Help needed for tweeter on DIY speakers.

I would suggest first order 2 Way cross over will simple one cap and one coil.
What you say?
circuit1.gif

In above diagram IMO +/- of speaker driver are exchanged.

This page may help you to calculate some values -
Crossover Design Calculators
Decide value for crossover frequency, generally 2500Hz or 3500Hz.
You already know where to buy parts. For 2500Hz it comes around C1=8.0uF and L1=0.51mH.

This has to be one of the best written articles on crossovers I have ever read... a crossover suggestion that blends technical issues with graphics and adequate background info to put forth the crossover design so clearly and concisely.

Well done!:clapping:

In above diagram IMO +/- of speaker driver are exchanged.

mishra,

I seem to have missed you quote:

Could I rephrase that... and tell me if its correct?

In above schematic IMO the polarity of the drivers are reversed / the speakers are connected out of phase...

and considering the drivers parameters are not known... how do we proceed?

Last edited:
mishra,

I seem to have missed you quote:
Could I rephrase that... and tell me if its correct?
In above schematic IMO the polarity of the drivers are reversed / the speakers are connected out of phase...
and considering the drivers parameters are not known... how do we proceed?

I wanted to tell - in above diagram both driver are in phase. As we know capacitor and inductance change signal phase in opposite way. In cap, voltage leads current and in inductance its opposite. So one of the driver (speaker) needs connected out of phase.

For crossover calculation you need driver impedance at 1KHz which is already known here as 8?. For conservative calculation I assume speaker at 6? because we will support lower frequency too and tweeter at 8? as it will be always at higher side. Calculate crossover at 2500KHz or 3500KHz.

Other driver specs are required for calculating box and port dimension or tuning.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in captain

Though I read it over a few times and try to decipher I think I am not getting the general gist of it, which is about over my head.

In post #21mishra suggested a first order crossover and commented, in above diagram IMO +/- of speaker driver are exchanged.

If I understand this (and I'm not sure I do), next post he is explaining the collective effect of the crossover elements, which translates to a second order alignment.

Does he mean to say his typical super-budget 6dB crossover with a capacitor on the tweeter and an inductor on the woofer introduces a phase shift?:confused: Where one driver needs to be reversed???

I sure hope someone has a good answer in plain and simple text.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in captain
Does he mean to say his typical super-budget 6dB crossover with a capacitor on the tweeter and an inductor on the woofer introduces a phase shift?:confused: Where one driver needs to be reversed???

I sure hope someone has a good answer in plain and simple text.
One big mistake on typing -- I have written 2500KHz and 3500KHz. Please read it 2500Hz and 3500Hz its not Kilo Hertz. Sorry about that.

I think you are correct. First order 6dB crossover introduces 90 deg phase shift among speaker and tweeter. So I was suggesting to connect on driver out of phase. Now here are difference of opinion. For 90 deg phase shift you may implement it as per diagram. But for higher crossover point (e.g. 3500Hz) this effect nullifies sound near crossover frequency. So my suggestion was to connect one driver in reverse polarity.

still stuck right where we started. although thinking of fabricating the x-over with some help ..however if i can get a pre made one i will be very happy...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back