help needed Big TV buy or not??

sunnysharma

Hey im posting this new thread for the new Reliance Big Tv HD+DVR.
I hope this thread helps evryone here.
My 1st query is: Is Big Tv good as DTH service provider??
2: Is the price 7,500 good or very expensive for the service?
3: Are there any owners of this particular Big TV who can share something with the forum users?
4: Is this a good product to buy???
5: The option of HD + DVR combo sounds exciting but is it worth it???

Please give me your honest opinions.
Thanks

Personally I would suggest you to stay away from Reliance products and services.

I had bought 3 connections of "Big TV" for 1 year when it was launched and the experience was TERRIBLE to say the least.

2 connections never worked!! And wrong plan was activated on the 3rd connection.

Customer care was pathetic as usual and the attitude of the company was shocking to say the least.

Below is the blog post I wrote on services of Big tv-

Code:
http://vu-point.blogspot.com/2008/11/big-tv-or-big-hoax.html

I have been using BIGTV for the last 2 years now. I have never faced any problem at all. Never required a phone call to CC. I have subscribed to the MAX pack and get all the channels in it. My parents have TS and apart from the better GUI (though it is too slow), I dont think TS is any better.

Go for TS HD it's awesome, you will not regret your decision.

How is the SD channel quality with hd stb? i saw in the other thread (tatsky hd)people felt sd channels were better with old stb?

Also any issues with 5.1 ?

Last edited:
Big TV seems to be the only HD DVR available in the market as of now.

Guess it would be best to wait & see how many channels they add in the next few months.

Its all about the content people. No matter how good the PQ or STB is, if there is no content to interest you it's all a waste. Am not a big fan of Discovery or Nat Geo, thats why waiting to see some sports channels added on a permanent basis.

Well i believe they should reduce the price a bit to around 5 to 6k.it is only 1.5k more then airtel PVR which is only SD capable.
I have been using Big tv SD for more then 2 years now,at the begining when it was in beta stage there was issues,which made me consider other dth providers,but the PQ edge it has is the one preventing me from going to other dth players,i also have airtel .
Sometimes with the software updates they get it wrong,like the previous update and current one.

I had upgraded to BigTV-HD DVR last month and have not faced any bad service. The box was delivered and installed within 48 hours. The picture quality is great on HDMI, even for the SD channels. Surely much better than the TS SD box. The recording works well for SD as well as HD content. The only issue I have is that all the scheduled recording instructions get wiped off if someone switches off the DVR by mistake. I am planning to add a UPS to take care of this issue. They have only one HD channel right now. I hope more will come soon, but the PQ is much better for even the SD channels. So it is surely worth the price.

Thanks,
Sharad

I hope this thread helps evryone here.
My 1st query is: Is Big Tv good as DTH service provider??
2: Is the price 7,500 good or very expensive for the service?
3: Are there any owners of this particular Big TV who can share something with the forum users?
4: Is this a good product to buy???
5: The option of HD + DVR combo sounds exciting but is it

Avoid it. Despite launching well before the others (TS, Airtel & Dish), they still only have one HD channel. They've been promising more HD channels for a while not, but as you can see, nothing has come of it.

If you absolutely want a DVR, wait a few months for TS to launch theirs, or see whether Videocon D2H (which is also launching a DVR) is worth it.

A HD DVR is useless with only 1 channel.

The picture quality is great on HDMI, even for the SD channels. Surely much better than the TS SD box.

That's an exaggeration. SD channels on whatever - BIG, Tata Sky, or whatever do not, and cannot look "great". The DTH companies ads intrigued me a few months back with their whole "digital picture" and its associated benefits. One look as a friends TS connection, and I decided to stick to my cable guy.

thank u all for ur replies......... but im in a bit of a hurry right now as i have shifted to a new place and have my brand new samsung 6 series tv waiting to be used.... im also getting an ONKYO 3300, have heard really nice things about it.... so i guess im gonna take the plunge with the big tv as it offers me both the services of a dvr and hd channels...... how many channels will be added on ... well only time will tell..... will surely write a small review once i get my hands on it..... thank u all

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back