Group Buy for single driver speaker build

Best full range driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Soundnovice,

DIY is always welcomed and it is such DIY efforts and Group buys that help budget friendly audiophile grade audio possible!

Can you please share some more details like:
What is the minimum group buy quantity that is required?
Also how much would be costing if we do GB?

BTW I have read some really good reviews on the Alpair 10

This will help us get some concrete idea. :)

Thanks!

For the Betsy-K there is a nice MLTL design on diyaudio. Search for "wibaq". A bit large though IMO.

Hi Soundnovice,

DIY is always welcomed and it is such DIY efforts and Group buys that help budget friendly audiophile grade audio possible!

Can you please share some more details like:

BTW I have read some really good reviews on the Alpair 10

This will help us get some concrete idea. :)

Thanks!

5 pairs
for minimum order of 5 pairs,
* alpair 10gen2(gold cone) will cost 180USD/pair (this is 40USD lesser than
what madisound offers!). Grey cone costs 10USD less
* dealer is based in hongkong so shipping cost will be lesser compared
to sourcing from US
* shipping cost and customs depends on the total order

Last edited:
I will also throw in the Fonken family of designs (which I believe are originally inspired from the Altek Onkens). They are designed by Planet-10 and they sell kits etc commercially but also support the DIY community, and freely share their designs.

I always wanted to build Fonken monitors myself but never managed to get the project started, even though I bought a pair of Fostex FX120 from Madisound for the same. The design also instinctively sounds like a robust design (to me), especially the way the ports are designed and the way the cabinet is braced.

The Alpairs for sure have impressive specs and a great reputation. There are Fonken designs available for the Alpair 10s as well, to my knowledge.

Anyway, just a two cent suggestion - I'm sure there are hundreds of other options :) All the very best!

Regards,
Arun

I'm in for the mark audio

Request
Sound novice
Please supply us with the complete cabinet build plan

I am uselessly lazy and not very good at calculations

I have built his ported smaller design
I liked it

Box plans

there are two plans which are simple and proven desigs!
* one is small bookshelf (Erich's Hartmann's bookshelf box)
[ this one i recently built. please take a look at http://www.hifivision.com/diy/41329-mark-alpair-10-gen-2-vented-box-speakers.html ]

* another is MLTL floorstander(Dave & Scott's Pensil 10.2 design)
both these plans are at below link in pdf format
Alpair 10 Gold | Markaudio
example build,
View attachment 9944

* Brine's M10-A10, but this one needs to be purchased at 25USD. i read on diyaudio.com that, M10-A10 has a very slight edge over pencil design and reaches few Hz low.
M10-A10

* in the same MA link above, there are free plans for slim golden ratio bass reflex cabinets also

* if space, budget (and wife! :rolleyes:) allow, then
Woden Design | Silbury

Last edited:
Hmm
The pencil design it is then

The drivers are in hk
Will mark ship from hk to Mumbai?

Alternatively can he ship to guanzaho china?
I can have them brought in a container from there?

What's the opinion poll?
Marks speakers or the others ?

Hmm
The pencil design it is then

The drivers are in hk
Will mark ship from hk to Mumbai?

Alternatively can he ship to guanzaho china?
I can have them brought in a container from there?

What's the opinion poll?
Marks speakers or the others ?

thanks for your interest Magma. its not been long this GB thread started. i guess mark audio drivers are not that popular here. many have polled for fostex and some for mark, but as for now the thread is still in 'opinion collection' and 'discussion' phase. if atleast 5 people commit, then GB can be initiated.
mark will ship to India(to any city). the option u gave (i.e.shipping to guanzaho) seems to be good one especially if it can save on shipping cost.

Questions for mark in case we go with the mark audio

Design says to use multiply
But I have seen build pics with mdf

What is needed exactly

Also the centre of the driver is approx 30 inches off the floor
Is this optimum or we need to add a pedestal to bring it to 35-36

Sound novice
If you know pls reply
I'm trying to calculate e costing and viability of the project
Reds
Ali

Questions for mark in case we go with the mark audio

Design says to use multiply
But I have seen build pics with mdf

What is needed exactly

Also the centre of the driver is approx 30 inches off the floor
Is this optimum or we need to add a pedestal to bring it to 35-36

Sound novice
If you know pls reply
I'm trying to calculate e costing and viability of the project
Reds
Ali

mark has addressed issue about the choice of wood in below thread in the very first post,
Pensil 7 (Alpair 7) - diyAudio

