HDD Based Player

nope from good old Ritchie Street in Chennai with VAT i think it came to some 6k. got it from Delta:

http://www.deltapage.com/

Good deal. However the Maxtor has a 3 year warranty while the Seagate and WD have all 5 years. What FS do you have for your maxtor : NTFS or FAT 32 ?

@venkat - I remember reading in one of the threads to stay away from seagate free agents . Any particular reason why ?

Good deal. However the Maxtor has a 3 year warranty while the Seagate and WD have all 5 years. What FS do you have for your maxtor : NTFS or FAT 32 ?

NTFS. I have had many bad experiences with Seagate so I avoid it. My maxtor drives have always been trouble free so I trust them better. Now, Seagate has bought over Maxtor so may be both are same but I am just inclined to max :)

NTFS. I have had many bad experiences with Seagate so I avoid it. My maxtor drives have always been trouble free so I trust them better. Now, Seagate has bought over Maxtor so may be both are same but I am just inclined to max :)

Yeah you know what after seeing your success with Maxtor, if I go and buy WD TV then I too will be going for a Maxtor 1 TB. A 3 year warranty is enough for me . Hey MBR I know this is not the right thread but the specs of wd tv state that WD maxes out at 24ps for 1080p mkv files. Ever tried playing a file which has more than 24fps at 1080p res ?

Will they increase this spec to 1080p 60 fps ever ? Also Will WD TV ever support VC 1 ?

Yeah you know what after seeing your success with Maxtor, if I go and buy WD TV then I too will be going for a Maxtor 1 TB. A 3 year warranty is enough for me . Hey MBR I know this is not the right thread but the specs of wd tv state that WD maxes out at 24ps for 1080p mkv files. Ever tried playing a file which has more than 24fps at 1080p res ?

Will they increase this spec to 1080p 60 fps ever ? Also Will WD TV ever support VC 1 ?

The chipset is capable of but will WD do it is something we have to wait and wait. Their last firmware made 1080p/24 stable so lets hope they will

I haven't played anything higher as I dont have any such file :), then my PV8 is anyway only 720p, third by the time I have TV that takes care of 1080p/60 I would have bought a NMT which is advanced :D :yahoo:

Last edited:
The chipset is capable of but will WD do it is something we have to wait and wait. Their last firmware made 1080p/24 stable so lets hope they will

I haven't played anything higher as I dont have any such file :), then my PV8 is anyway only 720p, third by the time I have TV that takes care of 1080p/60 I would have bought a NMT which is advanced :D :yahoo:

i have a similar dilemma with a Panny PV8 - next year i buy the Optoma full HD projector and i will be good to go. Panny will go to my bedroom.

BTW WD TV is gaining a lot of popularity - the pricing is the cake.

i have been interested in similar setup... but.. hope some day i wil have a Atom based HT as a true convergence product... :)
something like this
News and Event ------ HABEY USA

cheers,
kannan

actually NVIDIA already have introduced a nvidia chipset based solution - as small as a TVIX 6500 or maybe an popcorn hour (but certainly fatter) - GEFORCE 9300 chipset, HDMI output upto 1900X1200, 7.1 sound (can pass True HD as LPCM). Within a years time we will be having the HTPC we so desire - pricing will be a key.

GeForce 9400 plus Atom

actually NVIDIA already have introduced a nvidia chipset based solution - as small as a TVIX 6500 or maybe an popcorn hour (but certainly fatter) - GEFORCE 9300 chipset, HDMI output upto 1900X1200, 7.1 sound (can pass True HD as LPCM). Within a years time we will be having the HTPC we so desire - pricing will be a key.

GeForce 9400 plus Atom

Good find there but I guess you are right before something like that hits the market and again to make it affordable it will take another year after its launch when say 9600 is integrated with atom or something like that !

Oh ok . I am looking WD TV / popcorn Hour more towards an investment for next 3-4 years !

Oh ok . I am looking WD TV / popcorn Hour more towards an investment for next 3-4 years !

If you are looking at it as an investment for next 3-4 years, I would say Popcorn is the way to go. Its much more capable player, thats assuming you would be using the network feature and would have a compatible AVR for True HD sound.

If you are looking at it as an investment for next 3-4 years, I would say Popcorn is the way to go. Its much more capable player, thats assuming you would be using the network feature and would have a compatible AVR for True HD sound.

True a popcorn hour would be a better choice although you end up paying more. After 3-4 years this will dominate the scene

NVIDIA ION platform review | preview

Problem is - a form will be launched this year for a HTPC - though it plays blueray , dvd etc efforlessly - rips etc will not benefit as its processor intensive and atom certainly cannot deal with that for the time being. So a NMT for the next 3-4 years is the way to go.

