• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Help me decide CDT or CDP

QUAD

shyamv

Thats what the Vinyl folks also say ! The CD had an added convenience of a remote control and one did not have to go over to flip it. And now streaming takes convenience to the next level :)

I too have a streamer (and a CD transport. the Sound quality of the transport is far better but the convenience of the streamer is really compelling.
From all I have read, computer audio needs a lot of investment of time/effort and not necessarily money to get right very much like a Vinyl setup.

CD transports also do need some effort especially around power and vibration control especially around isolation.The smallest of ground vibrations can make an impact and simple solutions like a half filled cycle tube under the CDP or even 1/2 cut squash balls can help isolating it,

Yes, one can't beat the convenience of a streamer. Over the last few months, I have been playing with RPi+Digione transport/streamers with Tidal hifi and I am quite impressed with the overall quality of sound one can achieve at a really small budget. But the heart wants a replacement for my Naim CD5 XS which I had to sell :)

venkatcr

I too have a streamer (and a CD transport. the Sound quality of the transport is far better but the convenience of the streamer is really compelling.
From all I have read, computer audio needs a lot of investment of time/effort and not necessarily money to get right very much like a Vinyl setup.
Not really any more. A 100$ unit consisting of a RPi plus a DAC can be set up in a few minutes. Of course, people like me work on computers all the time. I am sure there are any number of people who do not understand computers. For them, an amp play a simple player is still the best option.

arj

Staff member
Not really any more. A 100$ unit consisting of a RPi plus a DAC can be set up in a few minutes. Of course, people like me work on computers all the time. I am sure there are any number of people who do not understand computers. For them, an amp play a simple player is still the best option.
I did try it for some time and gave up..I had tried a dedicated mac with Audirvana with a USB SPdif converter ( Yellowtec PUC) and also have a Aries mini. Still prefer my cdt..of course that is a CDMPRo2 spec.

Not techie enough for the Rpi stuff ! but yeah i am sure Computer audio may have come some way down in price over the last few years

Last edited:

syednizamudeen

Audiolab CDT-6000 is a well raved CD Transport. If I were you, I'd put my money on speakers first as Audio Pro mentioned and you have a fantastic DAC and descent electronics and your speakers seem to be the weakest link in your chain... :)

AmitG

Would love to hear your opinion on Audiolab vs Sony UBP-X800. Please do post it here.
Got the Audiolab 6000CDT this weekend. Quite honestly, i'm blown away by the difference it has made. I was expecting some degree of improvement but its much more than i expected. The sound is clearer across all frequencies and there is a clear which was missing earlier. Most definitely worth the money. And it looks great too!

In case someone is wondering, I dont have a standalone DAC, im using my Anthem AVR to decode. I had almost stopped listening to CDs in the last 2 years after my earlier ARCAM player died, as i found the sound through the Blu-ray very clear but somehow flat and lifeless - i suspect that I am going to re-explore my CD collection again with the Audiolab.

mayukh80

Got the Audiolab 6000CDT this weekend. Quite honestly, i'm blown away by the difference it has made. I was expecting some degree of improvement but its much more than i expected. The sound is clearer across all frequencies and there is a clear which was missing earlier. Most definitely worth the money. And it looks great too!

In case someone is wondering, I dont have a standalone DAC, im using my Anthem AVR to decode. I had almost stopped listening to CDs in the last 2 years after my earlier ARCAM player died, as i found the sound through the Blu-ray very clear but somehow flat and lifeless - i suspect that I am going to re-explore my CD collection again with the Audiolab.
great to hear that. I hope hooking up 6000 CDT with Topping D90 would give a clean sound. I am looking forward to that.