Group Buy for single driver speaker build

Best full range driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
however there are few drivers which are specifically designed for horn loaded speakers only. example include lowther, audio nirvana and fostex(FE series) (there could be others too) drivers which have their freq. response characterized by an increasing slope above mids. this particular slope results in shouty sound. horn loading is the only easier way to tame them. please see the post #8 where i have given two graphs for this comparison.

Thanks, nice to know this.

i am not sure how horn loaded speakers are suitable for live sound reproduction. as far as know they are good to bring out better bass response(i.e.more efficiency at bass freq.).

I read it on Audio Nirvana site. P.S "Bass HORN Cabinets" section.
Adding some snippet:

Bass HORN Cabinets

Is there any situation where we could recommend a bass horn cabinet? Well, actually, there is one....

Classical music is unique in that the concert hall is an integral part of the enjoyment of the sound. It is virtually impossible to make a recording which can accurately capture a classical music performance. This is because when you sit in a concert hall, you hear many different sources of sound--the music coming directly from the orchestra--the reflections off side walls, the ceiling, the back of the hall--resonances coming from the floor under the orchestra and the hall itself. And stereo imaging is not an important element in orchestral works.

In this case, the colorations of a bass horn can mimic what goes on at a classical concert. It's not accurate, of course, but if it can simulate the actual event, then isn't that what's important? So, some of the liabilities of the bass horn design CAN become assets if many factors are carefully considered (like room placement, etc.)

But there is a way to produce the same results with bass reflex cabinets and we have done so. By mounting a second speaker on the top of the speaker--pointing up--it is possible to produce the same wide, spacious, ambient sound. Coincidentally, we call it the 2.8 'Ambience'. It produces a wonderful ambient presentation--much as the bass horns do--but without many of the problems mentioned previously. Most people prefer it to bass horn designs for classical music.

if your sticking to go with horn loaded designs only then i would suggest fostex drivers. FF series are latest models and are known to outperform older FE series. they can work well in TL or normal boxes too. several free and proven designs are there.

Thanks for the info!

i think its a balancing act between 'driver design' vs 'box complexity'. better the driver simpler the box and vice versa. thats where alpair models win. all required features are engineered into the driver itself. +3 to +6 dB higher sensitivity below 1khz for average baffle width to compensate for baffle step loss. reduced +3dB in the mids and upper mids to tame the shouty response. and again +3dB higher sensitivity at high frequencies for better off-axis response. with all the basic issues taken care of within driver's natural response, there is hardly any complexity left for box design. i have put my alpairs into very simple 13 liter vented box and they sound great. they can produce as much as you would expect from 13 liter box. for extended response, putting them in bigger boxes like pencils makes sense.

finally i would suggest to go with bigger model that you could afford. min.8" to have better bass. although alpair 10s are exception as they support high Xmax which in a way compensates for their smaller cone.

These characteristics make Alpairs interesting. :)

interesting info abt bass horns. basically placing a driver on top is nothing but omnidirectional speakers. pluto is partially omnidirectional speaker. as far as live sound reproduction is concerned i guess OB would do the job even better. but in any case, room placement is a big issue. if u have a bigger space with less reflection surfaces, then go for OB if not omni. if ur cursed with smaller rooms (as me!) then boxed solutions are better. another way would be to use fullranger above 150hz or so in OB as at higher freq. room effect is less(compared to its effect on low bass frequencies) and add closed box stereo sub.

i would call alpair 10 as an allrounder!

@soundnovice:
Have heard some omnidirectional speakers (pointing upwards) before but wasnt much impressed.

OB were on list but dont suited for our smallish room. Dedicated thread here. Dont want to dilute this thread. :)

Word 'Fostex' comes up whenever there is mention of horn loaded design. :) I think many pros (Like Lyrita) make use of fostex. Seems to enjoy popularity :)

Hi !

I have built a pair of MLTL Towers with Fostex FF225WK Driver & FT17H Tweeter. The built is based on Bob Brines design and is described in the thread. http://www.hifivision.com/diy/27210-my-first-diy-mltl-speaker-build.html

Picture291.jpg

FF225WK is described to have a darker character in the sense that it is stronger in lower frequencies but erratic beyond 7K Hz. Thus it has been compensated by FT17H Tweeter. The Woofer i allowed to Roll away at higher frequency and the tweeter protected by a capacitor.

