Best full range driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
urmm?

where are the plans for the12p ?
pencil and superpencil

i could only find the older 12alpair plans

Also soundnovice
when is the dealer saying he may have stock of the 10.2/10.3 ?

exactly! any OB would require that much space for its operation. for the same reason i am keeping my hands away from OB! one possible solution (although not the best one) would be to have fullrangers in OB and sub/woofers in sealed box.

will that reduce the space required behind the speakers?

one possible solution (although not the best one) would be to have fullrangers in OB and sub/woofers in sealed box.

will that reduce the space required behind the speakers?

I think soundnovice's suggestion is similiar to Viren's Amity speakers (the ones with the foxtex FE166 full ranger and the Eminence Beta woofer). I have heard the Amity and they worked ok close to the wall. Of course, the greater the amount of breathing space you can provide around the corner, the better it will sound.

Best,
APK

Please note that all pencil designs follow the principle of 'simplicity'. the designer known as 'scottmoose' on diyaudio himself mentioned that pencils were made simple so that many DIYers could be able to build them. the simplicity is compromised with bit lesser performance. whereas brine's design take into account all the factors of MLTL design and do not compromise on dimensions.

no cab design change between the old alpair 12 metal dome (which is shown on the link ) and the newer 12p paper dome ?
hmm

Hi Magma,
The link posted by soundnovice gives the plan for the 12, which is the older model. There is a difference between the plans for the old 12 and the newer 12p. The newer cabinets are shorter and deeper.

Am pasting the link which I had posted a while ago on this thread giving the source for the 12p plans

you can find the plans for both in this pdf - both are shown on the same pdf. The only difference between the pensil and super-pensil design is the depth of the cabinet. Height and width remains the same.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/PensilsA122p-191012.pdf

Best,
APK

To cover lower octaves, integrating a subwoofer is best option with the fullrangers. This will help in achieving more extension, lesser distortion, better resolution. One must choose a large cone subwoofer against the marketing junk which is forced upon us. One such implementation i did was with Cadence speakers and 21inch Sub Avepa.

The active XO should be around 70-100hz to bypass lower octave towards sub and rest of it goes to fullrangers.

To cover lower octaves, integrating a subwoofer is best option with the fullrangers. This will help in achieving more extension, lesser distortion, better resolution. One must choose a large cone subwoofer against the marketing junk which is forced upon us. One such implementation i did was with Cadence speakers and 21inch Sub Avepa.

The active XO should be around 70-100hz to bypass lower octave towards sub and rest of it goes to fullrangers.

'lesser distortion' is what matters most next to 'dynamics' when it comes to integrating subs with fullrangers in my opinion. i totally agree with Kanwar here

Ok got it. Then I think I will need to wait for the stock of the new Alpairs. As and when it is available I am in for a pair.

thanks

Sorry if it looks a odd doubt,
Do the speakers made from these Alpair drivers not need tweeters, also what about the crossover?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back