Help in choosing a turntable

sachi

Trying to wet my feet in the world of Vinyl..hopefully wetting my feet won't amount to drowning at the deep end :rolleyes:

Okay, for a compelte vinyl noob like me, was wondering what suggestions you folk can give me.

Currently, i have the following options:

Thorens TD125 turntable Nice!

Pro-ject RM 5.1SE or 6.1SB

Rega P3 or P3-24

Linn LP-12 if i can find one locally.

As for a phono, i plan to DIY either a pass pearl 2 or an aikido tetro or the kandkaudio kit.

For now i am going to go with a Pro-ject tubebox 2. I already have a pair of RCa blackplate (baldwin factory) 12AX7s at the ready.

Also picked up 80$ worth of vinyl this week from a used record store. Some are brand new including Jazz greatest recordings by Franklin Mint.

I am really leaning towards the thorens if i can't find an LP-12...what do you guys suggest?

My vote is for the thorens TD125.

Looks like a decent restoration. that deck is a killer and will play as good as any of the best available today.

GO FOR IT!

Grab the TD125 fast before somebody else does. It's a classic, as is the Fidelity Research tonearm.

Hi Sachi,

Great to know you've been seduced by vinyl! :)

The Linn will give you quite a bit of an upgrade path, with tonearm, cart, powersupply. It's reputed to have a different sound signature compared to many solid plinth turntables so if you can listen to it at any of your audio pals' place there it would help you decide.

The FR tonearm is good like G401fan has pointed out with what seems to be a good table.

The rega has a good reputation too, as a budget performer. Here again tonearm mods can take the experience higher.

The Projects while solid deals are not very tweakable so keep that in mind.

Am not too sure rolling tubes in the project tube box will make a big diff, some guys on vinylengine have reported not much diff in rolling tubes. You would see a bigger difference rolling tubes in a dedicated tube phonostage. Am sure you'll end up making a superb DIY effort anyway in the long term ;)

Considering you're in the US, look around for guys who have idler drives like the Garrard 301/401/ Thorens 124/ Lenco L75, 78.

regards

Thanks for the info and guidance guys.

well looks like the vinyl splurge will have to be put off yet again for a coupleof months as i just bought this. Figured i need more than just audio as a hobby. Its a 2004 Kawasaki KDX-220R :eek:hyeah: I reckon this is going to be a bit more fun than a turntable :p

21506_0_1_2_kdx%20220%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

Kawasaki-KDX_220R-2003.jpg

so brought it home just an hour or so ago :)

Turntable will have to wait a month or two more. Thanks for the recommendations nonetheless guys.

img4349t.jpg

img4352hu.jpg

@ sekcy ........ I dunno how to ride them ... :sad:

should'nt have cost you more than 1000 US, it being of 2004 manufacture!

Last edited:
nope..cost me 1800. THis is in immaculate condition..barely been ridden. Brand new this bike was 4700 USD.
I could have bought a 1000$ bike but then would have had to put in 600$ in parts to make it trail worthy not to mention the hours to work on the bike.

Last edited:
Nice bike!
Your local craigslist has some very nice turntables for not too much
money - perhaps use as a starter TT for now.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back