Headshell

Fiftyfifty

Hi

Sometime ago I moved from a basic Technics Headshell to a Stanton to find a big improvement in the sq of my Lenco75 ( with 12" modified Ortofon tonearm). Having realised the relevance of a good headshell I am considering upgrade to something really audiophile grade.

Looking for suggestions of brand/models available in India/ USA/ebay. I'm flexible on price but willing to spend in the $200 range. I've heard a bit about Orsonic headshells and there are a couple of offers on eBay. Any other brand that I should consider?

(My current goto cart is Goldring 1042)

Many thanks.

Kishore

I'm getting a Jelco HS 20 and an Orsonic av101s. Both should be here by the end of this year. Looking forward to trying them out.

Hi

Sometime ago I moved from a basic Technics Headshell to a Stanton to find a big improvement in the sq of my Lenco75 ( with 12" modified Ortofon tonearm). Having realised the relevance of a good headshell I am considering upgrade to something really audiophile grade.

Looking for suggestions of brand/models available in India/ USA/ebay. I'm flexible on price but willing to spend in the $200 range. I've heard a bit about Orsonic headshells and there are a couple of offers on eBay. Any other brand that I should consider?

Many thanks.

Kishore
Orsonic has a reputation for sure. There are high-quality Ortofon headshells as well in about the $100 range.

Can you shed more light on the modified ortofon tonearm?

The tonearm is modified from a 9 inch Ortofon tonearm by one Werner Eduard Reisinger, a German enthusiast. These are the only details I have:
It is based on the AS-212. The armtube is made from aircraft aluminium and it has an eff. length of approx. 318mm. There is no DIN connector (very rare with Ortofon), what you have are approx. 160mm wires sticking out the bottom. The wiring is Kabusa's special "limp as a noodle" internal tonearm wire, thin strands of pure copper and PTFE insulation, very flexible.

that's great, these custom tonearms are usually far superior to the original tonearms as the knowledgeable engineer would have put a lot of thinking into bettering the original design. I have experience with the Alfred Bokrand Ortofon AS309 12 inch tonearm which I found to be far superior to the SME 3012 but I retained the SME because of its ownership value :)

The tonearm is modified from a 9 inch Ortofon tonearm by one Werner Eduard Reisinger, a German enthusiast. These are the only details I have:
It is based on the AS-212. The armtube is made from aircraft aluminium and it has an eff. length of approx. 318mm. There is no DIN connector (very rare with Ortofon), what you have are approx. 160mm wires sticking out the bottom. The wiring is Kabusa's special "limp as a noodle" internal tonearm wire, thin strands of pure copper and PTFE insulation, very flexible.
Alfred Bokrand, a German who lives in Spain, also modifies AS212 9-inch arms into 12-inch arms.

that's great, these custom tonearms are usually far superior to the original tonearms as the knowledgeable engineer would have put a lot of thinking into bettering the original design. I have experience with the Alfred Bokrand Ortofon AS309 12 inch tonearm which I found to be far superior to the SME 3012 but I retained the SME because of its ownership value :)
Honestly, there are tons of tonearms superior to SME 3009 and 3012. :)

Hi

Many thanks.

Kishore
Do you upgrade to the heavy weight head shell for MC cart? Thanks.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back