its is a grey area. Better not to lose sleep over it. We must just enjoy the movie, that is what it is made for; not to prove anything as to how things work. I usually do observe such errors but I did not mention anything in my review because what matters is how much we are engrossed in it. So lets get back to the movie and our opinion.

That is the long and short of it ! :)

For the benefit of people who would yet to see it. Here is my opinion about the story so far.

Regarding the remarks made earlier and the criticism about the movie; I'd still defend the excellence of the movie. I think it is a well-made flick; and an achievement in film-making; the special effects might not be a "bang bang" as others. In fact, I rarely watch mainstream hollywood movies in theatres. I think there is more emphasis on "spectacle" and visual effects than storytelling. The last two movies that I saw were the works of Christopher Nolan (apparently, he tries to restrict the computer graphics).

The beauty of the film is that visual effects are used effectively to convey the story; and they never seem overloaded the technical achievement might not look as bombastic as others. However, we need to appreciate the fact that most of the film happens in space. I still can't wrap my head around the way they have achieved the sense of weightlessness (this movie wasn't shot in space but couple of studios in London).

Again the technical prowess has been used to convey the immersive, visceral experience of weightlessness and what it means to be in the space and go through the devastation. The movie achieves many of it's objectives and I think it would still be one of the best sci-fi movies. Future of film is going to be quite exciting. Many of the flicks are better off on a DVD; this movie actually demonstrates the potential of big screen and 3D.

It is a work of fiction and there could be minor flaws; but still a plausible story. I believe in miracles and I also believe that truth can be stranger than fiction. [Spoiler Alert] If a newborn baby can survive a plane crash in our world; why can't this character survive against all odds[/Spoiler Alert]. Instead of focusing on nitpicking the flaws; we could enjoy this as a work of art and learn a thing or two along the way.

I think it conveyed to me a message of an extraordinary potential of human will and what we can make of it through our decisions and will-power the movie ultimately celebrates the human spirit. The director says that the debris is a metaphor for the difficulties we face in life. My favourite character is the George Clooney's Matt Kowalsky. I admire the fact that he could keep his calm even in the adverse of situations; I'm inspired by his heroism.

Last edited:
Well I missed both the Imax and Atmos formats and planning to watch it again at Phoenix this weekend. IIRC, this would be the first movie I watch in theatre for the second time.

But I never classified it as science or sci-fi, I just said it is highly improbable.
Never said you did (check my posts). My original post had been in reply to this:
Did you not watch the scene where Sandra Bullock is using a fire extinguisher to navigate herself toward the Chinese Station?
I am not saying its a bad thing and Sci-Fi is by definition a twist of the reality...

Also a science question - if there is no atmosphere in space to conduct any disturbance how can human skin feel any type of low frequency effect?
Their space suits have an atmosphere that can conuct vibrations whenever they come into contact with anything.

KNeeraj, come to Mumbai and watch the movie with a good screen and sound system. :)

No problem if you don't endorse the hype but that shouldn't be the basis why you rate it a 7 out of 10.

This movie is meant for IMAX format. I can't imagine smaller screens doing justice to the movie after watching it in IMAX. Not everyone will watch it in IMAX but it is what it is. Also the 3D glasses neither dim the picture nor irritate like normal screens do.

Santy,

I'll be going again this weekend with friends at Phoenix IMAX. Want to catch up? My home is 10 minutes drive from there. Maybe you can drop in. My invitation.

Ok. Then they will experience those vibrations which are happening on the things they are in contact with .
So they will not be feeling which is happening to anything else with void between. How accurate is movie in this context? Anyone noticed?
When you watch the movie, notice that the sound effects sound muffled compared to other movies, like listening to sounds underwater (sounds transmitting through something denser than air).

Also, sounds only happen when characters make contact with something (or someone).

To make up for lack of sound effects and background ambience, the music tracks the action pretty closely.

Yes, we can hear only the voices of the characters and the sound of their physical interactions (when they are outside the ship). However, in the trailer, if you notice, they have added sound to all explosions/ collisions etc since it had to be more dynamic and dramatic than the movie itself.

I watched Gravity at IMAX- PVR @ Phoenix, superb movie , but not up to the mark sound effects, the icing on the cake was teaser of Dhoom 3, IMAX version, Dhoom 3 sound effects are better the Gravity's :) looking forward for Dhoom 3, anyway IMAX wadala is better than IMAX PVR, Phoenix.

Back