Group Buy for single driver speaker build

Best full range driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
how about the 12P? i don't mind it at all.... In fact, I am confirming it! So go ahead let the dealer know that the 12P is mine!

Last edited:
for future A12P owners!
M12-A12 - diyAudio

Thanks Soundnovice for sharing this link.

I had already seen this thread on diyaudio. I still think I prefer either the pensil or the super pensil design for the 12p. Also, brines plans have to be bought from him (I think they cost $25), whereas the pensil and super pensil designs are available for free.

Thanks
APK.

how about the 12P? i don't mind it at all.... In fact, I am confirming it! So go ahead let the dealer know that the 12P is mine!

Great! That makes 2 of us for the 12P, which is also the minimum number required for the 12P group buy!

Have you given any thought about which cabinet design you want to use? The designs that I know of are:
(1) Pensil - floor standers (transmission line) - available free
(2) Super Pensil - floor standers (transmission line) - available free
(3) Bob brines design (transmission line) - need to be purchased
(4) Mar-Ken design - bookshelves - available free
(5) Mark Audio Double Bass Reflex - bookshelves - available free

Best,
APK

Great! That makes 2 of us for the 12P, which is also the minimum number required for the 12P group buy!

Have you given any thought about which cabinet design you want to use? The designs that I know of are:

Best,
APK

Right now the toss up is between 2 and 3...

Best,
APK

1 is not for A12P.
superpencil has got quite complext bracing structure.
Mar-Ken's volume is obviously less so cant expect much bass but proven to be good for mids.
bass reflex would simply ruin the sound!

Please try overlook my ignorance. Are you implying here that transmission line sound output quality is by far superior to bass reflex speaker designs? Or, is it the case when only full range drivers are in consideration to be mated to different speaker housings?

Please try overlook my ignorance. Are you implying here that transmission line sound output quality is by far superior to bass reflex speaker designs? Or, is it the case when only full range drivers are in consideration to be mated to different speaker housings?
as far as i know,
ported/bass reflex boxes offer that 'rumble' feeling when it plays lows which many love actually! for me that 'rumbling' is never a part of actual music. also bass reflex tries to extend the lower end beyond a particular driver's capability, which we should have never expected from a driver (this is usually termed as higher bass sensitivity and extended low end). all this results in 'lack of accuracy' or in other words 'poor transient response'.
i would say the superior box would be a simple 'sealed' one. no port, no TL and nothing of any fancy design. but sealed box is inefficient and cant extract lows better from any driver. hence TL is where the compromised solution lies. TL can have exteded lows to considerable extent and still have enough accuracy maintained.

1 is not for A12P.
superpencil has got quite complext bracing structure.
Mar-Ken's volume is obviously less so cant expect much bass but proven to be good for mids.

I have downloaded the 12.2P plans for the pensil/super-pensil. The only difference between the two designs is that the depth of the super-pensil build is around 18-19 inches, whereas the depth for the pensil build is around 10-11 inches. Other than that, the height and width of both the pensil and super-pensil build for a12p is the same. From whatever I have read, the super-pensil will offer a little more low end extension as compared to the pensil design.

You mentioned elsewhere on the thread that you have heard the 12p in the super-pensil design. Was this in India? or somewhere abroad?

Best,
APK

You mentioned elsewhere on the thread that you have heard the 12p in the super-pensil design. Was this in India? or somewhere abroad?

Best,
APK
at one of forum member hemant (from bangalore) place i heard these A12p in super pencils. he has got a thread on HFV, but need to search.

I suggest, go with (3) Bob brines design (transmission line) - need to be purchased

Hi Bijin,
Any reason for suggesting the design from Bob brines as compared to the pensil/super-pensil design? From whatever I have read in diyaudio.com, the pensil/super-pensil seems to be more preferred. Of course, my opinion is based on what I have read, and hence I could be completely wrong here.

Best,
APK

So, if I have understood it correct, it is always better to settle for 'sealed' main speakers (either 2 or 5 speakers, as the case may be) and complement the lower end by adding a powered sub-woofer. I gather, since the 'sealed' speakers could be inefficient, sufficient higher powered amp/avr might be a requirement. Else, TL is the best way to get an exquisite yet overall vfm compromise. Right?

Sorry for the OT!

at one of forum member hemant (from bangalore) place i heard these A12p in super pencils. he has got a thread on HFV, but need to search.

I guess you are refering to this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/11519-building-pencil-12-series-alpair-12-a.html

This build seems to be for the Alpair 12 drivers, which are the previous version of the one we are talking about (12P). The alpair 12 drivers (version 1) were made of metal, whereas the latest one is made of paper - hence the nomenclature 12P.

What were your throughts on the sound from the Alpair12 in pensil design (which is what Hemant seems to have built)

Best,
APK

So, if I have understood it correct, it is always better to settle for 'sealed' main speakers (either 2 or 5 speakers, as the case may be) and complement the lower end by adding a powered sub-woofer. I gather, since the 'sealed' speakers could be inefficient, sufficient higher powered amp/avr might be a requirement. Else, TL is the best way to get an exquisite yet overall vfm compromise. Right?

Sorry for the OT!
yes, but again there are lot of other factors for deciding on such setup!
if ur after music, then matching sub to rest of the drivers is complex. for movies it may not matter much. sub and main speakers need to have that 'continuity' factor between them complementing each other. it is somewhat hard to achieve in my opinion.
this problem can be solved to larger extent by having active xover between sub and main speakers rather than having/adjusting low pass on the powered sub. on another hand distortion in the lows produced by sub are capable of ruining overall music(this is altogether a different topic and solutions exist ofcourse).
isn't it nice to have single driver approach to avoid most of these problems (and cost)!? this was the basic purpose of initiation of this GB!!

Sorry for the OT!

that is not correct. it is always better to have open baffle. well, I think "always" better is incorrect for any design.

I guess you are refering to this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/11519-building-pencil-12-series-alpair-12-a.html

This build seems to be for the Alpair 12 drivers, which are the previous version of the one we are talking about (12P). The alpair 12 drivers (version 1) were made of metal, whereas the latest one is made of paper - hence the nomenclature 12P.

What were your throughts on the sound from the Alpair12 in pensil design (which is what Hemant seems to have built)

Best,
APK
i guess i missed the driver details when i listened quite a bit of time back (sorry for my ignorance). yes they looked metallic, so they were obviously not 12P! unfortunately Hemant was out of country, so couldnt have a detailed audition.
in a word i could describe them as 'full'. faithfully reproducing lows and mids and highs but at low end i think they rolled off early. but nevertheless bass was lot smoother. in that department, its comparable to 10.2. being larger cone, the advantage of pushing more air was evident. mids lived upto the reputations of alpairs.

that is not correct. it is always better to have open baffle. well, I think "always" better is incorrect for any design.
OB! thats every man's dream :eek:hyeah:
if i am blessed with a large room and budget, then OBs is what i could look for, for the best in sound. others may not agree but OBs have some magic.
several people have built OB using A12P(and some other alpair models) coupled with 12" or 15" woofers/subs in H-frame. having larger cone and efficiency, A12P are suitable candidates for OB applications.

anm, are you planning for OB?

I was thinking of - from GR research. but the requirement of placing them at least 3 ft away from rear wall makes it difficult placement in my living room. :(

I was thinking of - from GR research. but the requirement of placing them at least 3 ft away from rear wall makes it difficult placement in my living room. :(
exactly! any OB would require that much space for its operation. for the same reason i am keeping my hands away from OB! one possible solution (although not the best one) would be to have fullrangers in OB and sub/woofers in sealed box.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back