Some thoughts on material selection:
1 - Hard woods - Very nice indeed. Should you be lucky enough to have access to Walnut, Cherry, Oak, High Density Pine, Teak etc. etc. then look for thickness of 12-mm or greater. If 12-mm is selected, you'll almost certainly need some bracing.
2 - Ply and laminates- I suggest looking for the better quality laminates, Marine ply's, Birch ply's and High Compression ply's should offer higher density and greater rigidity. I'd recommend a minimum thickness of 15-mm.
3 - MDF. This is the most common build material in use within the speaker cabinet industry. There's some controversy on the effectiveness of this material but in this case, I'm going to give it a recommendation. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if hard woods and ply's aren't readily available, build in MDF, you'll still get a good result. Stick to a thickness greater than 18-mm and consider adding some bracing.

the height of the pencil box is as per the MLTL design done using MJK sheets. its size is optimum and i think we should not alter the dimensions. altering dimensions, will certainly alter the sound. if one needs the driver height to ear level, then adding pedestal etc. can be done.

Hi !

I have built a pair of MLTL Towers with Fostex FF225WK Driver & FT17H Tweeter. The built is based on Bob Brines design and is described in the thread. http://www.hifivision.com/diy/27210-my-first-diy-mltl-speaker-build.html

Picture291.jpg

FF225WK is described to have a darker character in the sense that it is stronger in lower frequencies but erratic beyond 7K Hz. Thus it has been compensated by FT17H Tweeter. The Woofer i allowed to Roll away at higher frequency and the tweeter protected by a capacitor.

It is being played with Lyrita GM70 Amp, but I don't think I exceed even 10% of its (Amp) output. The Speakers go down to 40 Hz or so. Initially I used a Subwoofer but about two weeks or so later preferred to play without one.

FF225WK took a long time to break in. About 300+ hours. During this time there was a perceptible improvement to those who listen to it sporadically.

It is great for Vocals, Jazz, Indian Classical,POP, Bollywood, Country and Country Rock Music, but does tend to get confused with other heavy music.

My pleasure if any one wants to have a listen.

Cheers !

Jayant

Yesterday me and Jagdish went for auditioning these speakers at Jaybe's home. these speakers perform just as Jaybe has described above. what surprised us was the BASS! these 8" fullrangers were able to reach pretty low. truely 40hz at F3 as per the original design. for listening to most of the music genre such as vocals, jazz etc. these speakers wont need sub at all. all other advantages associated with fullrangers such as smooth mids applied to these speakers as well. Jaybe took time to compile some songs of different genre ranging from female vocals, male vocals, instruments, fusion music to classical for us to assess the speakers(along with crispy chats followed by juice :licklips: !!)
after listening to these speakers, i have got confidence in Brine's designs. the measurements published on his site, no doubt they are true (which is very rare by the way!!). Jaybe could confirm this here.
Thanks Jaybe for inviting us. My saturday didnt go wasted :yahoo:

I think Frugel-Horn Mk3 also matches with MA Alpair 10 driver.

That design is an Eye Candy one, at-least for me!

Sharing its complete design guide in pdf format below.

http://www.p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/frugel-hornMk3-1v0-250212.pdf

Plus this design support many other FR drivers

eg:

Fostex FE126En, FE126e, FE127e,FE138eSR, Mark Audio CHR-70, CHP-70, Alpair7, CSS EL70, and Tangband W5-1611 etc.

The design seems to be pretty simple to do as well.

Last edited:
I think Frugel-Horn Mk3 also matches with MA Alpair 10 driver.

That design is an Eye Candy one, at-least for me!

Sharing its complete design guide in pdf format below.

http://www.p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/frugel-hornMk3-1v0-250212.pdf

Plus this design support many other FR drivers

eg:

Fostex FE126En, FE126e, FE127e,FE138eSR, Mark Audio CHR-70, CHP-70, Alpair7, CSS EL70, and Tangband W5-1611 etc.

The design seems to be pretty simple to do as well.
but does the design supports alpair 10s? all the models listed are roughly of 4" size except for TB, and all of them have thier Fs above 60hz or so. alpair 10 has Fs of 35hz. if the default design fits in, then no doubt this design might have got highest WAF!! :) else dimensions need to be altered for alpair10

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back