It is being played with Lyrita GM70 Amp, but I don't think I exceed even 10% of its (Amp) output. The Speakers go down to 40 Hz or so. Initially I used a Subwoofer but about two weeks or so later preferred to play without one.

FF225WK took a long time to break in. About 300+ hours. During this time there was a perceptible improvement to those who listen to it sporadically.

It is great for Vocals, Jazz, Indian Classical,POP, Bollywood, Country and Country Rock Music, but does tend to get confused with other heavy music.

My pleasure if any one wants to have a listen.

Cheers !

Jayant

@Jaybe - Those are some nice looking speakers. nice finish and design (facade) :) Cheers!
(Why does all the good stuff happen in Bangalore!)

Hi !

I have built a pair of MLTL Towers with Fostex FF225WK Driver & FT17H Tweeter. The built is based on Bob Brines design and is described in the thread. http://www.hifivision.com/diy/27210-my-first-diy-mltl-speaker-build.html

FF225WK is described to have a darker character in the sense that it is stronger in lower frequencies but erratic beyond 7K Hz. Thus it has been compensated by FT17H Tweeter. The Woofer i allowed to Roll away at higher frequency and the tweeter protected by a capacitor.

It is being played with Lyrita GM70 Amp, but I don't think I exceed even 10% of its (Amp) output. The Speakers go down to 40 Hz or so. Initially I used a Subwoofer but about two weeks or so later preferred to play without one.

FF225WK took a long time to break in. About 300+ hours. During this time there was a perceptible improvement to those who listen to it sporadically.

It is great for Vocals, Jazz, Indian Classical,POP, Bollywood, Country and Country Rock Music, but does tend to get confused with other heavy music.

My pleasure if any one wants to have a listen.

Cheers !

Jayant

great build there Jaybe! :clapping:

I would like to listen this setup and also the other DIY's you have.
Can you please PM me your details as I do not have the PM option yet.

Thanks.

Hi, Anybody have used AER drivers?

The spec seems to be very good. what's your opinion?

MD 3

And no idea from where we can reliably source this driver but seems like German make.

Last edited:
Hi, Anybody have used AER drivers?

The spec seems to be very good. what's your opinion?

And no idea from where we can reliably source this driver but seems like German make.

I considered AER MD3 drivers before settling for Fostex. AER will directly supply these. In January 2012, they quoted Euro 1680/- for each Driver + Euro 45/- as shipping for two. This would have amounted to Euro 3405/- for two Drivers !

Jayant

I considered AER MD3 drivers before settling for Fostex. AER will directly supply these. In January 2012, they quoted Euro 1680/- for each Driver + Euro 45/- as shipping for two. This would have amounted to Euro 3405/- for two Drivers !

Jayant

So this driver go at par with Lowther's price tag...

So what is next choice other than Fostex and MA?

One -ve i got for MA is their efficiency is not that impressive, though that is not a big deal if we are going with SS amps i think.

One -ve i got for MA is their efficiency is not that impressive, though that is not a big deal if we are going with SS amps i think.

MA drivers are not designed to play out loud. i think the whole motive behind engineering them is to provide true full range driver which offers good aesthetic look, aiming at mass market. anybody who want small, less space consuming but still big sounding and moreover gorgeous looking speaker system, will be interested in MA alpairs (especially gold cone). however when put in long MLTL box, their sensitivity is raised by 3dB as against the published spec of 87dB. people are happy driving them with 2W tube amps! however Mark suggests to use 70W amp(to provide ample headroom) which is twice the recommended power(i.e. 35W). below is a commercial speaker utilizing MA alpair 10 drivers,

CA-Electronics Sound Quality | CA Electronics AP-10 bookshelf speaker

Rethm, which was using Lowther driver has reportedly shifted to a better speced Indian made driver manufactured by ex employees of Peerless in their latest range. Don't remember the name right now. Will have to dig into my database to find the name.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back