Shield pro vs Zidoo media player

Love4sound

Has any one here used or performed A/B tests on shield vs zidoo media player? After checking madvr against shield and observing some good improvements I am just wondering if there is another media player that is better then shield which will also support kodi and local playback using HD. Zidoo10pro will be available soon in india but it’s very expensive compared to shield and if it can really bring big improvements in both audio and video compared to shield I will be interested. Setting up a HTPC isn’t convenient so looking for only a media player.kodi and local playback is a must

Has any one here used or performed A/B tests on shield vs zidoo media player? After checking madvr against shield and observing some good improvements I am just wondering if there is another media player that is better then shield which will also support kodi and local playback using HD. Zidoo10pro will be available soon in india but it’s very expensive compared to shield and if it can really bring big improvements in both audio and video compared to shield I will be interested. Setting up a HTPC isn’t convenient so looking for only a media player.kodi and local playback is a must
I have both players in my setup.
My vote goes to Zidoo for Offline content and for online content Shield is best.

I have both players in my setup.
My vote goes to Zidoo for Offline content and for online content Shield is best.
You have the zidoo10 pro? Thanks for your feedback. So if you play a Bluray remux file the zidoo10 pro will have better video and audio performance over the shield?

You have the zidoo10 pro? Thanks for your feedback. So if you play a Bluray remux file the zidoo10 pro will have better video and audio performance over the shield?
Using Zidoo since X10 release.Using Shield since 2017 release.Currently I own Shield 2019 and Zidoo Z10 not the pro version.
My 4k display doesn't have Dolby vision so no idea about that.
Yes there is a difference in Video and Audio quality. Once the initial configuration is completed, Zidoo is easy to use compared to Shield which has stuttering in Kodi on and off some settings changes reqd on and off ( may be due to frequent updates ) it happens in my friend shield also whenever I face such problem so it is not my device specific and the limitation of other apps in shield for Multi channel play back ( Atmos / DTS X) which keeps me away for Offline content.
IMHO Online streaming apps are not good in Zidoo but shield is unbeatable for Online content.
Iam keeping both in my setup considering my usage pattern.

My preference for online content.
1.Shield
2.HTPC
3.Zidoo

My preference for offline content.
1.Zidoo
2.Shield
3.HTPC.

Ps - In between I tried dedicated HTPC with high end GPU, which needs tinkering and periodic updates/ upgrades all the time.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Using Zidoo since X10 release.Using Shield since 2017 release.Currently I own Shield 2019 and Zidoo Z10 not the pro version.
Yes there is a difference in Video and Audio quality. Once the initial configuration is completed, Zidoo is easy to use compared to Shield which has stuttering in Kodi on and off some settings changes reqd on and off ( may be due to frequent updates ) it happens in my friend shield also whenever I face such problem so it is not my device specific and the limitation of other apps in shield for Multi channel play back ( Atmos / DTS X) which keeps me away for Offline content.
IMHO Online streaming apps are not good in Zidoo but shield is unbeatable for Online content.

1.Shield
2.HTPC
3.Zidoo

1.Zidoo
2.Shield
3.HTPC.

Ps - In between I tried dedicated HTPC with high end GPU, which needs tinkering and periodic updates/ upgrades all the time.

YMMV.
Iam using zidoo z10 pro . It's best for hdd . YouTube upscaling is there for zidoo. Using Appletv 4k for streaming

I have zidoo z10 pro. It's best. I think for streaming and hdd we can also consider blueray player like sony x700.

1.Shield
2.HTPC
3.Zidoo

1.Zidoo
2.Shield
3.HTPC.

YMMV.
Oh great to know that there is a noticeable difference in audio.
I have zidoo z10 pro. It's best. I think for streaming and hdd we can also consider blueray player like sony x700.
Have you also compared it with shield?

You can check Librelec on a Raspberry Pi. I have used kodi on a rpi3 and it was butter smooth even when I played remux 1080p. It supported frame packed 3d as well. Not sure about tone mapping on a rpi4. I stopped following it's development.

I own a zidoo z9x and shield 2019 , zidoo is much better for offline content.

Better as in? Can you please elaborate? How is the performance in audio and video? Do you have an atmos HT set up? More details will help
Picture Quality is definitely better than the shield , audio is also more dynamic / louder / clearer . I have an atmos setup and the overall experience is better than the shield for offline content.

I just compared specs of zidoo9x against the 10pro. They both use the same ram and processor. Support for audio and video specs are also identical. Only difference is 10 pro has more internal storage and supports internal sata HD. So is it safe to assume speed, performance for both audio and video will be exactly the same for both 9x and pro?

Last edited:
As I told you , I have tried both and i could not see any difference. Zidoo is having many video settings option, in shield its limited.

But, when i tried to play offline 4k HDR or 4k content, I felt Shield is little upper hand in clarity, brightness and color representation.

Note: Both Shield and Zidoo I tried in Epson 9400 PJ. Try it yourself :)

my friend has nvidia shield to play movies from hard disk. Everything was playing fine. Aquaman movie which had 60gb file didn't play. Any file with 50gb and above didn't play. Whereas my himedia media player does. So my suggestion is to go with zidoo kind of players. Only minus is they are not good with streaming services.

my friend has nvidia shield to play movies from hard disk. Everything was playing fine. Aquaman movie which had 60gb file didn't play. Any file with 50gb and above didn't play. Whereas my himedia media player does. So my suggestion is to go with zidoo kind of players. Only minus is they are not good with streaming services.
Shield has no problem playing 50 or 100gb size file through kodi.But lately after a recent upgrade it’s become very unstable.

Shield has no problem playing 50 or 100gb size file through kodi.But lately after a recent upgrade it’s become very unstable.
yes, i have some movie which is around 100gb file usually played without taking time of loading, also forwarding was easy. recently when i wanted to watch it again, it took lot of time to load and hung for sometime if i tried to forward.

Kodi on Raspberry Pi 4b can handle 70-90gb files without any issue. I have setup Tidal connect and Kodi on 8GB Rpi 4b board, its working without issues

I am using the z9x for the past few weeks. Unquestionably for playback of media files the zidoo is significantly better. The main attraction to me is the VS10 processing which is excellent. I used to struggle with HDR 10 brightness level on my sony 270 proj., with the shield, always felt the picture was dim and pumping up the brightness was screwing up contrast and black levels (I always use low lamp for reduced noise). However with the vs10 processing I am getting a superbly bright picture with excellent contrast. Just this feature is worth the price paid. And with overall SQ etc. it is a great player.
Cheers,
Sid

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back