HDD Based Player

SC can be Xonar D2X with good DACs used,pure musical.
Other can be creative XIFI series.

second that.....for pure musical experience the Asus D2x is VFM and great.

Creative Xifi series are good more froma gaming EAX perspective. But then Venkats config is less of a HTPC.

I have a slightly long term perspective. My system consists of the following:

1) Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard
2) Core2Duo Processor
3) 2 TB of HDD
4) 4 GB of RAM
5) High End Sound card
6) Optical Drives

Later
7) High End HDAV Card
8) Blu-Ray Drive

The PC will be placed in the HT Rack and will act as a main music server. I am slowly converting all my music into FLAC AND MP3 files, and have already created some 500GB of files. Since the system has internal WiFi, I will be using a system like Squeezebox to transmit music across the house to small stereo systems with a dedicated 2 channel amp and speakers.

By end of this year, I plan to install a Blu-Ray player and HDAV Card to watch Bu-Ray movies. and to play music in HD formats. My AVR is already equipped for this.

Other than using Worldspace, I want to be able to use my system irrespective of where I am in the house 24 hours a day. I plan to start the HTPC once in the morning, and shut it down only when I go to sleep. So I am not bothered about boot time and all that.

Cheers

You know what I had similar plans . This is my current desktop config :-

Asus P5B-VM motherboard
Core 2 duo 2.13 GHZ
2 GB Ram
250Gb Hitachi Sata HDD
Dual Dvd Writers
NetGear Wireless G adapter

I have built a Wireless N Network at home with a Dlink Xtreme N Dir 655 Router which I got from the USA.

My plans were to build a ditto same home network in which my Desktop, Dell XPS M1530 Laptop, Acer TravelMate 2413NLMi (dad's) laptop and Archos 605 wifi ,all linked to the wireless network. Now I have even linked my and my wifes Nokia mobile phone to the wifi network for web browsing.

Instead of a squeezebox I planned to use Archos 605 wifi for Streaming Music from My Desktop.

Now the problems I faced :-

For some reason wireless networks have a peculiar problem. In paper all these seems Hunky dory but when you go and actually implement it you start facing problems.

1)First biggest problem was connection link drop. Many a days it would work fine and then in many cases it would just drop the connection. After searching on the net what I found out is products like Archos 605 , Squeezebox etc are all built keeping American Homes at mind. American homes dont build concrete walls to divide rooms but mainly use plyboards for the same. Hence the wireless signal penetrates easily. However in India its an absoultely different case I must say.

2)Secondly, I would have to keep my desktop on for the entire period. A desktop with a decent configuration like mine consumes good amount of electricity. Now if I add a graphics card which I will if I need to add blu ray then the consumption just increases. So at any time if I want to stream music via wifi, i need to keep my Desktop (cpu only) , my AV receiver and my Archos on which was leading to higher electricity bills.

3)Virus. Yes you read it right. This had happened to me around 6 years back. I was in Mumbai trying my luck with MBA schools there . My sis logged on to the internet. I have an updated McAfee Antivirus with Sygate firewall running my my machine but still a worm caused havoc and wiped out my 80 gb of data. iw as devastated all my documents, music and movies were gone. the rest one month was spent using recovery software via which I could recover 80% of my data. From then on I have made up my mind I will never keep all my data in a central location.

Now even though I have everything in place still I am looking for a solution like the WD HD Media Player. My Archos 605 has the capacity to stream audio as well as dvd video but the connection drops become just too frustrating. I have an extremely powerful router which is capable of handling even HD streaming and many people around the worls are using it for the same purpose. But I dunnow somehow it just does not work for me :mad: ! The investments were huge but the results were far from satisfactory. :indifferent14:

You know what I had similar plans . This is my current desktop config :-

Asus P5B-VM motherboard
Core 2 duo 2.13 GHZ
2 GB Ram
250Gb Hitachi Sata HDD
Dual Dvd Writers
NetGear Wireless G adapter

I have an extremely powerful router which is capable of handling even HD streaming and many people around the worls are using it for the same purpose. But I dunnow somehow it just does not work for me :mad: ! The investments were huge but the results were far from satisfactory. :indifferent14:

That is lovely Mobo you have. Strangely I have not faced any of the issues you have mentioned. At home I use AVG, including it's rootkit AV and it seem to work fine for me. For networking I originally used a Belkin Pre N router, and now I am using an ordinary Netgear 54 MBPS router. Both work without any hitch across my house. Yes, now and then I may lose a packet, but that is very rare, and something I am ready to live with.

One possibility is that you may have a large number of wireless routers in your area. There are ways of securing your own links and that may reduce your hassles.

Cheers.

