Help Buying 50" Plasma

navino87

Guys, I am planning to buy 50" plasma(samsung PS50B550 )for my 30'x30' living room... here at my place they are quoting 85k for it... Is it a good offer?

Is samsung PS50B550 a good buy???

Plz help me out guys...

friend of mine is looking at the same model. 85k was quoted to him without negotiation, so i am sure a few thousand can be knocked off still. Problem is that the damn thing is not on display, ANYWHERE (since samsung seems to be concentrating much more on their LCDs and their bogus "LED" TVs). Reviews have been very very good, and at this price there's nothing from either Panasonic or LG to match this set. My friend is on the verge of buying it blind.

Guys, I am planning to buy 50" plasma(samsung PS50B550 )for my 30'x30' living room... here at my place they are quoting 85k for it... Is it a good offer?

Plz help me out guys...

well i hope the viewing distance ain't 30feet,otherwise u need a 60inch+ tv like the LG-60PG70FR costs around 2lakh.

Plz help me out guys...

If you are in bangalore, they have a PS50B550 on display in rajajinagar samsung brand shop, have a look. And be advised, the sales rep there is quite arrogant and not helpful at all. You can just audition it yourself and buy it somewhere else where the rep is ready to negotiate... Hope this helps...

Plz help me out guys...

30x30 seems to be a very very large room. You would be better off with a 100+ inch projector than a 50 inch. Mine with a 10 ft viewing distance already seems small on the wall.

Thanks for the reply guys... I know that 50" is small for a 30'x30' living room. But 30' is not the viewing distance. and moreover i cant convince my dad for 50"+ displays. so i got to stick with 50" TV. Also iam planning to build HTPC. so, i thought it would be better to go with fullHD.

Went to Bajaj Electronics at Punjagutta in Hyderabad today and saw the 50" Samsung B550 plasma (full HD) on display. The initial quote was 76.5k but the salesman offered to bring it down to 75k right away without any negotiation and with a promise of same day delivery. The price could perhaps be brought down even further with some hard negotiation.

wow 75k forthe B550, that sounds like a superb steal.

Went to Bajaj Electronics at Punjagutta in Hyderabad today and saw the 50" Samsung B550 plasma (full HD) on display. The initial quote was 76.5k but the salesman offered to bring it down to 75k right away without any negotiation and with a promise of same day delivery. The price could perhaps be brought down even further with some hard negotiation.

Well is you want to buy something on an even lower budget you can check out the 50" LG PQ 70, some members after negotiation have bought the same under 65k

Well i will disagree with the same if cost is an important factor in the buying decision, if u want more bang for your buck and not looking for a full HD set then LG is a steal and samsung can't beat that.

If u want full HD then samsung B550 is the answer.

By the way one of our forum members just bought the

50" LG PQ 70 for 57k. I think this is an awesome price ....Check out the post below

http://www.hifivision.com/television/5691-50-lg-pq70-worth.html#post69048

I am looking to buy a Plasma TV too. My viewing distance is around 12 feet. I have been told that, I would require a 47 or a 50 inch TV for that viewing distance.

If it can be helped, I would prefer not to invest on anything more than 42 inch at this point. But, am worried about 42 inch being too small for my viewing distance. Please let me know your view.

FYI, I also plan to buy a FULL HD Projector in about 6 months time, so please keep this in mind while helping me decide.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Well i will disagree with the same if cost is an important factor in the buying decision, if u want more bang for your buck and not looking for a full HD set then LG is a steal and samsung can't beat that.

If u want full HD then samsung B550 is the answer.

By the way one of our forum members just bought the

50" LG PQ 70 for 57k. I think this is an awesome price ....Check out the post below

http://www.hifivision.com/television/5691-50-lg-pq70-worth.html#post69048

57k is indeed a great price for a 50" LG PQ70.. the 42" model has got good reviews.. having said that, i'd suggest a look at the actual 50" model before taking a decision and not base it solely on how the 42" version performs.. this is based on my personal observation this last weekend when i got a chance to compare the 50" PQ70 with a 50" B550 plasma and a 46" B650 lcd side by side..
- The PQ70 looked a little "pixelated", for lack of a better word. Even my wife, who's usually very forgiving on TVs, mentioned that. Perhaps it's not so noticeable at 42" but with 50", it was.
- The black levels on the PQ70 were not so impressive. Perhaps, sitting all by itself, it might not be so bad, but next to the two Samsungs (Plasma as well as LCD), the difference was easily noticeable.

if your own observations don't match these and you are not really able to see a big difference between a good full HD model like the B550 plasma and PQ70 at 50", 57k is a terrific price..

