Hdd Docking station & wifi

multi

Noob Alert :lol:

I have few hdd with Terabytes (3.5") . I am getting Samsung Led with wifi in few days .

just gone through forums regarding htpc & media players (DTSMA pass through capacity) .

I want to stream my hdd content to my LED , is it possible to use hdd docking station to connect to such player & stream over wifi ?

my concern for hdd docking station is that so I can remove hdd whenever I finish watching content & use another hdd .

your thoughts & inputs & which products if above one is possible

Usually I have not seen TVs with network file browser so putting your hdd dock on wifi and connecting TV on same wifi will not help the TV in understanding the movies shared over network. If your TV has a UPnP client built in then you would ideally need to share the drive from a PC having UPnP server like Serviio, PS3 Media Server, etc which will allow the UPnP clinet on your TV to readuly recognize the source.

If you have not bought the HDD Dock as of now, better get a one with USB so that you can directly hook the dock to your TV.

As haisaikat has pointed out, most of the docks are very small, and wont look too bad sitting close to your tv - so you can consider connecting them through USB

Also, just want to highlight (you probably already know it) - tvs do not play all the codecs. They have problems in playing larger mkvs cleanly and some files just dont work at all.

So if you are looking to BUY a dock, maybe consider a media streamer like Xtreamer or equivalent which can take a hdd inside instead.

is there any media streamer where we can put such 3.5 hdd & remove it frequently & it should have good reputation for DTSMA passthrough .

Xtreamer or any other media streamer with hdd slots or some hdd slide thing ?

I don't want to spend too much

You need a media player, and most low cost media players have a small form factor, you can connect an external drive or a USB dock via USB, not "put it in and remove it frequently".

I don't think you will be able to stream high def content via Wireless...I tired it and was successful with 720p movies with a media player. Directly with the TV didn't work and more over my TV does support most of the codecs anyway. Was not successful in streaming 1080p blu ray contents.

My setup now is two routers one primary and anther as wireless bridge. The bridge router is connected to my media player and my primary router is connected to NAS and I stream 720p movies without any issues. For Blu rays I use internal HDD in my media player and powered USB hub where multiple HDDs are connected.

Usually I have not seen TVs with network file browser so putting your hdd dock on wifi and connecting TV on same wifi will not help the TV in understanding the movies shared over network. If your TV has a UPnP client built in then you would ideally need to share the drive from a PC having UPnP server like Serviio, PS3 Media Server, etc which will allow the UPnP clinet on your TV to readuly recognize the source.

If you have not bought the HDD Dock as of now, better get a one with USB so that you can directly hook the dock to your TV.

I have seen Panasonic Smart LED TV with file browser type interface for browsing content over wifi, stored on a laptop HDD.
The OP can check before purchasing the TV.

Samsung TV have a media player and a dock can be connected through the USB port on the TV, I have connected my HDD on a dock to the Asus media player via HDMI to AVR to my Samsung TV. NO WIFI connected here

I have seen Panasonic Smart LED TV with file browser type interface for browsing content over wifi, stored on a laptop HDD.
The OP can check before purchasing the TV.

Is that a network file system browser or network UPnP browser that cannot run without an authoring UPnP server (running on network PC / laptop) like Windows Media Player, etc?

Is that a network file system browser or network UPnP browser that cannot run without an authoring UPnP server (running on network PC / laptop) like Windows Media Player, etc?

I saw it at a friend's place. It was connected to laptop HDD over wifi.
Cant say about UPnP, actually am totally ignorant on anything about networking :)

I found Himedia 900b quite suitable for my need ,I can put 3.5 hdd over there .
but ebay seller doesn't have that in stock .

any one suggest me to where to get it or similar product like Himedia ?

900b is a decent player but has a few problems... It can't play AAC properly & the interface is extremely bland... I would recommend the media player available on HifiMart... It has similar features to 900b but also has a xbmc like jukebox interface which looks lovely... It's a bit costlier but I think that money is well spent if u get a xbmc interface with the convenience of a media player...

I see Micca EP950 have similar HDD slot design like Himedia 900b .

any suggestion for similar product or I should Himedia 900c ?

10k is good amount or I have to shell out more :sad:

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back