Grey market imported receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamalgaur

#7 - Grey market imported receivers

Has anyone bought grey-market imported receivers from online sites, or local dealers who provide seller warranty and/or no warranty?
Were there any hiccups in your experience?
Who would you recommend as dealers who can supply at competitive rates to Bangalore?

Not the best idea. A good receiver is expensive, would you take a risk on such an investment and receivers do go bad. The failure rate on receivers is much higher than on stereo amplifiers.

Hi

Grey Market sellers are good sometime and AVRs are safe to an extent....i purchased twice in Mumbai over the last 14 years and never faced any issue.

It all depends from whom you are buying, if the product is genuine and how you use the same.

Usually nothing happens for a year or two and in India warranty is only offered for 1 year which is sad when compared to the Western countries where at least 3-5 years is offered.

Anyways, with so many brands and models, there is stiff competition in the AVR + Speakers market that most of them try to underquote or sell to ensure running business....the key is to explore as many dealers and make a decision for purchase.

In Bengaluru, there are many many dealers, why not go and audition what you want and decide....

I will not rely on grey market for anything worth more than 20k, unless you know the person very well and sure that he/she can be relied on.

Any recommendation on buying Marantz 5010 from Singapore or locally here ? Will be visiting soon but then too from warranty perspective and if any price indicator here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the price difference. If its considerable then it may be worth the risk. Like efernand says, most problems are faced after the warranty period is done. so if you do a test and it works well and the price difference is considerable then i would go for it

Any idea with current pricing in Mumbai for marantz 5010

Hi,

Mrp is @ 90k levels...online available for 85k and grey should be approx 70-75k...presently not available

I haven' tried the grey market route yet.. But intend to do so in the near future..

For some models, there is 50% differences.. And for some brands, these ppl have greater access to spare (HDMI Board's) than the authorised service center could provide..That is very strange..

Take Pioneer VSX 1131 model.. I guess the cheapest is Hifimart at about 65K.. If you get it from a dealer, def 65K +.... The grey market price is 38 - 42K which is roughly 30K cheaper which is huge..

I haven' tried the grey market route yet.. But intend to do so in the near future..

For some models, there is 50% differences.. And for some brands, these ppl have greater access to spare (HDMI Board's) than the authorised service center could provide..That is very strange..

Take Pioneer VSX 1131 model.. I guess the cheapest is Hifimart at about 65K.. If you get it from a dealer, def 65K +.... The grey market price is 38 - 42K which is roughly 30K cheaper which is huge..

Absolutely correct Elangoas. Sometimes get feeling that these dealers are sacking Indian customers with such huge profit margin when the same product is available on grey and out side India to nearly half their price.

True that.. I bought pioneer BD player for 8k while dealer price was above 12k. working great till now (1.5 years).

Absolutely correct Elangoas. Sometimes get feeling that these dealers are sacking Indian customers with such huge profit margin when the same product is available on grey and out side India to nearly half their price.

Its not the profit margin, but the tax part which comes in when people want to do business legally and on a straight forward path. If govt shows readiness to lower tax brackets compared to singapore or US, the grey market in India will perish immediately. Encouraging grey market can be called as another form of piracy, but here the impact is not on the producer but on genuine merchants and Indian economy

Its not the profit margin, but the tax part which comes in when people want to do business legally and on a straight forward path. If govt shows readiness to lower tax brackets compared to singapore or US, the grey market in India will perish immediately. Encouraging grey market can be called as another form of piracy, but here the impact is not on the producer but on genuine merchants and Indian economy

As long as the price is controlled by the distributors, no one change the scenario of cost of AVR's in India..

When a Lenovo K3 Note is manufactured in China and imported to both US & India.. US Price is $150 while India price is Approx 9K which is almost similar or less than the US cost.. which i think is because the price is controlled by manufacturer...

Now imagine if a distributor is importing this phone to India and paying duty diligently, how much should it cost?

very unlikely that these grey market products are smuggled in. Tax is paid on it. its the route to market that makes a difference. also generally speaking these grey market items will not have a listening / demo room etc and their margins are also very low when compared to a normal dealer

Anyone aware of any good shop in Singapore for marantz pricing,
As am planning to visit personally and don't have much luggage while coming back I can plan to
bring it.

I got my Pioneer 930 from a grey market source in chennai/bangalore for a great price few months ago. It was absolutely sealed and has been performing great ever since. I would certainly go for it again. Do PM me if you need the contact

A lot of my stuff is from the Grey Market. Have had no issues with any of them yet. The price difference I feel comes from the fact that they are not sold in a Shop, no Demo, no bill, no warranty, no middle men basically. Most of the times, custom duties are paid.

MaSh

Its all a matter of luck, there are some dealers also who provide equipment without warranty at grey market rates....most of them don't have full fledged shop ..so no demo etc provided except, you can open and see the product...cash deal...that's it...

I have ventured a couple of times and so far have not faced any issues....whats the point of warranty when it is only for a year.....technically nothing goes wrong to any equipment provided you use it appropriately.....

My First Marantz the NR1601 was from the grey market and worked well, after 2 years sold it locally and it still works....unfortunately for me, that dealer does not exists today...else I would have continued my purchases....

Pricing difference is huge is it?
50% cheaper than dealers? are grey market products are locally assemebled? can we have auro 3d upgrade on grey market products? why dealers are taking consumers for ride?is really pioneer is available vsx 1131 @42k?
great .still worth taking risk.
hope dealers will provide this feedback to oem as pricing policy is very high for those who want to go dealer route.
we need to have one scheme /website, some place where people can order in mass to oem and everyone should get good discount.Hope this is voice of customer ,OEM /indian dealers can wake up take such initiatives like last years series of AVRS can be sold to group of peoples for good discount with warranty.

The Pioneer LX 59 sells in the grey market for 75K.. While it costs 125K + if u were to get it from dealer...

Price difference is more than 50% as you move to higher end AVR's..

Sent from my YU5510A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back