Help needed for tweeter on DIY speakers.

theironhorse

hi ,

first of all let me give a huge thanks to @hydrovac for helping me out with speaker cabinets and other items in the AV giveaway. i acquired these speakers some 6 months back and due to work and commitments the project took a toll.

now have started working on them again for a very close friend who is also a FM here. am a DIY noob so please help me out with what tweeter needs to go in these speakers.

the drivers are gale 30 series 8 ohm ,
attaching pic for reference.

Last edited:
Any idea of the cut off frequency of the crossover?

no idea of the cutoff. can it be found out ? consider me noob. :)

Try Dayton DC28F-8Ohms one
DC28F-8OHMS

Or Peerless TL25SN
Peerless TL25SN

I am using both the tweeters and both are equally good, you will need an impedance matching with TL25SN.

thanks for the inputs. checked the same on the diyaudiocart website.

thanks to all the members for the immense help.

now question is do i look for any particular size ones ?
i can drill holes however wanted to know if i need to by anything as per size ?
what can be the matching combo for the gale 30 series drivers ?

Last edited:
Dont know how many people suggest this...but i feel compression drivers have better clarity. ..but ading horns make them look bulky...not sure...you can use them:-(

If you are using the original crossovers that came with the Gale speakers, then they are 1st order crossover as mentioned in their website (for bookshelves). So I presume the tweeters are crossed high. The tweeters are 25mm 8 ohm soft dome.

This should suit your requirement.

Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG

need to check on what crossover it is.. will update soon.
on the website they also mention dome tweeter 19mm with 3.25 drivers and 25mm with 5 inch drivers...
will preferring one above the other make a difference ?
thanks a ton :)

Last edited:
If you are using the original crossovers that came with the Gale speakers, then they are 1st order crossover as mentioned in their website (for bookshelves). So I presume the tweeters are crossed high. The tweeters are 25mm 8 ohm soft dome.

This should suit your requirement.

Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG

these tweeters show at 6 ohm however drivers are 8 ohm. will they work ?
or any extra load on amp ?

these will be run through avr though so load is not as such an issue due to infinite impedence of the AVR assumed but will it match well with a 8 ohm driver ?

Very true. The Daytons ones are famous as Silkys.

If you can afford, the RS series are even better. Can be crossed as low as 1500Hz.

i need to find out what crossover it is . there is the confusion. will check and get back to find the correct match.

for the front plate it is 11cm diameter so anything from peerless to dayton will fit. checked clearance.

Hey Aman!

I completely missed this. Thanks for the PM and pointing to your post... the crossover is my own DIY which was designed for some other drivers... also seems to be incomplete (missing inductors).

Here are the options:
I have two gale tweeters but they are 4 Ohms... so, either you design a 8 ohms woofer plus 4 ohms tweeter crossover or buy matching tweeters and design a 8 Ohm two way Xover.
Once you decide on the crossover slopes I will help you with inductors... you can use the existing boards by trimming/adding the capacitor values.

Cheers!

Hey Aman!

I completely missed this. Thanks for the PM and pointing to your post... the crossover is my own DIY which was designed for some other drivers... also seems to be incomplete (missing inductors).

Here are the options:
I have two gale tweeters but they are 4 Ohms... so, either you design a 8 ohms woofer plus 4 ohms tweeter crossover or buy matching tweeters and design a 8 Ohm two way Xover.
Once you decide on the crossover slopes I will help you with inductors... you can use the existing boards by trimming/adding the capacitor values.

Cheers!

given my knowledge about PCB and others.. it will be almost impossible for me to fabricate the x-over to be honest :D .i probably will then need to order a pre made x-over which can suit my requirements.. any pointers which one can be procured ?

diy audio cart is out of stock...

any place folks i can get a 2 way crossover. tweeter is pretty much decided on peerless 8 ohm silk dome 25mm.. as driver is also 8 ohm. i would not want to get a 4 ohm tweeter and add a resistor to it.

I would suggest first order 2 Way cross over will simple one cap and one coil.
What you say?
circuit1.gif

In above diagram IMO +/- of speaker driver are exchanged.

This page may help you to calculate some values -
http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html
Decide value for crossover frequency, generally 2500Hz or 3500Hz.
You already know where to buy parts. For 2500Hz it comes around C1=8.0uF and L1=0.51mH.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back