Hello from Chennai, I guess high quality audio comes at premium prices

DesiAudiophile

Hello guys, I'm 21 year old music lover. So, I saw this forum about cool audiophiles in India coming out and sharing the equipment needed for the love of music. Can anyone suggest me some complete entry level sound system setups ?

Hi Welcome here. There are many options and you will need to have a budget in mind. You can get an amplifier from 10K to 20K and Bookshelf speakers in the same range based on Brand. 30K + can fetch you a decent setup.

Yamaha RS-202 seems to have good entry level review. Pair it with Micca or Boston Acoustics A26 or Wharfdale. It should be good.

Hi Desiaudiophile,

Depending on your budget, you can audition systems with dealers and start shortlisting what appeals to you in appearance, performance and costing....

If budget is a challenge, see the For sale by owner or Hi Fi Ads....good pre used equipment available at reasonable prices

Hi Welcome here. There are many options and you will need to have a budget in mind. You can get an amplifier from 10K to 20K and Bookshelf speakers in the same range based on Brand. 30K + can fetch you a decent setup.

Yamaha RS-202 seems to have good entry level review. Pair it with Micca or Boston Acoustics A26 or Wharfdale. It should be good.

Yeah , I'm currently having my eye upon Boston Acoustics A26 for Rs.16,700
and Norge 2060 int. amp for Rs.13,500 both totaling to almost 30k. Is this is good equipment providing a audiophile range music ?

Regards
DA

Hi

ProFx offers 10-15% discount on their products.....why not audition their speakers? TSX 220? TSX 110? RTiA1s?

For amplifiers, check Marantz Deals which are available on Hi Fi Mart....

Hi

ProFx offers 10-15% discount on their products.....why not audition their speakers? TSX 220? TSX 110? RTiA1s?

For amplifiers, check Marantz Deals which are available on Hi Fi Mart....

Howdy mate, I searched for Marantz int. amps but wew entry level cost is 27k and it exceeds my budget. I need to buy an BS speaker + int. amp under 30k or upto 35k (Damn, I wish i had a job right now, I'm a student :sad: ). If you can recommend me better combo than Boston Acoustics a26 + Norge 2060 under 35k please recommend me. I'm under tight budget constraint

Don't believe the propaganda, hype and myth!

Well you need atleast 80k to 1 lakh to get decent hifi audio experience provided with good room acoustics with no cavities and no windows :sad: .This is my conclusion after spending time on this forum. Entry level are 40k to 60k hi fi systems. Damn, I wish i could have like pay per hour audition rooms without buying, think about it. Pay 150 per hour for auditioning hi fi systems worth 3 lakh instead of buying it :eek:hyeah:

What is premium for you may be affordable for me. What is premium for me may be affordable for someone else.
An audiophile tends to sound and equipment.
A music lover hears content will be content with what's available and affordable.
Everyone on this forum is a mix of both above.

Set your budget and work within it. Don't overshoot unless you have an indulgent aunt/uncle/lover/whatever.
You can put together 2 ch systems for 10k or 100k or 1000k and be satisfied with it or not.
Take your time and be patient. Get some more mileage from your headfi setups until budget is available.

Cheers,
Raghu

+1 to what Raghu said.
Some of the most transcendental music experiences in my life were with a small Panasonic two-in-one. The brain is a wonderful device that can extrapolate a lot of magic.
In Robert Hunter's words: "when you get confused, listen to the music play."

I guess we all have been there, I had a similar affordability issue in my early twenties as a penniless student in the US. The best option, to me then, and I guess it would apply to you now as well, is not to buy new. The forum has a wonderful pre loved equipment section with some genuine bargains to be had. And amps.,speakers, dac's etc. which don't have moving parts tend to last a long time. So if I was in your shoes that is where I would start looking for an affordable but great setup.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I searched for Marantz int. amps but wew entry level cost is 27k and it exceeds my budget. I need to buy an BS speaker + int. amp under 30k or upto 35k (Damn, I wish i had a job right now, I'm a student :sad: ). If you can recommend me better combo than Boston Acoustics a26 + Norge 2060 under 35k please recommend me. I'm under tight budget constraint

For your budget, all new is tough..Why head to a popular brand and feel you don't have the money? Try to look for used gear from members here.. Much safer to buy and within your price too..