Reds one important observation i have made is that, normally at stores they will never put the plasma sets at optimum settings, they will just put it in highest settings or will leave it on factory settings, which will make the PQ look bad, as a standard process, u should ask the sales guy to keep the settings same in the sets u wish to buy to compare the PQ at those settings.

Lot of times they will bump up the settings for few and others will not be touched.

This is just from personal experience which i found at couple of big stores like e zone

Dushie, i completely agree with your observation.. i suppose the reason why they put plasmas on Dynamic or Vivid is because that preset usually makes the plasma look a lot brighter.. in a showroom scenario, unless they do that, i suppose most visitors would be completely turned off by the dimmer plasmas..

in my visit to Bajaj Electronics, I'd asked them to change the settings of the plasmas and the B650 LCD to movie/cinema mode.. they did it upon my request but only for a short while before resetting them back to dynamic..

the points of difference between the different sets that i noted in my earlier post, however, remained largely unchanged..

50" LG PQ70 @ Rs.54,500

This is my earlier post, I have updated it, so do read it first !!!

Hi,
Got a deal from ezone.

50" LG PQ70 @ 57000 + 2 gm gold coin (worth Rs. 3000, considering you get 10% less, when u sell, so 2650),

Effective price = 54350

Delivery time 10 days, LCD will directly come from Bombay.

I'm trying to get a Samsung DVD player (H1080R - USB+HDMI Rs. 4200 approx) Free with that too. but the sales man, said it's not possible for him.

I played a divx movie 700MB from my pen-drive, on 50" LG PG61UR (they didn't have 50" LG PQ70 on display), just to see, the quality on a 50" incher, & it looked awesome.

They had set plasma tv's at low PQ level, and LCD tv's at High PQ level ('coz they make more profit on LCD tv's )
, so everyone hates plasma & think LCD's look great, and buys them.

So i made him do similar settings on both LCD TV 42" Full HD scarlet 2.0 & Plasma TV HD ready 42" LG PQ70

Then, I also saw Tatasky on both, it was better on Plasma.
Then, Divx 700 MB movie was great on plasma, but slightly better on LCD, even in those showroom light, & considering that generally, 99% of people, switch of lights, while seeing movie on their HDTV sets.
so movie on plasma would be great, and it's a winner by default.

I have given some booking amount, but has also said that, i will cancel the deal, if i get a better deal, elsewhere. after hearing this, he said if you will find a better deal, i will happily refund the amount, & he also said, he can sweeten the deal some more.

U see, he unknowingly himself gave me a hint, that the price can further be reduced, or i can get the DVD player Free too.
obviously i will use this opportunity, to threaten to cancel the deal, and he will give the dvd player free.

I was also thinking of going for Samsung PS50B550 (which is Full HD), & 25000 more costly,
but then i thought, even after spending 25000 more, In india do we have the content to use that 1080P ???
No we don't !!!

Obviously it isn't worth it.

& when HD will be mainstream in India, LED tv's will be in the Trend (and these LCD's will be gone) & also sizes of 60" + will be common. & nobody will purchase sizes less than that.
so uptill then, there's no use of spending more money on Full HD sets.

My Latest post...

Called him again yesterday, and told him to cancel the deal, as Croma is offering 58,000 + DVD player (with LCD screen, from a chinese brand), MRP 14000, but market price 8000, bringing down the effective cost to 50,000.

He said , it's not possible and i can get my advance deposit, refunded back.
I said fine.

Now I'm thinking, i will go today in-person (yesterday i had made a phone call,so i think,that's why he refused to give dvd player free) & i will ask him to, give the Advance deposit back.
I will try to get another 2gm of gold coin or DVD player Free again, maybe he will do that, seeing the deal is getting canceled.

If this turns out to be true, then the effective price for my 50" plasma LG PQ70 will be. Rs.51,800/- (as i can sell the gold in market anytime)

((Also I'm not inclined towards, the DVD player offer from croma, as i won't be using that DVD player, anyway, so the price would be 58000, + useless DVD player (with LCD screen).
))

on a side note, what's the market price of the Samsung DVD player H1080R, Pebble design + USB+HDMI with MRP Rs.5,990/-

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a Plasma TV too. My viewing distance is around 12 feet. I have been told that, I would require a 47 or a 50 inch TV for that viewing distance.

If it can be helped, I would prefer not to invest on anything more than 42 inch at this point. But, am worried about 42 inch being too small for my viewing distance. Please let me know your view.

FYI, I also plan to buy a FULL HD Projector in about 6 months time, so please keep this in mind while helping me decide.

Thanks in advance!!

I think my earlier post was missed. Please tell me what is the minimum viewing distance for a 50 inch plasma tv and the maximum viewing distance for a 42 inch plasma?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back