Guidance needed to achieve that special SQ

@Arjunsadasevam
From the pic they look to be Q300s
Anyways. Few observations noted below.
Placement/Position:
- the speakers seem spaced too far apart, looks like almost 8 feet; try between 6-7 feet
- stands, they definitely help; if they are R300 move them away from walls
- try a bit of toe-in to listening position
- listen from about 6-7 feet from speaker plane

KEFs are known for their pin point imaging and separation, but can sometimes sound smaller when it comes to sound stage.

Electronics
- Denon DRA-800H should have enough juice to drive these speakers; 100Wpc is plenty
- Marantz CD players are good too, so no worries there
- Both these should have decent DACs, I would not cast suspicion on them yet
- Rythmik is no slouch either as a sub, assuming it has been tuned into the system/room

I assume you are using Spotify Connect, Tidal on the Denon.
Play a song/track on CD, USB, Spotify, Tidal and check for differences.
They will differ but not by much, except Spotify as compared to others.
If these are Q 300s, don't expect them to fill the room, they can't fill a large room like shown.
Check speaker wire; if you are using something too thin, it may sound "meh".
Use at least 14AWG or 2.5 sqmm. You may experiment with electrical wire.

If clarity and separation is still missing after pulling them into the room (on stands or stool), turn off sub.
If bass is heavy and not integrated well into the system/room, it can muddy the sound in mids (and highs).

Hope this helps ...

Cheers,
Raghu

@Arjunsadasevam
From the pic they look to be Q300s
Anyways. Few observations noted below.
Placement/Position:
- the speakers seem spaced too far apart, looks like almost 8 feet; try between 6-7 feet
- stands, they definitely help; if they are R300 move them away from walls
- try a bit of toe-in to listening position
- listen from about 6-7 feet from speaker plane

KEFs are known for their pin point imaging and separation, but can sometimes sound smaller when it comes to sound stage.

Electronics
- Denon DRA-800H should have enough juice to drive these speakers; 100Wpc is plenty
- Marantz CD players are good too, so no worries there
- Both these should have decent DACs, I would not cast suspicion on them yet
- Rythmik is no slouch either as a sub, assuming it has been tuned into the system/room

I assume you are using Spotify Connect, Tidal on the Denon.
Play a song/track on CD, USB, Spotify, Tidal and check for differences.
They will differ but not by much, except Spotify as compared to others.
If these are Q 300s, don't expect them to fill the room, they can't fill a large room like shown.
Check speaker wire; if you are using something too thin, it may sound "meh".
Use at least 14AWG or 2.5 sqmm. You may experiment with electrical wire.

If clarity and separation is still missing after pulling them into the room (on stands or stool), turn off sub.
If bass is heavy and not integrated well into the system/room, it can muddy the sound in mids (and highs).

Hope this helps ...

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks so much.....will try out all that you have suggested and report
For make shift stands, use the ubiquitous plastic stools :D with a stack of books.
If you can borrow stands from someone in your home town, it will be worth it.

Cheers,
Raghu

For make shift stands, use the ubiquitous plastic stools :D with a stack of books.
If you can borrow stands from someone in your home town, it will be worth it.

Cheers,
Raghu
I did just that with a pair of wooden stools....still it sounded the same....may be it's due the source.... CD's sound a bit livelier....LF is very feeble...

I did just that with a pair of wooden stools....still it sounded the same....may be it's due the source.... CD's sound a bit livelier....LF is very feeble...
Hmmm ....
LF should not be very feeble. It has a 6.5 in mid-bass driver in the UniQ.
In your room, LF may sound a bit less because the listening space is big.
But you have the advantage of no side walls, which is good.

What speaker wire are you using?
Also check the input settings on the CD input. If you can bump it up, the SQ may differ.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hmmm ....
LF should not be very feeble. It has a 6.5 in mid-bass driver in the UniQ.
In your room, LF may sound a bit less because the listening space is big.
But you have the advantage of no side walls, which is good.

What speaker wire are you using?
Also check the input settings on the CD input. If you can bump it up, the SQ may differ.

