Great musicians of the 20th century

panditji

Even the E250 Accuphase is 200K+ so it is a bit of a stretch to buy one. But I would suggest you look for a used E350. You may also need to upgrade your CDP once you buy an Accuphase. Also the cables and interconnects. Better to move slowly and buy good stuff than to "buy now regret later" stuff. I am sure 'chairman' would also tell you to build a system which will last you from here to eternity :)

Personally I am very happy with the Bryston pre/power combo. Earlier I was looking for an Accuphase E450 but now I feel it would be a sideways move rather than an upgrade. If I ever want to change (may not happen) I would be more inclined towards an Esoteric A-02 power amp. Perhaps one day in the distant future, when I can spare the cash, and I have had a chance to audition it.

A-02 | Amplifiers / Preamps | Esoteric Company

Ajay, I have been scouting forums of Hongkong, Singapore, Malaysia and even the UK for some time now and over the past few months a number of used Accuphase Integrateds have been available for around 1.5 lakhs especially in Hongkong...... Also Singapore also has a very good used market and with some luck I hope to find a used McIntosh 6300 or 6900 there ....So I have to keep a budget of 1.5 lakhs and start saving....I have no plans and funds to buy one right now but should be able to save in the next 15-18 months...I am inclined towards an Accuphase E350 or McIntosh 6300 or 6900 obviously used....

In Singapore recently the McIntosh dealer was offering a demo McIntosh MA 7000 2 months old for 5200 SGD which is a steal....If I get something like that used for even 4 years at around SGD 3500, I should be lucky....

But the above will take a long time and I agree with you on buying a good piece even if I have to wait extra.... Yes, I think the Chairman of the Board would be pleased with my thinking.....

A brand new SOUL album by the poster boy of 70's pop and rock & roll! Although I have not played his songs for close to 25 years I have a soft corner for Cliff Richard. He introduced me to 'western music'. Devil Woman and We Don't Talk Anymore were my favorite songs when I was in school. It's good to hear that he is still rocking and rolling and souling :)

His new album SOULICIOUS is currently in Amazon's Top 100. Good going!

Soulicious The Soul Album: Cliff Richard: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Sir Cliff Richard - Don't Say You Love Me (From Soulicious 2011).wmv - YouTube

Folk music in the United States has its roots in inspiring songs sung by workers, blacks and poor people in the 1930's. These songs were not created or sung for commercial gains. They were more like stories of hardships being faced by poor people and about their dream and aspirations. Many folk songs were derived from gospel music. One of the first popular folk songs was derived from Reverend Charlie Tindley's I'll Overcome Some Day. "The world is one great battlefield/With forces all arrayed/If in my heart I do not yield/I'll overcome some day." By the 1950's this song had metamorphosed into "We Shall Overcome" and become the marching song of the American civil rights movement.

During the years 1930-1960 Lead Belly, Josh White, Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger, The Weavers and The Kingston Trio introduced folk music to a wider audience. In the late 40's Moses Asch formed Folkways Records for recording folk music and this label has played an important part in preserving folk music. Folkways Records was acquired by the Smithsonian Institute in the 80's. Folk music CD's from these years may not be visible in neighbourhood music stores but can be downloaded from popular sites like iTunes.

iTunes - Music - The Asch Recordings, Vol. 1-4 by Woody Guthrie
iTunes - Music - Leadbelly
iTunes - Music - Josh White Vol. 1 1929-1933 by Josh White

In the early 60's a new generation of folks singers emerged from Greenwich village to protest against war, the nuclear arms race, poverty, equality and other social and political issues. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Phil Ochs, Joni Mitchell, Peter, Paul And Mary gained popularity and were sought after by record companies. The early 60's trend was towards singer/songwriters. Solo men and women wielding an acoustic guitar and a writing their own songs. Change came in the form of a British invasion by The Beatles, Rolling Stones and later bands like The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd and Queen. Even Bob Dylan, the poster boy of folk music, famously plugged in an electric guitar at The Newport Festival in 1965 to loud cries of Judas! from outraged folk music fans. But Dylan's answer was more on the lines of "Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine".

