Help needed for Speaker Cables from UK or US..

naren2512

Hi Friends,

1) Could you suggest any good speaker cables for my set up. It will have Onkyo 608 AVR and PSB Image book shelves, I will need around 120 feet speaker cable
for 5.0 setup. My friends are in UK and US and they will be traveling back to India in a months time so if there are any UK or US cable brands which can be
good for my setup available at relatively cheaper price than India, then i can have my friends carry the cable for me from Vides !

Please can you suggest some brands, My budget is 100 - 150 $ for this but want to make sure that i get value for money.

2) Also I will try to have someone carry a HD20 Projector for me form the US ( not sure how soon will that be possible ) .. so i will require HDMI cable of 30- 35
feet for this to connect my PJ with AVR. Can you please tell me as to what all things to keep in mind while selecting HDMI of this length ? and could you
suggest any value for money HDMI cables as well ?

Thanks for your help and hope to be able to find some good speaker cables & HDMI cable soon with your help !!!

Regards,
Naren

Last edited:
you can buy from here as well. you get good speaker wire here for about rs100 / metre. not sure the name of the brand though:). for your set up there will hardly be any (if at all) audible sound difference between good speaker wire and extremely good speaker wire

Agree with above, just make sure you get a good gauge wire.

If you would still like to go US route, Monoprice and Blue Jeans cables are great values. Have used both an dthey are both good. Just make sure to get a good amount extra so you are not left wanting when you actually run them.

Agree with above, just make sure you get a good gauge wire.

If you would still like to go US route, Monoprice and Blue Jeans cables are great values. Have used both an dthey are both good. Just make sure to get a good amount extra so you are not left wanting when you actually run them.

Any particular model of cables from blue jeens you would like to suggest?

I am thinking of getting a 14 gauge (AWG) wire from any good and value for money brand of cable based on the suggestion of HFV members will 12 gague be good enough ? (the wire running for fronts & surrounds will be 10 ft and 35 feet resp.)

(and yes the total wire requirement calculated by me was taking into consderation extra 20 ft of wire for future)

Last edited:
Friends,

I am considering below combination of HDMI cable and Speaker wires for my setup :

1) 120 feet "Beldon 5000UE " cable from Blue Jeens Cable

- description on Bluejeenscable.com is -> "BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG)

This will cost 74$ + shipping

2) " 35ft 22AWG CL2 Silver Plated Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black" from Monoprice.com

This will cost 41.85 $ + Shipping.

Please can you provide your views on this? will this be a good choice?

Regards,
Naren

for pair of BS that u will d stereo listening..use good ones like VANDAMME cables ..
for surrounds use DAC cables from India ,wasting on imported cables is not needed

Any particular model of cables from blue jeens you would like to suggest?

I am thinking of getting a 14 gauge (AWG) wire from any good and value for money brand of cable based on the suggestion of HFV members will 12 gague be good enough ? (the wire running for fronts & surrounds will be 10 ft and 35 feet resp.)

(and yes the total wire requirement calculated by me was taking into consderation extra 20 ft of wire for future)

I hope you know that lower the gauge thicker the wire. And obviously more costly. These are the suggested gauges wrt the length of the cable.

Less than 80 feet 16
80 to 200 feet 14
More than 200 feet 12

In your case you should go for 14 gauge cable.

In case you insist on buying cable from outside then I can suggest Richer Sounds in London especially the Liverpool branch. They stock many types of them and reasonably priced. Off hand, I can not tell you the brands. You can look at their web site and you can download their catalogue. You should find the details there.

Friends,

I am considering below combination of HDMI cable and Speaker wires for my setup :

- description on Bluejeenscable.com is -> "BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG)

2) " 35ft 22AWG CL2 Silver Plated Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black" from Monoprice.com

Regards,
Naren

1 - Yes this will be fine. I use the same.
2 - This will work fine, but will be quite thick. If you will have twists and turns, you can consider a 24AWG which will be slightly thinner and so more flexible. I have used this in several lengths - 35, 40, 45 ft - and they all work fine.

