Help! My Onkyo TX-NR 616 died on me!!!

It's just not Onkyo, Apple does the same, they won't touch an iPhone bought outside of india. More and more companies are moving this path to save there Margins. While not a great way to handle customers, you can't blame them either. many of components could be diff for diff models, as they are built country specific. Local Technicians seems to be the only help going forward.

Yeah, that's the problem - Apple does this, I'm pretty sure Sony does this (which means Samsung almost certainly does).

How many brands can we boycott?

I dont understand why these morons dont understand that instead of resorting to measures like this and completely losing customer faith, why cant they just drop prices to more reasonable levels?

Secondly, we as HifiVision here in India are probably the largest congregation of audiophiles in the country. Can we make something of a major movement through a dedicated forum post and make it so large that we can knock on the doors of Onkyo India/ Onkyo Japan with it? What say guys?

I think it's quite fair for Onkyo and other brands to not provide service for international purchases to protect their local dealers network.

Lots of products are significantly costlier in India due cost of doing business is high.

Also, this practice is not limited to domastic vs international. Brands restrict sales to authorise dealers, online purchases, etc.

When you buy something not through local authorised dealers you buy knowing you might not get service. So my rule of thumb is, if the price close double in India buy outside otherwise go local.

Now that all the small thoughts are posted, let me dive in to the biggie:

=========Buckle up guys, this is going to be a hair-raising ride===========

Yesterday, needless to say (for obvious reasons) was a miserable day at work. I couldn't concentrate, didn't feel hungry, my mind was pining for my music! Even after eating a very light breakfast, I was in such a bad mood that I didn't even feel hungry until 4 PM which is when I finally opened my tiffin and ate lunch!

Anyway, I came home to my crippled AVR and try to give it another shot. As I mentioned earlier, I suspected it was a software rather than a hardware problem.

Just for the heck of it, I did the factory reset routine once more.

But this time, after the unit reset, I ran through the entire initial setup cycle including Audyssey, Source Setups, Network Setups etc. (which I had skipped earlier).

Voila!

Running all these initial calibration tests gave the AVR software the proverbial kick in the n**s and it started up with all options enabled!

I thought I had passed the test! The first thing I did was insert the USB stick and upgrade the firmware. A few moments later I buried my face in my hands because the firmware upgrade failed with 'Upgrade Error' status!

Not to be outdone, I again re-formatted the USB stick, re-downloaded the firmware and re-tried the procedure. This time it worked! I thought I had seen God when I saw the message 'Completed!' flash on the AVR's panel!

I took some time to go through each menu option and set it to my preferences (which I had noted earlier).

Thus after hair-raising evening I got my AVR to sing again!

I'm not saying I'm out of the woods yet, I'm going to listen and test for this week before I feel relaxed again, but I sure am glad that I'm typing this post listening to my favorite Anoushka Shankar tracks!

Cheerio folks! I'll keep you posted!

My wife will kill me if she finds out I've put this on a public website, but yesterday when my Onkyo was down, the way I was feeling (sick, lack of appetite, lack of concentration) was very similar to the way I felt when I had a major fight with my wife!

I guess that's the hallmark of a true audiophile! Audiophiles are judged not by the cost of their equipment, but by the relationship they share with their equipment!

I think it's quite fair for Onkyo and other brands to not provide service for international purchases to protect their local dealers network.

Lots of products are significantly costlier in India due cost of doing business is high.

Also, this practice is not limited to domastic vs international. Brands restrict sales to authorise dealers, online purchases, etc.

When you buy something not through local authorised dealers you buy knowing you might not get service. So my rule of thumb is, if the price close double in India buy outside otherwise go local.

The 616 was costing 65K in India, I got it for (converted) 25K in Dubai! Guess I cant complain even if the thing conks out right??? :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

In the US they have been doing a courtesy repair on these.
There is also a lot of people taking off their HDMI boards, covering everything except the chip and cooking the thing in an oven.
I dunno, but I have dead onkyo's and pioneers with similar issues.
Cool.
Srinath.