And there was no looking back. The Rock 'n' Roll juggernaut flattened out everything that came in its way. Folk, Jazz, Blues, Soul, Reggae and R&B were unable to compete with the mainstream visibility of rock music. Popular rock bands borrowed from all these genres and whether they improved or ultimately demolished a lot of great traditions is debatable. I grew up listening to rock music and thought it was the greatest story story ever told. But you live and you change and in my 20's I started viewing a lot of rock music in a different light. In the light of the morning after, the idealism and rebellion of rock seemed to be tinged with plastic rather than steel. The spoken words seemed to be synthetic and self serving rather than inspiring or healing. And the music seemed to be repetitive and predictable rather than bold or original. I believe that the singer/songwriter tradition was a great tradition. The best rock music came out of this tradition. Songs like This Land Is Your Land, I Ain't Marching Anymore, Blowing In The Wind, Imagine and A Change Is Gonna Come cannot be written by a team of hacks desperately trying to create a catchy lovesick lullaby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrK6L91BgA

Last edited:
Brian 'Roxy Music' Eno is back. This time as producer of the new Coldplay album Mylo Xyloto. Is their new album different from their earlier ones? Has the presence of Brian Eno made a difference? Personally I have no idea, as the only Coldplay songs I have heard are the ubiquitous Yellow and Viva La Vida.

Samples and complete tracks from the new album have been put up the band on You Tube. The song I enjoyed listening to was Hurts Like Heaven.

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven (Live on Letterman) - YouTube

Panditji, Edwin in Accuphase Singapore should have an E-407, which i believe is in mint condition, and dealer piece. that would be better than e-350, perhaps.

There are a couple of Accuphase Integrateds for sale in Singapore but right now I do not have the funds :sad:

There is an E-308 and a couple of 407s and 408s on sale for very decent prices but still a little indecent for me....

I have a closed mind when it comes to post 80's rock. I think it is a pale version of the 60's scene. I guess I am too old and too fixated with the past to appreciate it. But there are a few post 80's bands who are really good. And the best one is probably Nirvana. Smells like Teen Spirit is one of the all time great rock tracks. And there are plenty of other good songs by them.

Nirvana - Come As You Are - YouTube

too fixated with the past to appreciate it.
Sometimes me wonders does/should appreciation change with time ? Can new generation who may not like 60s to 80s music know the difference between old and new without learning about it ? Because these days they have "Bhag Bhag D. K. Bose." "Ja chudail" ? Does/Should morality/obscenity perception change over time ? What was obscene yesterday is no longer considered as such today.
prelude to shape of things to come ?

Sometimes me wonders does/should appreciation change with time ? Can new generation who may not like 60s to 80s music know the difference between old and new without learning about it ? Because these days they have "Bhag Bhag D. K. Bose." "Ja chudail" ? Does/Should morality/obscenity perception change over time ? What was obscene yesterday is no longer considered as such today.
prelude to shape of things to come ?

the past 10 years have tossed up a lot of lyrics that would would have made more than eye brows to raise....

Imagine lyrics like I wanna F#(K you in the ass... and then there are some very famous hip-hop tracks that if i quited their lyrics here i'd be banned in a trice!

todays world is beyond merely being irreverntail... it a generation that respects NOTHING... and it reflects in the output....

hiten, malvai

Early morning on Diwali day I accompanied my daughter to watch Ra. One at a local multiplex. I did not expect it to be a great or even a good children's film, but my daughter loves early morning excursions to movie halls with the inevitable tubs of popcorn/cold drink or pc/cd as she has shortened it too :)

Pedestrian script, acting, dialogues. Devoid of any plot, theme or substance. Wannabe Hollywood special effects which were reasonably good. But what was shocking about the film was the onslaught of cheap vulgarity and obscenity in what is supposed to be a children's film. One persons version of vulgarity may be another persons version of 'good fun' but personally I found all the below the belt innuendoes and jokes very depressing, offensive and meaningless.