Personally the depth of the colors and blacks are a notch better in the normus, and yes it does have an HDMI 1.3 so that takes care of DTS tru HD pass through as well. As for the additional features the normus has inbuilt wifi which allows you to stream movies and music from your wifi network. Also it comes with an internet radio which has about some 20,000 odd free channels or something.
Where the Dvico actually scores on the Normus is that the interface of the Dvico is better than that of the Normus, the interface of the Normus feels a litle animated. The Dvico 6500 is priced at 26-27k from their india distri called Jay multimedia. The Normus9000 is at an mrp of 29000.
They both run on the same Sigma 8635 chipset, even after that picture quality deliverance on the Normus exceeds that of the Dvico.
Though the audio quality in a visibly better on the Dvico, overall i think its what you are looking for. If you want a full HD player with features like internet radio, wifi and small other features like playlist which by the way is not there in the Dvico. Ok another small up for the Dvico is that it can do coverart which is not in the Normus, which though is not really a feature it just makes your interface look better.
The pop corn hour is not officially available in India, yes you can buy it on ebay but if it conks, god help you, this is where you say what can go wrong in these boxes, id say if your unlucky enough ample...i find it safer to stick to what available here through a distri or company incase of issues.
Another box now in india is ellion from elliondigital.
Another box fyi is the HDX from europe, same/similar to the popcprn hour, i think they get made in the same factory, look at the March issue of the what hifi it has reviewed the appletv vs the popcorn hour vs hdx vs linksys. Look at the March issue of the AVmax for Normus reviw, its lower end product gets a best buy recomendation the hi end missed out that stamp due to vfm, overpriced they say.
As for the WD its just a sasta option, cant do much with it...6500 is again the grey market price onit, officially at 11,000 in bombay.
I have spent a lot of time on boxes right from the vidabox to the teatro to the Dune (oh yeah look at the dune too its from israel), and sunfire so i happen to know a litle on these, though not very technical i know a litle.
Everything here is in good vein....

Well no where it mentions that it has HMDI 1.3a specifications (the NTS 7500 mentions HDMI 1.1 - that means DTS - True HD audio passthrough HMDI is not allowed nor is high colour)
Audio : FLAC is not supported as of now
Overall experience: It does not have sufficient following like the Popcorn hour A110, Elektron 606, Dvico 6500/7000 or even the dragon tech 100HD (a very new entrant - a clone of the A110 + better specs).
VFM: We dont know the price yet

In india after shipping
the popcorn cor A110 should be around 15-16k (including 3k as customs)
Ditto for the dragon tech 100HD
Dvico 6500 should be around 23-24k, available in India for 26-28k from distributor.

NAS : Network array storage: Its nothing but a terminology that all (TVCIO it requires a lil more effort) network media tanks/players use to connect to other computers/servers/devices in a paritcular network using wifi or normal lan. All of then can connect to the net, view pictures/videos from youtube, picasa etc, watch free services like saya tv. Some of them can add on a digital tuner/receiver and function as a full function dvr.

So on what grounds do you claim that Normus is good - while all of the above i mentioned are manufactured in China as well all of them are decently built and have a great fan following. And though the dvico 6500 is expensive it is very versatile and i have seen the DVICO in action - its good. Though i am yet to see a popcorn hour in action.

PS: Next time you make a statement like this do weigh in the factors that made you make a tall claim such as this.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Personally the depth of the colors and blacks are a notch better in the normus, and yes it does have an HDMI 1.3 so that takes care of DTS tru HD pass through as well. As for the additional features the normus has inbuilt wifi which allows you to stream movies and music from your wifi network. Also it comes with an internet radio which has about some 20,000 odd free channels or something.
Where the Dvico actually scores on the Normus is that the interface of the Dvico is better than that of the Normus, the interface of the Normus feels a litle animated. The Dvico 6500 is priced at 26-27k from their india distri called Jay multimedia. The Normus9000 is at an mrp of 29000.
They both run on the same Sigma 8635 chipset, even after that picture quality deliverance on the Normus exceeds that of the Dvico.
Though the audio quality in a visibly better on the Dvico, overall i think its what you are looking for. If you want a full HD player with features like internet radio, wifi and small other features like playlist which by the way is not there in the Dvico. Ok another small up for the Dvico is that it can do coverart which is not in the Normus, which though is not really a feature it just makes your interface look better.
As for the WD its just a sasta option, cant do much with it...6500 is again the grey market price onit, officially at 11,000 in bombay.
I have spent a lot of time on boxes right from the vidabox to the teatro to the Dune (oh yeah look at the dune too its from israel), and sunfire so i happen to know a litle on these, though not very technical i know a litle.
Everything here is in good vein....

PS: Next time you make a statement like this do weigh in the factors that made you make a tall claim such as this.:cool:
[/QUOTE]

The official price of WD TV in Kolkata is Rs 7.500 inclusive of VAT and 1 year ONSITE warranty. The dealer who quoted 11k to you either does not have the product or is swindling you big time !

I have a slightly long term perspective. My system consists of the following:

1) Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard
2) Core2Duo Processor
3) 2 TB of HDD
4) 4 GB of RAM
5) High End Sound card
6) Optical Drives

Later
7) High End HDAV Card
8) Blu-Ray Drive

The PC will be placed in the HT Rack and will act as a main music server. I am slowly converting all my music into FLAC AND MP3 files, and have already created some 500GB of files. Since the system has internal WiFi, I will be using a system like Squeezebox to transmit music across the house to small stereo systems with a dedicated 2 channel amp and speakers.