Yeah, that's the problem - Apple does this, I'm pretty sure Sony does this (which means Samsung almost certainly does).

I dont understand why these morons dont understand that instead of resorting to measures like this and completely losing customer faith, why cant they just drop prices to more reasonable levels?

Secondly, we as HifiVision here in India are probably the largest congregation of audiophiles in the country. Can we make something of a major movement through a dedicated forum post and make it so large that we can knock on the doors of Onkyo India/ Onkyo Japan with it? What say guys?

My friend had bought Sony 40 inch TV from Malaysia few years back... When he spoke to Sony India, they said warranty doesn't apply, but service is "Chargeable" which is perfectly fine......

I bet, they wont drop prices...

Venkatcr had earlier mentioned that he wrote to VP of Onkyo, but there was no support... That is an indication of how they will respond...

Sure, letz try.... Am game for it...

If you have an 110V AVR from US, it is difficult for them to get spares as Asian models are 220V.... In this scenario, the point is very valid....

When someone gets it from middle east/europe/ Asain countries, it is the same 220V model that is aval in India... So why refuse service for a model where the spares are the same....

Thus after hair-raising evening I got my AVR to sing again!

I'm not saying I'm out of the woods yet, I'm going to listen and test for this week before I feel relaxed again, but I sure am glad that I'm typing this post listening to my favorite Anoushka Shankar tracks!

Cheerio folks! I'll keep you posted!

VOW :clapping:

Nice to read that it started working again.
Actually AVRs in India are overpriced than direct import.If in U.S.,Dubai ,people can get Onkyo AVR for 25K,why should Indian dealer ask 40K for it?
U.S. products are mostly made in Malaysia or China,then how can they afford sell for 25K?
even some AVR come with warranty period more than 1yr unlike here.

Am not sure if i can quote this link...

@mods please remove the link if it is violating the forum rules....

https://www.zauba.com/import-onkyo-hs-code.html

Search for "Onkyo" as keyword here... You can find the results yourself...

I searched for Onkyo 818 in this link, all imported from Malaysia...

Per unit import price is roughly 30K... But it was sold for 95K in India (last known price)....

Almost 200% more than the import price... Agreed we have duty, dealer margin & other stuff.. Even if you add 60% to import price, my AVR should not cost more than 50K in India....

Not sure who takes the other 150% here.....

Only once I have visited the onkyo showroom in a mall. Was shocked to hear the prices. Even the entry level models were priced over 40K and decided not to check again.

Heavily overpriced without any reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We can start with Onkyo to set an example for other brands.

@moderators >>>> Can we start a thread 'Boycott Onkyo' ?

Per unit import price is roughly 30K... But it was sold for 95K in India (last known price)....

Almost 200% more than the import price... Agreed we have duty, dealer margin & other stuff.. Even if you add 60% to import price, my AVR should not cost more than 50K in India....

That's was.Even if you pay import duty,price will increase by Rs.12000 including shipping.Say you buy avr from ebay global,you can see that extra 12k aprox as shipping and duty.Infact we are paying double shipping.The product goes to U.S. and then to India.Most of the dealers get their shipments directly from Malaysia or Singapore,so we should get it at lower price than current levels.Warranty is covered in this price. If in U.S.they can give here too.

Am not sure if i can quote this link...

@mods please remove the link if it is violating the forum rules....

https://www.zauba.com/import-onkyo-hs-code.html

Search for "Onkyo" as keyword here... You can find the results yourself...

Moderators may not agree but we forum members can always indulge in word of mouth (negative) publicity for such brands and boycott them

Moderators may not agree but we forum members can always indulge in word of mouth (negative) publicity for such brands and boycott them
Yes,this is possible.If Onkyo AVR have more failures,poor consumer support,favoring dealer's interest more and still overprices,this is possible to make FM aware.

That's was.Even if you pay import duty,price will increase by Rs.12000 including shipping.Say you buy avr from ebay global,you can see that extra 12k aprox as shipping and duty.Infact we are paying double shipping.The product goes to U.S. and then to India.Most of the dealers get their shipments directly from Malaysia or Singapore,so we should get it at lower price than current levels.Warranty is covered in this price. If in U.S.they can give here too.

