Headphones for around 10k?

Chaos

My Brainwavz HM5 headphones have gone kaput and i'm now looking for new headphones for my desktop.

Main criteria listed according to priority:

1. Comfortable. Will be used for 4-5 hours at a stretch. Prefer velour pads than pleather.
2. Great for watching TV shows and movies. Very minimal music listening.
3. Cordless would be great.

I've already used the following headphones:

Sennheiser HD 555 - favorite so far.
Audio Technica M50
Brainwavz HM5

I've shortlisted the following 2 models and was wondering if there are any others worth considering

Sony MDR-XB950BT
MDR-XB950BT : XB Extra Bass Headphones : Headphones : Sony India

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

AHT M50, You will get used to the slightly not so comfortable pleather pads but the sound quality will be worth it. Amp it up with something. Sound cards can't do the job.

EDIT: Just read you have already used M50, so ignore what I said.

Bluetooth introduces a delay and is not recommended for TV. Check out specialized TV headphones like Sennheiser RS 160. They use custom RF that do not introduce delay.

Bluetooth introduces a delay and is not recommended for TV. Check out specialized TV headphones like Sennheiser RS 160. They use custom RF that do not introduce delay.

I'll be using it solely on the PC.

If you are looking for HPs mainly for TV shows and movies, I suggest you add a little to the budget and get a HD 598. Was selling for 14,250 on snapdeal yesterday.

You won't find a better headphone for your need. Super comfortable and brilliant soundstage. Will run decently with onboard soundcard. Add a cheap amp later. The 598 scales pretty nicely.

If you are unable to extend your budget the HD 558 is pretty similar to the Hd 598. The 558 will be right around your ball park I guess.

Last edited:
If you are looking for HPs mainly for TV shows and movies, I suggest you add a little to the budget and get a HD 598. Was selling for 14,250 on snapdeal yesterday.

You won't find a better headphone for your need. Super comfortable and brilliant soundstage. Will run decently with onboard soundcard. Add a cheap amp later. The 598 scales pretty nicely.

If you are unable to extend your budget the HD 558 is pretty similar to the Hd 598. The 558 will be right around your ball park I guess.

True, 558 will be the best for him considering his budget, since he also likes 555.

Have used both the 558 and the M50 for video viewing from laptop.

The M50 has more bass impact and rumble for say, action sequences and explosions etc, while the 558 is a bit more laid back, spacious and super comfy for long sessions. The tilted surround reflectors add to the 3D sensation that works well for soundtracks and sound effects in movies.

Sennheiser momentum were selling at 6999 on amazon.in a couple of days back. You may catch the deal if you check regularly.

i have the ath m50s and hd 598s...if comfort is your main requirement and you are using for 4-5 hrs...i would suggest to go with the senns...they are extremely comfortable and suitable for very long hours sessions.

The ath m50s are better for bass and an all round headphone but unless you are sitting in an air conditioned room they tend to suffer from clamping force and sweaty ears after about an hour of usage.

For 4000rs you can get Takstar HI2050 headphones from ali express,which according to reviews is one of the best open headphone under 200$(12000),i am currently using it right know and i was blown away by the audioquality and comfort and it has replaced my ATH M40X headphone which has also good sound quality.Check out my review of Takstar
Krish-Tech: Takstar HI 2050 Headphone Review

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back