Help identify the right projector

rbalu72

Hello,

I am a newbie when it comes to home theater projectors... browsed/searched through this forum for last few days to gather some basics..
This is my first and a long post, apologies for making it this big and thanks for your time reading this one.

My requirement:

1. I am looking for a small projector that can be easily mobilized around house to project video on a screen/wall. (I do not have a dedicated HT room so..)
2. Basic requirement is to view video on a screen of about 50"-70" with reasonable light ambiance in living room of 24x12 (not 100% dark but with some dim fall ceiling lighting)
3. To use the projector for an occasional use to view some of the video collection (dvds/tapes) i have related to personal events
4. To project important TV programs out of Videocon HD.. may be an 1-2hrs a week.
5. To project some video files off my pc
6. 3D Capability preferred but not essential (i dont intend do gaming/watch much of 3d content)
7. Budget of 50-60k INR

Current equipment:

1. Videocon D2H HD DVR
2. Samsumg 32" LCD TV
3. Onkyo AVR HT-R370 5.1 HT
4. Sanyo DVD/VCR RECORDER DVR-V100E
5. SONY HANDICAM (mini dv) DCR-HC90E
6. A desktop
i) Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Corsair Force 3 SSD (120GB) for OS and 3TB Storage
ii) Dell 24" LCD Monitor powered by Nvidia GEForce GTX 650Ti 2GB GDDR5 RAM Graphics card with HDMI out
iii) Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker system
iv) TPLink 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router - TD-W8968

After reading some personal experience through posts of 'Saket, Vinylrecord' (for LED projector GP2) and many others for Non-LED models am converging towards the below setup.

1. BenQ GP10 LED Projector on top of a table which meet my picture size requirement
2. A suitable screen that can be moved around easily (any suggestions where to get one?? am based in Hyderabad)
3. ActionTeQ wireless HDMI (not immediate but on the cards to further ease setup for my wife)

I am aware of the limitations of GP10 when it comes to non-dark rooms but counting on the 550Lumen capability of GP10 that it can do reasonably well under dim fall ceiling lighting which may probably allow me to use this as a regular TV during nights and daytime with window curtains on.

I am considering this basically for the out of the box capabilities of GP10 to play audio/video content across several media formats and built
in DVD Player coupled with connectivity options to take advantage of my desktop and graphics card capabilities to process 3D etc.

That said am not writing off any bulb based projectors. If any bulb based projectors within that budget that provide similar user experience interms of setting up and out of the box functionality (both connectivity and options) am open to change my view.

Glad to hear thoughts on my view and valuable suggestions..

Thanks

@spirovious
Does this acer 5370BD works in living room light ambience? The pictures in your thread seem to have taken in complete darkness?

@spirovious
Does this acer 5370BD works in living room light ambience? The pictures in your thread seem to have taken in complete darkness?

Any PJ needs moderately dark room for getting good picture.If you have thick curtains and little darkness,you can use this projector easily.I have watched movie at 5pm even though I dont have thick curtains.You can,t get best picture though in day compared to night time watching.

After reading some more reviews and watching videos.. finally bitten the bullet..

Ordered LG Micro-Portable LED Projector - PA70G for about 50K on snapdeal.

Key reasons:
1. Long lamp life, 700 Lumens and HD @720p
2. Portability and more out of the box features
3. Warranty in India
4. If every projector requires moderately dark room why not try LED as I now
intend to use it as a big LED TV :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Expecting it soon and will post my experience and pictures over here...

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back