Exactly... If prices are fair here, India will be a bigger market than US & Europe...

No point doing negativity about very popular brand.....

It is great to hear that OPs receiver started working at the end that's whats matters the most.

Now, I am not sure all AV equipment is excessively overpriced in India. Take example of Onkyo TX-NR 838. Its selling for $968 ($855.00 + $24.49 shipping + 10% tax) and that too lowest price seller. Amazon is selling for $1099. Thats ~60K INR. Now you get the same piece from authorized dealer in India for 85K.

Yes it is more but we are not factoring in the possible import duty for more 50K stuff, hassle of carrying it over and loss of warranty repairs. While no one wants to pay the mark-up but thats life.

I had done similar math for Epson projector TW-8200 and the Onkyo LS3100 when I purchased in the past and I decided buy local.

Now, I am not sure all AV equipment is excessively overpriced in India. Take example of Onkyo TX-NR 838. Its selling for $968 ($855.00 + $24.49 shipping + 10% tax) and that too lowest price seller. Amazon is selling for $1099. Thats ~60K INR. Now you get the same piece from authorized dealer in India for 85K.

Yes it is more but we are not factoring in the possible import duty for more 50K stuff, hassle of carrying it over and loss of warranty repairs. While no one wants to pay the mark-up but thats life.

I had done similar math for Epson projector TW-8200 and the Onkyo LS3100 when I purchased in the past and I decided buy local.

Check this link for Onkyo 838 model price in Kuwait... Even cheaper than US... Onkyo TXNR838 AV Receiver | xcite.com | Xcite Kuwait

200 KD.....Roughly 44K (Converted price) cheapest around the world & 220V version...

Check this link for unit price of Onkyo 838 imported to india... https://www.zauba.com/import-onkyo-838-hs-code.html

It is 27K import price...In India it is 85K....

Check this link for Onkyo 838 model price in Kuwait... Even cheaper than US... Onkyo TXNR838 AV Receiver | xcite.com | Xcite Kuwait

200 KD.....Roughly 44K (Converted price) cheapest around the world & 220V version...

Check this link for unit price of Onkyo 838 imported to india... https://www.zauba.com/import-onkyo-838-hs-code.html

It is 27K import price...In India it is 85K....

The import price is the cost price to the company that is how. I am not sure what is the point of comparing that here.

For the Kuwait price I have seen this site advertising low prices without availability like today.

To everyone his own, I purchased lot of equipment in India and US (not in Gulf countries thou) and if the Indian prices is in 30% range of US I mostly buy local.

I am in process of acquiring new AVR, mostly Onkyo and that too locally :).

The import price is the cost price to the company that is how. I am not sure what is the point of comparing that here.

I don't know correct terms in logistics... I think it is declared value of the AVR when exporting to other countries....

For the Kuwait price I have seen this site advertising low prices without availability like today.

I bought my AVR from Xcite 2 yrs back... They have limited stocks...

In context to the above price, add shipping & freight charges, it fairly equates to 44K...

To everyone his own, I purchased lot of equipment in India and US (not in Gulf countries thou) and if the Indian prices is in 30% range of US I mostly buy local.

I am in process of acquiring new AVR, mostly Onkyo and that too locally :).

When you purchase from gulf/asian countries, one advantage is 220V.. So you don't need any step down transformers...

Perfect buddy... I think it is 929, remember your thread... Good choice

I don't know correct terms in logistics... I think it is declared value of the AVR when exporting to other countries....

I bought my AVR from Xcite 2 yrs back... They have limited stocks...

In context to the above price, add shipping & freight charges, it fairly equates to 44K...

When you purchase from gulf/asian countries, one advantage is 220V.. So you don't need any step down transformers...

Perfect buddy... I think it is 929, remember your thread... Good choice
Correct. Still not sure about 838 vs 929. Both are priced exactly same with its own pros and cons.

Also, now the DTS-X added another dimension to whole debate. Since I don't need one right now, l am not able to make my mind ?

Back