Help! My Onkyo TX-NR 616 died on me!!!

In the US atleast, where there has been a lot of blown first and second gen HDMI receivers, Onkyo has gone well past warranties and courtesy repaired the amps. The TX sr 805, that I bought used for $50 in dead condition, the local authorised repair place tried to fix it for me - free - after onkyo authorized the repair. Too bad it was not fixable ... but they tried. That is well beyond the other brands. Dead Pioneer out of warranty, they laugh at you. Denon, yamaha, Marantz ... ditto. I have bought a few of those and fixed them when the issue was fixable.

However Onkyo has not done the same for their higher brand Integra.

Cool.
Srinath.

Exactly... If prices are fair here, India will be a bigger market than US & Europe...

No point doing negativity about very popular brand.....

Why not??? There are lot of customer-friendly Hi-Fi companies (with their customer-friendly policies) available in the market and their products are also reasonably priced as those companies don't add more than 200% premium on their products' pricing, just to satisfy their distributor. In this age of globalization, it seems very weird that Onkyo is not working for customers' satisfaction, Onkyo's policy is to please their Indian distributor. So, Indian customers should stay away from this brand.

One interesting anecdote, I wanted to buy Onkyo A9050, for that once I visited Promise Kolkata( Onkyo Dealer) got demonstration, SQ was so-so type, I was also curious about Onkyo TX8050 (Stereo Receiver), I asked the price, and the salesman quoted 45K price, where the said product was available(it is still available) at around $300. I lost my appetite for Onkyo products. Now, I am resolute that I'd never buy Onkyo product and also request my friends and relatives not to buy Onkyo products.

Some people may give example of Apple and gloat about Apple's premium value,
In that case, I'll give example of Nokia, once it was omnipresent but now, it is gradually going into oblivion. Why? reason we all know :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

Why not??? There are lot of customer-friendly Hi-Fi companies (with their customer-friendly policies) available in the market and their products are also reasonably priced as those companies don't add more than 200% premium on their products' pricing, just to satisfy their distributor. In this age of globalization, it seems very weird that Onkyo is not working for customers' satisfaction, Onkyo's policy is to please their Indian distributor. So, Indian customers should stay away from this brand.

There are two ways of approaching this...

1) Talk Negative (or) keep bad-mouthing abt a brand, but still ppl will buy...

A newbie will always be concerned abt warranty & other stuff.. So for them it makes sense to buy in India and get service.. Even someone who has spent time AVR's who don't like the hassles of international purchase, warranty also will take this route...

2) Keep looking for a brand who may not honour international warranty, but are ready to offer service in India....I would look for this...

Now need to find out which other brands are ready to offer service...I think Denon offers service for international purchase...

I have been using Onkyo AVR's for the past 10 yrs.... If Onkyo continues with this policy, 818 will be my last purchase... I will defnetly look forward to other brands...

Simple...I don't like to see a 45K brick @ home...

One interesting anecdote, I wanted to buy Onkyo A9050, for that once I visited Promise Kolkata( Onkyo Dealer) got demonstration, SQ was so-so type, I was also curious about Onkyo TX8050 (Stereo Receiver), I asked the price, and the salesman quoted 45K price, where the said product was available(it is still available) at around $300. I lost my appetite for Onkyo products. Now, I am resolute that I'd never buy Onkyo product and also request my friends and relatives not to buy Onkyo products.

A 220V Onkyo TX-8050 was aval in Dubai a yr back for 22K during DSF...I keep checking prices internationally...

"Your money, you are the king"...

Some people may give example of Apple and gloat about Apple's premium value, In that case, I'll give example of Nokia, once it was omnipresent but now, it is gradually going into oblivion. Why? reason we all know :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

Apple's primary market is "US" & other developed countries...I look at brands/products which strive to offer more and don't cost a bomb :eek:hyeah:

Bad news folks...

The thing worked for some 5-6 days, and conked out again! :(

I did some troubleshooting. The issue seems to stem from the fact that the system is not able to initialize the USB subsystem properly. This isnt a problem with the port. I tried swapping between the front and back USB ports, swapping USB sticks and all sorts of jugglery, but it didn't work out.

Bottomline - there seems to be a hardware issue in the USB subsystem.

I called up Onkyo India folks, and pleaded again - to no avail.

But the guy out there was nice enough to hear me out and stated that this seems to be a problem with the HDMI board - it's a singular board that runs the HDMI and USB subsystems.

Now the spare for this board (had they been authorized to service it) apparently would have set me back by about 25-30K!!!

Suddenly it doesnt seem like such a bad idea to procure it from abroad!

The way I see it, my current investment is 25K in this product. I would have spent another 30K (had Onkyo India allowed it) in servicing this product!
Worse, if I'd have purchased it in India, I'd have spent 65K in this product and then another 30K in servicing it anyway, since it's out of warranty!

Looking at all of the above, I think I should just move on and buy a new receiver, again from abroad. Any thoughts?

Bad news folks...