If you want to spend all the money you budgeted, I would get additional length of speaker cable or other lengths of HDMI cables. You can never have enough of both! Or, get 2 of the cheaper HDMI cables of same length. While I have never had a problem with any HDMI cable from monoprice (and I have used more than a handful), HDMI cables in general are known to be sensitive.

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Two questions which you may be able to help me with.

1) Instead of Belden would Supra 2.5 Classic be a better option to go with PSB speakers + NAD combination?

2) HDMI wont be for inwall use but still there will be 4 to 5 twists / turns for it to reach AVR... so will there be any signal loss if i use 24 AWG for 35 feet length? I had read somewhere that 22 AWG is ideal for this length.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Naren

1 - I have never tried that one, and neither will I try it for 3 times the price and so can't compare from experience. BJ works perfectly fine for me, and they are in general very popular here irrespective of speakers.

2 - I have several lengths of 24AWG greater than 40 ft embedded in walls and they work perfectly fine for me. I don't see any need to go to 22 AWG and deal with its thickness.

1 - I have never tried that one, and neither will I try it for 3 times the price and so can't compare from experience. BJ works perfectly fine for me, and they are in general very popular here irrespective of speakers.

thanks, could you also share the speaker and AVR combination you have used BJ with? as that can help me decide better.

2 - I have several lengths of 24AWG greater than 40 ft embedded in walls and they work perfectly fine for me. I don't see any need to go to 22 AWG and deal with its thickness.

Hmmmm.. seems like i can save some money here by going with 24 AWG :) but is 22 AWG going to be very difficult to twist ? ( i will not be using it inside the wall )

thanks, could you also share the speaker and AVR combination you have used BJ with? as that can help me decide better.

Hmmmm.. seems like i can save some money here by going with 24 AWG :) but is 22 AWG going to be very difficult to twist ? ( i will not be using it inside the wall )

1 - Onkyo TX-SR707 -> Parasound A52 amp -> Salk SongTowers.
2 - "Very" is difficult to quantify :) I have not handled the 22AWG myself, but having used the 24, I know I certainly don't want to deal with anything thicker. But hey, whatever makes you feel more comfortable! Check out the reviews on the website for both gauges, you can also chat with monoprice folks (or send them email).

I also agree with other advice above that Monoprice speaker cable would be perfectly fine with surrounds. That is what I have (Monoprice in-wall rated) running in my walls to Polk LC60i and LC65i surrounds and rear surrounds.

Are the RCA cables - RCA AH16100SN 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (100 Feet)
for 13 dollars good enough? I bought them six months back on my previous visit ot USA and bought speakers today..so will use it this weekend when I am back in Blore. Do let me know if I should more money on cables as I can still do some shopping tonight here in USA.

Friends,

Finally I bought "Beldon 5000UE " cable will receive it in about 3-4 weeks. Thanks for every ones help and I hope i like these ones :)

For the HDMI I have kept my purchase on hold until i find some one who can carry projector for me from the US..

Regards,
Naren

Friends quick question on HDMI cable :

I am unable to buy the HDMI Cable I liked from monoprice ( 24 AWG silver plated one) as the same is out of stock.

I found another one on bluejeens.com which is => "Tartan Cable 24 AWG HDMI Cables: (Chinese-made, 24 AWG Tinned Copper, CL2 rated)"

Does anyone know how these will be for 35feet length ? ( I intend to connect my AVR to my PJ using this one).. if any users / owners can share their experiance then that will be very helpful.

Regards,
Naren

12 AWG is overkill. You can probably drive down the costs as well with 14 as it shoudl be more than enough.

For HDMI, get flat cables as the longer ones are very heavy and thick and hard to work with.

Dont forget about connectors for speaker cables. If you are DIY kind monoprice has good gold plated ones which are twist type.

Friends,

Regards,
Naren

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back