Group Buy for single driver speaker build

Best full range driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have one doubt and cant help but ask it:
How will the Mark Audio drivers fare in a horn loaded design? I am confused between Fostex and Mark Audio. fostex are said to be better suited for horn loaded designs with some proven combinations. At this moment a horn loaded design is the one I really want (am advised).
(Reason for asking: I have been guided for horn loaded design for my taste of music.) Either reply or PM me. Don't want to dilute this good thread :)
Thanks!

Rohitmusic,
My doubts exactly! I have also been comtemplating getting either the MA or Fostex, but confused about which one. BTW, the frugal horn mk3 design is suited for a wide variety of single drivers, including the fostex 126 and MA CHP70, CHR70, alpair 7 etc. Bibin from our forum is planning to make a frugal horn using fostex 126. I have read about a few builds on diyaudio forum using MA in the frugal horn design and the owners seem to be quite happy.

I guess I am taking this thread OT. Will continue further discussions on foxtex vs MA in another thread. Apologies to the OP.

APK.

updated list,
1. sashijoseph ( qty=2)
2. magma ( qty=2)
3. jaybe ( qty=5)
4. harsh247(qty=2)

Please note that i shall update the availability of drivers(grey or gold) as they are going out of stock soon (not because 10.3 is out, which is still in developmental stage but dealer wants to push out his present stock of 10.2s). his next stock may cost more than 160USD(gold)/150USD(grey) but will carry some discount.

Last edited:
available stock!

A10.2 gold cone: 6 pcs.
A10.2 grey cone: 6 pcs.

new prices are going to be costlier!!

committed buyers please PM me your contact details as soon as possible.

Interested PM sent.

Sorry i jumped the gun :)...my idea is to build a open baffle (with locally available 2 x12 inch Alpha or beta per side).

Using MJK worksheets the Alpair doesn't model well (while the L CAO 6.5 Alnico does with Alpha 12)

Sorry again.

I saw that link its a kappalite 15 on a h frame, I'm looking for alpha or beta 12 in a open baffle.

But one good thing is the Alpair would not require a super tweeter.

Last edited:
I saw that link its a kappalite 15 on a h frame, I'm looking for alpha or beta 12 in a open baffle.

But one good thing is the Alpair would not require a super tweeter.
alpair12p is better suited for OB as i have read on diyaudio. couple it with bigger woofer may be 15" or even 18" pro. such combination may achieve real live performance kind of sound reproduction as both could be able to move pretty good amount of air. however u may need a super tweeter in case of alpair12p but it depends on your listening tastes.

magma ,
yes my build is in mdf .

hmm
good call

though Bob recommends PLy
i have found ply not be as dead as MDF
it tends to play along

in some designs the resonances that ply has "works" with the driver and speaker
But i try not to make those bets

im guessing you figure this too
or was it that MDF is cheaper / and or easier ?

hi magma ,
no I had not figured it out . hfm "kaushik" suggested for mdf . I had actually not given it much a thought . but neither did I hear much about ply either , w.r.t. speakers.

I did not check the rates for ply .
but I'd say ..... ply or mdf these speakers ( mark audio 10.2) are awesome since the cabinet design is so simple and yet they sound so great . :)

manish

hmm
good call

though Bob recommends PLy
i have found ply not be as dead as MDF
it tends to play along

in some designs the resonances that ply has "works" with the driver and speaker
But i try not to make those bets

im guessing you figure this too
or was it that MDF is cheaper / and or easier ?

Hi Prashant,

I am interested and would like to get a pair of these Alpair 10 Gen-2 speakers.
Please consider.

Thanks.

updated list,
1. sashijoseph ( qty=2 grey) - payment pending
2. jaybe ( qty=6 gold) - will pay directly to seller
3. harsh247(qty=2 grey ) - paid
4. j_jaga (qty = 2 grey ) - payment pending

(magma counted out)

updated list,
1. sashijoseph ( qty=2 grey) - paid
4. j_jaga (qty = 2 grey ) - payment pending

updated list/status,
1. sashijoseph ( qty=2 grey) - paid
4. j_jaga (qty = 2 grey ) - paid

sorry im too late
changed my mind again

im in for a pair
soundnovice pls mail the seller and request for a discount on my behalf
i will pay you directly

in reality the GB will pull 4-12months and there is no rocket science for the cabinet buillds for Mark audio 10.2 ,so why wait ?

how big will be savings ?

Think about this :

most drop shippers will deliver 1 pair of drivers here in 3-4k shipping say 2k duty (addition to the driver cost) thatz it
it is a 15day ordering job.

you will hardly get 200Rs dicount for buying MDF /ply in GB .
labour also will be minimal as the design is very simple .
The cabinet build takes 1 day without finish with wood veneers.Same day evening you can start listening and let them burn in .
The outer can be sanded and veneers can be applied on any other freeday (very nice looking veneers 570/- a sheet )

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back