If that sounds fine to you, here is one info from the for sale section - http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/64474-harman-kardon-hk-3490-a.html

A good stereo receiver with lots of power and with an inbuilt DAC too..

Hello guys, I'm 21 year old music lover. So, I saw this forum about cool audiophiles in India coming out and sharing the equipment needed for the love of music. Can anyone suggest me some complete entry level sound system setups ?

Focus on the highlighted words "music lover". If your aim is to become a "cool audiophile" it is a treacherous path that needs time, effort and most importantly deep pockets.
Being a student, you may not have control over the room you are living in or will be for the foreseeable future.
Thinking about room acoustic treatment in such a situation is a futile exercise. Also, buying something in a hurry is not advisable.
Many FMs on this very forum, even while owning own homes and seemingly large listening spaces, do not have opportunity to do room treatment.
We tend to scrape time by lying to our family members about some work or the other, get them out of the house and create a wee bit of free time to listen to music.
So there you go, these are the moments when many of us put on "cool audiophile hats" and scribble on the forum.

Assuming you already have a laptop/PC at your disposal, you have 3 workable options:
1. Portable DAC/Amp + Headphones
2. Desktop DAC + Active speakers
3. Conventional setup - DAC + IA + Passive speakers

These options are listed in increasing order of cost to user. My suggestion to you is to go with option 1. It is rewarding in terms of most bang for the buck.
One can very easily get a good quality portable DAC/Amp for 4-6K and decent headphones for 4-6K.
Will it be an audiophile setup, you decide. Will it give you the satisfaction of listening to your favorite tunes, yes!!

Very recently, I put together a headphone rig for my son (12 year old) and I do listen to it when he isn't on it.
DAC/Amp - Schiit Fulla (about INR 5700)
Headphones - Panasonic RP-HTF890 (open back model about INR4000)
Very enjoyable rig with Laptop or PC; if I get some IEMs, infinitely portable.

Think about it. Do you want to listen to music and have a beer or tell the world you listen to music on so and so equipment?

Cheers,
Raghu

Yeah , I'm currently having my eye upon Boston Acoustics A26 for Rs.16,700
and Norge 2060 int. amp for Rs.13,500 both totaling to almost 30k. Is this is good equipment providing a audiophile range music ?

Regards
DA

I have this setup and it sounds great ! More than enough for my small room. You can add a FiiO Q1 for your laptop as an external DAC about 4.5K from headphonezone.in.

Should be more than sufficient ! Alternatively check if you can get Sonodyne amp which may be of same price as Norge. You can check hifimart.

It is a common misconception (and probably propagated by those who want to sell you expensive stuff) that you cannot enjoy a good quality audio setup on budget.

Here is a simple setup that will knock the socks off equipment priced many times over.

Source/Transport - Chromecast Audio and/or Raspberry Pi. Will cost you less than $100 for the both of them inclusive of everything including cables. You can make do with only Chromecast Audio if you don't have a lot of local content like FLAC or MP3 rips and are happy with online sources.

Speakers - JBL LSR305. Seriously good for the money, and they image as well as $5000 or $10,000 speakers. If you can source them from Amazon.com or for United States prices ($269.95) they are amazing value, but even with local Indian prices, they are a good buy.

Have more $$$... get a budget Schiit DAC... especially the multibit ones.

I saw a Yamaha A-S500 for sale in this forum at around Rs 17k buy that immediately and pair it with the Boston speakers and you are done for some time. It's a great amp so hurry.

Last edited:
I saw a Yamaha A-S500 for sale in this forum at around Rs 17k buy that immediately and pair it with the Boston speakers and you are done for some time. It's a great amp so hurry.

That is a very good amp..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a beginner question so dont get me wrong.Just for time being, I gonna use only my jogging headphone Sennheiser px-80 headphone as output and use an int. amp with inbuilt DAC and then think of a bookshelf speaker.Is there an Integrated amp that has inbuilt DAC with headphone output 3.5mm jack so i can connect my headphone with it ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back