Cheers,
Raghu
Got it right finally...I can hear the clarity and separation and all that I missed....am excited beyond words....that after endless tweaking I found an option in denon streamer under the head - audio - restorer - and it was OFF.....I changed it to - HIGH-.....and amp and speaker has started to SING....

Guess the digital loss is being restored is what I understand since my source primarily thru Spotify ,Tidal, YT

Thanks so much to all those of you who took time to help me out.... special thanks to @raghupb, I did tweak CD input and LF comes alive....

Thanks again

Got it right finally...I can hear the clarity and separation and all that I missed....am excited beyond words....that after endless tweaking I found an option in denon streamer under the head - audio - restorer - and it was OFF.....I changed it to - HIGH-.....and amp and speaker has started to SING....

Guess the digital loss is being restored is what I understand since my source primarily thru Spotify ,Tidal, YT

Thanks so much to all those of you who took time to help me out.... special thanks to @raghupb, I did tweak CD input and LF comes alive....

Thanks again
Happy for you that your system is singing to your liking.
If you feel LF can be better, try the sub integration again.
I read that you have ordered stands. This will help in getting the placement/position to your liking.
Keep working with rig. Magic happens over a period of time with a tweak here and a tweak there.
My speakers still surprise me even after 5 years :)

Don't know about Audio Restorer function. It must be a feature specific to the Denon.
Whatever it does, if it sounds good, so be it. Play around a bit more on the Denon side.
Maybe there are a few more unexplored settings.
Enzoi!!

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Arun, I had similar issues with my 9 year old Denon 1912 AVR.
For music I found turning Audessy Off and increasing the bass & Trebble under Tone settings really helped.
Yes, also using Audio restorer helps.

Happy for you that your system is singing to your liking.
If you feel LF can be better, try the sub integration again.
I read that you have ordered stands. This will help in getting the placement/position to your liking.
Keep working with rig. Magic happens over a period of time with a tweak here and a tweak there.
My speakers still surprise me even after 5 years :)

Don't know about Audio Restorer function. It must be a feature specific to the Denon.
Whatever it does, if it sounds good, so be it. Play around a bit more on the Denon side.
Maybe there are a few more unexplored settings.
Enzoi!!

Cheers,
Raghu
Explained here:

Looks like some kind of interpolation algorithm that (kind of) decompresses compressed files. But why should that improve CD sound?

Explained here:

Looks like some kind of interpolation algorithm that (kind of) decompresses compressed files. But why should that improve CD sound?
I think they were 2 different experiments
1. Audio Restorer - for streaming
2. CD Input - bumping up input signal strength by a few dB

Cheers,
Raghu

Explained here:

I am surprised it improves Tidal and Spotify sound as well based as based on Denon link you provided it helps for less than 96kbps streaming rate.

Will check if I notice any significant difference on the receiver via this setting

I think they were 2 different experiments
1. Audio Restorer - for streaming
2. CD Input - bumping up input signal strength by a few dB

Cheers,
Raghu
Yep....it was two different issues....

1. While streaming SQ was muddled
2. When playing CD the LF was feeble

Restorer had 4 options - off.- low - mid - High' - and I set it to high .....there is noticeable change in each of these setting

While playing the CD the LF was muted, I bumped up the input strength and there was a perceptible improvement in LF, and I went on to change the transmits to coaxial from analogue and there significant enrichment on the SQ after bumping up the input....@raghupb was spot on....

While playing the CD the LF was muted, I bumped up the input strength and there was a perceptible improvement in LF, and I went on to change the transmits to coaxial from analogue and there significant enrichment on the SQ after bumping up the input....@raghupb was spot on....
Essentially, the Denon DAC came into play here, is it better than the one in the CDP? Is there some other improvement as well?

Essentially, the Denon DAC came into play here, is it better than the one in the CDP? Is there some other improvement as well?
Denon DAC and CDP SQ is almost similar, at times Denon is a lot livelier with imaging and clean separation....the low setting in restorer appears to be very articulate while streaming....

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back