Help! My Onkyo TX-NR 616 died on me!!!

tanmayj

Hi. After 2 years of sheer joy, my Onkyo TX-NR 616 just died on me! Need help!

I switched it on today, and it's not responding properly. USB sticks are not getting detected. Network setup is not accessible, firmware upgrade is not accessible. In the home menu I can only see 'Setup' enabled. Nothing else. All other options including Net, USB, InstaPrevue, and firmware upgrade are grayed out.

I can only switch sources from BD/ DVD to STB/ DVR etc. (and they work fine), but I cannot do anything on the receiver itself!

I did a factory reset to defaults, but that didnt help.

Any suggestions?

You can consult Onkyo authorized service center located in Kalina,Santacruze(if not shifted).They can help you.

Hi. After 2 years of sheer joy, my Onkyo TX-NR 616 just died on me! Need help!

I switched it on today, and it's not responding properly. USB sticks are not getting detected. Network setup is not accessible, firmware upgrade is not accessible. In the home menu I can only see 'Setup' enabled. Nothing else. All other options including Net, USB, InstaPrevue, and firmware upgrade are grayed out.

I can only switch sources from BD/ DVD to STB/ DVR etc. (and they work fine), but I cannot do anything on the receiver itself!

I did a factory reset to defaults, but that didnt help.

Any suggestions?

Sad to hear this..... 2 years is very short time for AVR to give-up....

Please try to get in touch with Onkyo service center....

Are you able to switch to other sources with physical buttons on the AVR...

Yes I can switch to other sources.

Do you know anybody in Onkyo service? Thing is, I bought this (legitimately, serial no. isn't scratched off etc.) but from Dubai. I don't expect warranty coverage, I'm more than happy to pay for the repairs. I'm worried that they might pull some policy crap and not touch it!

Yes I can switch to other sources.

Do you know anybody in Onkyo service? Thing is, I bought this (legitimately, serial no. isn't scratched off etc.) but from Dubai. I don't expect warranty coverage, I'm more than happy to pay for the repairs. I'm worried that they might pull some policy crap and not touch it!

If you can switch sources physically on the AVR, then it is fine.... I suspect that your remote is faulty.....

Onkyo India have real stupid policy... I know a person from Chennai, not sure if he might be of help.... Anyways try your luck in Bangalore, if it doesn't work, I will help you with this contact details...

Its not a remote problem. On the remote it boils down to the home, enter and arrow keys which are working fine because I can navigate the setup menus

I still think its a software issue. Normally when you completely power off and power on the receiver, it 'initializes'. After the Onkyo banner there's a few seconds of 'initializing...' that runs across the screen. This is not happening. If this happens I think everything will click into place. To do this, I tried a factory reset but it didn't work. Does anybody know of any tricks to try a more comprehensive software reset than the simple factory reset mentioned in the manual?

A stupid sounded work around may be to discoonect the power plug and connect after few mins. Of course if haven't tried out yet.

Already tried. Didnt work. And it's not stupid! It's the workaround that has the maximum chance of success!

Folks, I spoke to Onkyo; as I feared, they completely shot me down flatly stating that they were under orders not to touch foreign purchased products in spite of users willing to pay for them!

Any alternate ideas anybody?

Folks, I spoke to Onkyo; as I feared, they completely shot me down flatly stating that they were under orders not to touch foreign purchased products in spite of users willing to pay for them!

For a legitimate product, purchased legitimately; a legitimate customer is being ignored! You please send a mail to Onkyo Japan and see what is their response.

On bigger note, Indian customer should boycott Onkyo products. Just in the name of warranty/service support Onkyo's distributor in India ask premium price. At times, Onkyo India's dealers quote a price, which is more than 200% of the international price. AV (audiophile grade) market, in India is niche, yet, Onkyo India dares to offend its customers with its products pricing and weird warranty/service policy :mad: :mad: :mad:

One option is to find a local tech to troubleshoot the problem and see if the parts would be available from online sources like ebay, amazon etc. And have the tech fix it.
Cheers,
Sid

For a legitimate product, purchased legitimately; a legitimate customer is being ignored! You please send a mail to Onkyo Japan and see what is their response.

I have gone through this whole process two years ago. I sent a mail to the President and VP of Onkyo. Their polite one-liner was 'buy from India to get local service'. Their policy is to protect their dealers in each country or region. I even spent money calling them and they politely referred me to the local guys.

I just took my AVR back to Dubai twice for servicing. I got free servicing each time.

Unless a product has a declared International warranty, most manufacturers follow this policy.

The Onkyo dealer in Chennai is a 'not-speaking' terms with me after the harassed him continuously the first time. He does not even reply to a sales call nor does he give me prices of new products.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have gone through this whole process two years ago. I sent a mail to the President and VP of Onkyo. Their polite one-liner was 'buy from India to get local service'. Their policy is to protect their dealers in each country or region. I even spent money calling them and they politely referred me to the local guys.

I just took my AVR back to Dubai twice for servicing. I got free servicing each time.

Unless a product has a declared International warranty, most manufacturers follow this policy.

The Onkyo dealer in Chennai is a 'not-speaking' terms with me after the harassed him continuously the first time. He does not even reply to a sales call nor does he give me prices of new products.

Cheers

Your post has opened my eyes; I was planning to buy Onkyo TX-8050 from US, priced around $299, but In india, it is around 40K!

Really feel sad for the response that you got from Onkyo.. 2 yrs back i too got my 818 from Kuwait as the price was more than 100% less compared to indian MRP assuming i would get service from Onkyo....

I really don't understand what matters to them if customers buys the same product internationally & get it serviced locally and willing to pay for it.... They are loosing valuable customers.... Really pity their immature service policy...

Anyways lesson learnt thru FM buy Onkyo products only in india if you are hooked to Onkyo...

Try to get Onkyo service technician numbers and get outside support if you can...

If you were in Chennai, i would have referred you to a more trust worthy technician here.....

Last edited:
A really weird advice!!!!! But hey thats what happend with my uncles marantz avr. I took it for service. The guy at mz audio looked into the matter and said that this is not a fault. He just picked up the reciever and kind of dropped or tapped it on the floor a few times. LOL the reciever functioned properly. This may not apply to you though. I guess the best would be to get local service instead if possible. And completely boycott this brand as this is not fair to the Customers who have purchased this internationally. Many need to write to onkyo. Also this brand is mostly surviving in india because of their low cost htibs+tie ups with outlets such as reliance, croma, etc........And INTERNATIONAL MARKETS. Hope someone of onkyo reads these posts on hfv.

It's just not Onkyo, Apple does the same, they won't touch an iPhone bought outside of india. More and more companies are moving this path to save there Margins. While not a great way to handle customers, you can't blame them either. many of components could be diff for diff models, as they are built country specific. Local Technicians seems to be the only help going forward.

One option is to find a local tech to troubleshoot the problem and see if the parts would be available from online sources like ebay, amazon etc. And have the tech fix it.
Cheers,
Sid

It isnt a part failure - its a software issue. Parts can be found locally, but it's usually beyond local techs to troubleshoot a software issue!!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back