I did some troubleshooting. The issue seems to stem from the fact that the system is not able to initialize the USB subsystem properly. This isnt a problem with the port. I tried swapping between the front and back USB ports, swapping USB sticks and all sorts of jugglery, but it didn't work out.

But the guy out there was nice enough to hear me out and stated that this seems to be a problem with the HDMI board - it's a singular board that runs the HDMI and USB subsystems.

Now the spare for this board (had they been authorized to service it) apparently would have set me back by about 25-30K!!!

The way I see it, my current investment is 25K in this product. I would have spent another 30K (had Onkyo India allowed it) in servicing this product!
Worse, if I'd have purchased it in India, I'd have spent 65K in this product and then another 30K in servicing it anyway, since it's out of warranty!

Looking at all of the above, I think I should just move on and buy a new receiver, again from abroad. Any thoughts?

Its quite horrific and sad to read that the local service centers do not touch imported products even if one is ready to pay for the charges.
I think to get rid of the customer the person told you regarding the HDMI board costing 30K. So, that you don't call them up again.

Well, in that case I would suggest you to buy your new receiver from India itself and avoid buying from abroad. If anything happens in the first year itself you are taken for a ride again.

Bad news folks...

Sorry to hear that your AVR has given up....I think no point spending 30K on AVR which you bought for 25K approx 2 yrs back....

Use your 616 as stereo amplifier alone.... If the Digital inputs (Optical/Coaxial) work then even better...

My take, Yes...Get it from abroad.... For the same cost of servicing your Onkyo, you can get a very good AVR for 30K....

But Probably dump Onkyo & Try other brands....

But before that call up Yamaha, Denon, Marantz & Pioneer service center in Bangalore and check if they would offer service for 220V AVR purchased abroad.... 110V they will not service here...

I'm trying to find a Marantz 5009 in Dubai. Couldn't find anything online. Any leads would be helpful. The missus is headed there later this week so the timing is great! ;)

Bad news folks...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Stay away from Onkyo,, You may choose either Yamaha or Marantz, both are reasonably priced in India

Even denon priced logically. Ofcourse Pioneer prices too.
Onkyo is in unimaginary territory on pricing. What are the options for some loyal onkyo customer who relocate from another country to India with his AVR.
How can they deny the paid repairs/service?

As per Onkyo's stupid policy he should dump his AVR in that country itself instead of taking with him to India.

I'm trying to find a Marantz 5009 in Dubai. Couldn't find anything online. Any leads would be helpful. The missus is headed there later this week so the timing is great! ;)
Here its 57K with Bill warranty at soundout.

Some more links that can be of some help...

V V Sons seems to be the distributor of Denon & Marantz in Dubai.. Got hold of this DSF 2014 flyer....

http://ced.vvsons.com/DSFOFFER-2014/DSF-14-festival-offer-flyer.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/VVSonsCED

You may check there for latest offers....

Also DG Plus an other store, seem to have Yamaha, Denon & Onkyo...

DG plus is the largest provider for the brands Velodyne, GoldenEar, Monitor Audio, Anthony Gallo, Soundcast, Q Acoustics, Sony, QED, Monster, Profigold, Van Den Hul, Oehlbach, Marantz, NAD, PSB, Mission, Wharfadale, Pure Acoustic, Boston Acoustic, De

You can also check there....

Folks can somebody suggest a good place where I can audition the Marantz SR 5009 in Mumbai? I checked out the India distributors website, but they list some 60 dealers for Mumbai. I tried calling some up, but the data is a mess with some service center numbers etc. Difficult to filter out.

If somebody has a dealer in mind, please suggest. P.S: I already checked with Cinebels Bandra and The Shop Juhu, they dont have it.

Folks, I auditioned the Marantz 5009. It sounds great! The pricing quoted to me is in the range of 60-63k with bill. The MRP is 77K

Sorry for the late post, but bought the Marantz SR5009 for 60K with Bill from DJ Electronics Khar Mumbai

In the US atleast, where there has been a lot of blown first and second gen HDMI receivers, Onkyo has gone well past warranties and courtesy repaired the amps. The TX sr 805, that I bought used for $50 in dead condition, the local authorised repair place tried to fix it for me - free - after onkyo authorized the repair. Too bad it was not fixable ... but they tried. That is well beyond the other brands. Dead Pioneer out of warranty, they laugh at you. Denon, yamaha, Marantz ... ditto. I have bought a few of those and fixed them when the issue was fixable.

However Onkyo has not done the same for their higher brand Integra.

Cool.
Srinath.

I had an Onkyo TX NR 3008 which died on me in Nov after 4 years- HDMI board issue which has affected nearly half a million receivers! Went through the same process of pleading with the local yokels and also Onkyo USA to send me a replacement board, to no avail. Shipped it off to US from here,cost me 13k (30kg receiver). Got it repaired free of charge in US
thought of getting it down when my bro came down. decided against it and sold it for $500 on Ebay US..:sad:
Still have a Yamaha 1400 receiver thats going into its 11th year.
Onkyo - the receiver was really superb in terms of SQ - but not gonna touch it with a barge pole because of the service.. And nearly everything i have is from the US..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back