Actually MBR I have a Sony AVR with which I am satisfied with. Unless the AVR conks out I plan to keep it for the next 3-4 years . Its not True HD compatible but since I plan to play MKV files only with DTS/ DD tracks the same is compatible with my reciever.

I have a 26 inch 720 p LCD which I plan to upgrade by the next year end to a bigger full lcd system hence the want of a full HD capable player.

I had made up my mind to buy the popcorn hour a-110 but the only thing that is holding me back is no after sales support in india for the same . Is there any after sales support for Popcorn hour in India ?

Also do you think the WD TV will become obsolete in the next 3 years making the user want to upgrade to a better NMT ?

Actually MBR I have a Sony AVR with which I am satisfied with. Unless the AVR conks out I plan to keep it for the next 3-4 years . Its not True HD compatible but since I plan to play MKV files only with DTS/ DD tracks the same is compatible with my reciever.

I have a 26 inch 720 p LCD which I plan to upgrade by the next year end to a bigger full lcd system hence the want of a full HD capable player.

I had made up my mind to buy the popcorn hour a-110 but the only thing that is holding me back is no after sales support in india for the same . Is there any after sales support for Popcorn hour in India ?

Also do you think the WD TV will become obsolete in the next 3 years making the user want to upgrade to a better NMT ?

Well WD TV will become obsolete based on your needs. For me, it wont, why:

1. I dont plan to invest in a HTS in next 3 years until and unless my Philips kicks bucket. So I am happy with DTS and Dolby.
2. I dont want networking blah blah in WD bcos I prefer to use my PC to do that nor do I want a media server.
3. In 3 years hopefully, BR disks will become as cheap of DVDs even then I will use my WD to play my DVDs and the collects of 720p I would got till then
4. For next 3 yrs I dont plan to upgrade my PV8 so 720p is enough

So I will say a product is obsolete only based on your needs. Vinyl is obsolete, not for everyone, CDP is obsolere, not for everyone, you get what i am saying

Go ahead with the popcorn hour - any problems that are there can be fixed by the huge user community for NMT popcorn hour (check their support forums). For actual telephonic support you pay extra is what i understand.

In case some HW error props up within a year - you have to ship it back at your own expense - they can change it and send it back.

All the NMTs have a similar approach - the thing is its actually very simplistic with no movable parts, if it aint broke within the first month or during delivery - it will/should last a long time.

BTW the WDTV is fine with your setup and your receiver. If you are planning to get a new LCD full HD TV (why not a projector buddy even a 720p projector beats a 42'' LCD full HD tv anyday) - within the next 1-2 years we will see better small form factor HTPCs based on the nvidia ion (provided a faster ATOM or a smallish AMD takes the overload for video processing)

BTW the WDTV might also launch DTS True HD passthrough - whether in the same HW through firmware upgrade or through a new model like pocorn (A110/100) is left to be seen

BTW the WDTV might also launch DTS True HD passthrough - whether in the same HW through firmware upgrade or through a new model like pocorn (A110/100) is left to be seen

Sometime back, I think I read its not technically feasible to do it in the existing hardware. Don't remember where I think its due to the HDMI 1.2 restriction. not sure though :sad:

Well WD TV will become obsolete based on your needs. For me, it wont, why:

1. I dont plan to invest in a HTS in next 3 years until and unless my Philips kicks bucket. So I am happy with DTS and Dolby.
2. I dont want networking blah blah in WD bcos I prefer to use my PC to do that nor do I want a media server.
3. In 3 years hopefully, BR disks will become as cheap of DVDs even then I will use my WD to play my DVDs and the collects of 720p I would got till then
4. For next 3 yrs I dont plan to upgrade my PV8 so 720p is enough

So I will say a product is obsolete only based on your needs. Vinyl is obsolete, not for everyone, CDP is obsolere, not for everyone, you get what i am saying

Ok so I guess its a personal thingy. I just hope WD TV releases a 1080p 60 fps update. I am not bothered about networking as all my movies and music will serve as a storage cum backup which I want to keep it safe away from Internet viruses. I guess I will wait for some time until the update is released. If it gets released then WD TV it is, other wise I will have to again start considering the more expensive Popcorn Hour !

You are right in saying that the BR will take atleast 3 years to get cheap and that would be the perfect time to upgrade your systems !

Wanted to to know why you are so looking forward to 60 fps when all movies are at 24.

Ok you really got me there. I was looking for 60 fps cause Popcorn Hour has 60 fps capability . My requirement is that all downloaded 1080p mkv content should play, period. Frankly I really dont know whether the downloaded mkv 1080p content has more than 24 fps but in one of the online WD TV reviews there was mention of lags when mkv's were played at 1080p . Maybe this was before the latest WD update. Hence I was asking you as to how your experience was with mkv's played at 1080p !

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back