Well, I listen to a lot of metal and yea the new bands got nothing the older bands offered, be lyrics, be the rush you get.. One of my fav bands would be Megadeth, just check out their stuff from albums like Countdown to Extinction, Rust in Peace, Youthanasia etc..
Those days I think money was less important, it was getting drunk by evening that mattered.. That created a lot of great musicians who expressed their feelings rather than do some stuff to make money!!

Those days I think money was less important, it was getting drunk by evening that mattered..

Precisely. Earlier generations of rock musicians and fans seemed to live for the day, for the moment. The future be damned! Iconic lyrics like "Its better to burn out than it is to rust" and "Hope I die before I get old" were geared towards living the present moment and enjoying the sensations and happiness it could provide. With the current set of 'synthetic' rock musicians there seems to be an obvious disconnect between their anguished, rebellious lyrics and the designer clothes, sun glasses and hair cuts they are sporting.

Its not just musicians, these days everybody seems to be in an acquisition race. The entire population of our glorious planet, hurtling nonchalantly towards the mother of all Great Depressions, wants to gather enough money not only to secure their future but also the future of several more generations to come. But in their mad pursuit of future nirvanas they seem to have forgotten how to enjoy the present :)

BING CROSBY & LOUIS ARMSTRONG - 'Gone Fishin' - 1951 78rpm - YouTube

It would not be appropriate to say that everything was creative back then. But ever increasing population, access to lots of medium and tons of information and knowledge, one can expect same amount of creative expression. So much for the so called progress we are making. I guess with easy access to "success" by thousands of singing and dancing shows has taken toll on creativity.
In future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes.-Andy Warhol
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. - Orson Welles

Circumstances not only makes you creative but talented.​
talented Indian guy!!!!!!! - YouTube
Almost makes me feel like picking him up and set him in proper place.​

The first time I came across Phoebe Snows music was in the late 70s. Initially, I got hold of two of her albums, one self-titled-1974 and the other Second Childhood-1976. Later on came to own It looks like snow-1976 & the Live album of 2008.

Her musical output was limited; considering her career spanned almost 35 years (less than a dozen albums to her credit). She left the music scene in the80s to take care of her mentally challenged daughter, who died in 2007.

Snow was a great singer-songwriter of our times. Her vocal range was just incredible. It is difficult to categorize her style - there is some jazz/blues/funk with plenty of soul. Her best known song is Poetry Man - Her version of Shaky ground & Dont let me down are better than the originals or others who covered these songs. Besides, she has plenty of other great originals songs to her credit.

I also have one more rousing live album The New York Rock & Soul Revue - Live at the Beacon-1991. This album was a concept by Donald Fagan - wherein he along with Phoebe Snow, Charles Brown, Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald, Brigati brothers & others came to perform live at Beacon Theatre. For me, this album somehow typifies the music created by Snow.

Phoebe Snow passed away April this year, at the age of 60, after a stroke that she suffered in 2010.

Last edited:
After listening to a lot of guitar players, I would say that David Gilmour is pretty cool and so are Eddie Van Halen, Kirk Hammett and Dave Mustaine

Reuben dude you missed out on a hell lot of guitar players, try Marty Friedman from megadeth, Jeff Waters from annihilator, Dimebag Darrell from Pantera, Alex skolnick from testament, Ritchie Blackmore,Zakk Wylde, then the ever mighty Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Steve vai, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Johnson.. woohoo gives me goosebumps typin these names.. Some of the best names and some of the most unforgettable solos..

And guys if you have the time do check out the amazing Jason Becker from Cacophony who had a career of just 1.5 years and got paralyzed. Even now he composes music with his eyes.. I am not kidding.. With his eyes..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back