Guide to buying 12ax7 tubes

though irrelevant here... my yaqin mc 10L tube integrated after a regular service has started to sound bright which was not the issue before... can it be the upgrade in speaker cable to silver screen cable or something went wrong after the service?

though irrelevant here... my yaqin mc 10L tube integrated after a regular service has started to sound bright which was not the issue before... can it be the upgrade in speaker cable to silver screen cable or something went wrong after the service?

It is hard to know what has altered the sound. Silver cables do sound bright. Biasing the tubes to higher quiscenr current can also add brightness. Power supply capacitors also make a big difference to the sound. Talk to the technician about what was changed.
Regards,
Mohan

I bought Mazda Silver 2 Mica from audiotubes.com and pair of Siemens tubes from ebay. After extended hearing of the Mazda tubes and Siemens tubes in a limited way here are my impressions of these tubes.

Mazda performs better; has extended highs, very racy but not in your face. The mids are very clear.

Siemens tubes are quite neutral; extended highs are missing and not racy at all. quite laid back.

Siemens is quite different and installing these tubes is like hearing a different tone altogether.

Brent Jessee of audiotubes.com has recommended medical grade Telefunken tubes which are priced higher than Mazda Silver tubes if I seek better performance than the Mazda tubes. But that will be possible when funds permit.

The Telefunken medical grade 12ax7 are the ones I had with my EAR phono. They are very extended and very neutral.

Hi
I am new to tubes and wish to procure one of the following 12ax7 tubes:

1. Amperex Bugle Boy
2. Mazda Silver Plate Triple Mica or 2 Mica
3. Siemens Long Plate

Let me know the best way to get these tubes. www.audiotubes.com is the recommended website for procuring these tubes.
What are the other options?

Thank you in anticipation.
There is one guy in Canada .. I told my cousin in Canada to buy from. Cancukaudio Mart .. I will sent u his email .. he has many NOS tubes and also got bugle boys and the same without bugle boys logo .. both I have read from Herleen factory and are same except without logo .. got three 12Ax7 from 130 Canadian dollar ..

There is one guy in Canada .. I told my cousin in Canada to buy from. Cancukaudio Mart .. I will sent u his email .. he has many NOS tubes and also got bugle boys and the same without bugle boys logo .. both I have read from Herleen factory and are same except without logo .. got three 12Ax7 from 130 Canadian dollar ..
Thanks for the reference. Will check on the seller when I am in the market for a different pair of tubes.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back