By end of this year, I plan to install a Blu-Ray player and HDAV Card to watch Bu-Ray movies. and to play music in HD formats. My AVR is already equipped for this.

Other than using Worldspace, I want to be able to use my system irrespective of where I am in the house 24 hours a day. I plan to start the HTPC once in the morning, and shut it down only when I go to sleep. So I am not bothered about boot time and all that.

Cheers
Hello Venkat,
that's a really good step in future.But I guess instead of using internal wifi it can be connected to a wireless router to create a wireless network. The pc can serve as a component to that network and squeezebox can access the shared folder of the pc from the network. Another good thing about doing this way is you can control your squeezebox from any handheld so you have your music completely in your control and you can browse ur library more effectively. I use my Nokia N95 to log into my homenetwork to acces the squeezebox page and I play music from my phone. Its really fun.
thanks,
Mahi.

The official price of WD TV in Kolkata is Rs 7.500 inclusive of VAT and 1 year ONSITE warranty. The dealer who quoted 11k to you either does not have the product or is swindling you big time ![/QUOTE]

Hello,
could you please provide me the phone number who is selling this in calcutta.
Thanks,
Mahi.

Dushie its not that simple. I had sent an email to one of the sellers in ebay. I asked him whether the warranty was an on site warranty . The seller was based in mumbai. He replied by saying that I will need to ship the items to him in order to claim the warranty and I will need to bear the shipping charges. If I were to buy the product I would buy it from a local store in my own city in which I am staying. My local dealer promised me on site warranty at Rs 7,500 and I will stick to him. Even if he would have quoted me Rs 500/- more I would have gone to my local dealer. All of us should be absolutely sure about the warranty and return policy before buying from ebay.

The official price of WD TV in Kolkata is Rs 7.500 inclusive of VAT and 1 year ONSITE warranty. The dealer who quoted 11k to you either does not have the product or is swindling you big time !

Hello,
could you please provide me the phone number who is selling this in calcutta.
Thanks,
Mahi.[/QUOTE]

Sure I got the quote from Arihant Infotech . The guys name is Ashok Jain and his number is 9330194141. Do you want the quotes for 1 Tb external HDD's as well ?

Illusion i agree with you on the same, but unfortunately i am not able to find an authorized seller locally in Bangalore, the feedback for the bombay seller is good, no one complained yet about any issues , guess there is some luck factor also there, sometimes the product go faulty, otherwise most of the times it works fine and no problems come up, if someone can find a local dealer in Bangalore who is offering warranty i will think about going for the same

Illusion i agree with you on the same, but unfortunately i am not able to find an authorized seller locally in Bangalore, the feedback for the bombay seller is good, no one complained yet about any issues , guess there is some luck factor also there, sometimes the product go faulty, otherwise most of the times it works fine and no problems come up, if someone can find a local dealer in Bangalore who is offering warranty i will think about going for the same

Dushie Sir, I assure you , that you will get it in Bangalore . Believe it or not I was in Bangalore for around 1.5 years and I had bought my creative 4.1 around 100 bucks cheaper than what it was available in Kolkata at that time !

Mr Tarshah seems to be a Normus reseller/distributor. The pocorn and the dragontech i100HD are cheaper better versions with a massive followign and support forums. All access the net via the media portal software and you can surf sites like youtube, saya tv, picasa, flickr etc as well as shoutcast - thereby online radio.

Normus is a bad product and good enough marketing can probably see it through the masses in India- buyers beware, get your money's worth

PS: He is quoting my pieces without acknowledgment too.

I quoted the dealer price for TVIX 6500 as 26k in Pune -through a official dealer conformed by TVIX US. Check the website. WDTV retails in India anywhere between 6.5-7.5k -uses the same chipset without the network implementation and TRUE HD passthrough

Mr Tarshah seems to be a Normus reseller/distributor. The pocorn and the dragontech i100HD are cheaper better versions with a massive followign and support forums. All access the net via the media portal software and you can surf sites like youtube, saya tv, picasa, flickr etc as well as shoutcast - thereby online radio.

Normus is a bad product and good enough marketing can probably see it through the masses in India- buyers beware, get your money's worth

PS: He is quoting my pieces without acknowledgment too.

I quoted the dealer price for TVIX 6500 as 26k in Pune -through a official dealer conformed by TVIX US. Check the website. WDTV retails in India anywhere between 6.5-7.5k -uses the same chipset without the network implementation and TRUE HD passthrough

6.5 k ?? Where Where !! If you mean by that post where the price was quoted without Vat ?

6.5 k ?? Where Where !! If you mean by that post where the price was quoted without Vat ?

it comes down to 7200 something -my friend got it in Kolkata for that price from a reseller. Can't wait to see how it performs when i visit kolkata next month.

'

I think its called Maxtor Basic. I bought it some 4 months back for that price.

4 months ! Thats a killer deal u have got there ! The price of the HDD has really fallen from that time ! Oh i think you must have bought it from US !

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back