Harman Kardon AVR-132 or Denon AVR-1707 or Onkyo - TXSR 304 E

hauntedhunter

Hi All,

I need to buy an AVR within the range of 20K.I could find these options :

Harman Kardon AVR-132
Denon AVR-1707
Onkyo - TXSR 304 E

I plan to connect Jamo S406 speaker package to it for mainly watching hollywood action movies and listening to classic rock music ( I love to hear some thumping bass !! )

Please suggest me as I don't really have much idea on AVR's.

Please!

Thanks

The onkyo is a capable performer and cheaper than the other two I think. Of the lot the overall best would be the Denon, but the Harman Kardon unit might give you more thumping bass, since they are known for that.

ok, all things considered, the Denon should be the best of the lot for movies and for music. In terms of specs also I think it outdoes the 304E. But do listen to these yourself and compare. In terms of the quality of the reproduction the Harman Kardon unit is likely to be the weakest, but it is likely to have more punch (this i am speaking from reputation and not from auditioning). Let your ears be the judge!!

Just one more thing,

Onkyo 304E specs says 100 W/Ch whereas Denon AVr-1508 specs says 75 W/ch.What effect will this spec have on the performance ? Considering the Jamo speaker power specs says 80/120 W ?

I don't intend to use a 7.1 speaker package in any case.I'll use 5.1 only.Reason I was looking into Denon AVR-1508 is HDMI,whereas Onkyo says only component in/out.What difference will that make considering that I'll use a HDMI upscaling DVD player and a LCD TV.

Please clarify :)

with regard to power....that 80-120 rating on the Jamo speakers looks a bit strange.....the 75W Denon ought to be able to drive it decently, although of course 100W would statistically be a better match.

with regard to video, neither the 1508 nor the 304 offer any video de-interlacing or upscaling tricks, so there's not much point running your video signal through these. Run it staight to your display using your HDMI cable.

Just one more thing,

Onkyo 304E specs says 100 W/Ch whereas Denon AVr-1508 specs says 75 W/ch.What effect will this spec have on the performance ? Considering the Jamo speaker power specs says 80/120 W ?

The Denon is 75 watts into 8 ohms, while the Onkyo is 100 watts into 6 ohms. If you use the same impedance, the Denon and Onkyo will be roughly 75 watts each at 8 ohms.

In terms of speakers, the 80/120 refers to 80 watts of continuous power and 120 watts of maximum power that the speakers can handle. Both the Denon and Onkyo have ample power to drive them well.

Cheers

Thanks.

The speaker chart says impedance = 6 ohm ( for all the 5 speakers ). So in terms of this how does the receivers differ in powering these speaker's.
Also since I'll only use 5.1 channel ,does a higher Watts/per channel means a better choice considering I may replace my speakers someday ?

Please advice.

1) Well personally in my opinion & in my experience the performance/sound quality of Denon 1707 is much better than the other two brands/models that you are interested. I have listened to all 3 components but ofcourse with different speaker brands/packages.

2) I have installed the 1707's for three of my customers and for one of them with the Jamo package. It really sounds good and the customer (an audiophile) is satisfied with the performance.

3) In Bangalore, I sell a Denon AVR-1707 for 19K to my customers. (Without bill & warranty since i import it) The unit will be a sealed piece and it can be completely checked at my place for its functionality before buying.

Regards,
Ramesh

Can you please let me know from which city you are from and if possible PM me your contact (mobile) number. I would like to discuss with you over the phone for pricing related queries.

Regards,
Ramesh

Well if you want to buy with a bill & warranty, then obviously you have to buy this unit from Pro-Fx or any other dealer who deals with this brand in Delhi. At present, the Pro-Fx people who is the main distributor/retailer for Denon in Bangalore have no stock of the 07 & 08 series. The 1508 was sold for about 20K approx. Now the 09 series are available with them but they have not received the stock of the 1509 model which is priced at 21K approx. Hope this info helps you.

Best Regards,
Ramesh

Hi, ramesh,

could you give me your contact details, I want to check some

denon avr's when i visit bng.

sorry for intruding friends.

Thanks.
he speaker chart says impedance = 6 ohm ( for all the 5 speakers ). So in terms of this how does the receivers differ in powering these speaker's.

As I have said both AVRs will deliver some 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms and roughly 100 watts per channel at 6 ohms.

Thanks.
Also since I'll only use 5.1 channel ,does a higher Watts/per channel means a better choice considering I may replace my speakers someday ?

It is difficult to plan into the future on uncertain terms. The better method will be that when you do buy new speakers, choose them carefully. As long as you do not chose speakers with very high resistance and drivers that need large amps to even croak, you are safe. Most of the speakers in your price range will have sensitivity of around 90dB, and will be able to sing well with amps that pump out anything from 30 watts per channel onwards.

Set these concerns aside and finalise your systems.

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back