HD Media Player Vs PC(laptop)

koushik

Hi Guys,

Why do we go running behind HD media players that ought to have some sort of limitations, whatever it may be. Instead can't we invest a little on our existing PC with a video and sound card and enjoy whatever format that comes by, surf net, play games.

How advanced may be the media player can't beat the playability of a PC(Lappy), can they?

I am starting this thread to get criticized and to let myself convinced that yes I need a Media Player. As the PC is hurting my Music/HT setup, occupying lot of space. ;)

Last edited:
I am starting this thread to get criticized and to let myself convinced that yes I need a Media Player. As the PC is hurting my Music/HT setup, occupying lot of space. ;)

Hate to disappoint you on this :)

I got myself a ACryan mediaplayer earlier this year. It made sense ... faster bootup, easy to use remote, all files supported & overall lower power draw. Win across the board.

Except... It really struggled with the file formats. At times the video would play fine but the pass thru Audio just wouldn't.

So.. now i'm back to my PC (running XBMC) with a wireless keyboard. Much happier

There are loads n loads of threads on HTPCs and Media players which have been discuessing the same argument. Which one is better. Once of the recent one took place on THIS THREAD

As for me I started using WD TV when no one had even heard what a media player is. Then switched to WD TV Live and then AC Ryan Play On HD. Finally dumped every media player and switched to HTPC, and I am far more satisfied and happier as is a_anuj.
Reason can be found out on my HTPC thread, in my sig... :)

A query:

Wanted to use my existing PC to HTPC. My plan is as follows:
1. Buy a new graphics card with HDMI as my existing mobo doesn't has HDMI.
2. I don't care about the sound card as already has 5.1 analog o/p and a S/PDIF. Don't want much fuss with sound as my stereo setup is separate.
3. My mobo is M2N Se MX Plus and CPU: AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz
4. Windows 7 OS.

Just to know if there is any catch or loop holes that I am overlooking? I need simple playback of movies into 42" Panny Plasma.

Please suggest.

All you need are a good GPU and a remote control. Install XBMC and enjoy HTPC. With your config, the energy consumption may be high.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back