Help needed in selecting the right speaker for my Yamaha AS 500.

marX

Hi!

What I would like to have in my speakers :

1. good sub-bass, ~40 hz
2. good detail reproduction and sound stage.
3. slightly bright, in-your-face type of presentation.
4. not too difficult to drive.

I'm a rock music guy btw.

Speakers I have in my mind :

1. Q Acoustics 2050i
2. JBL STUDIO 280
3. Klipsch RF 62
4. Tannoy V4i

Also, I'm interested in Hari Iyer's Floorstanders too but would love to hear some opinions regarding how it sounds before making a decision.

Hi!

What I would like to have in my speakers :

1. good sub-bass, ~40 hz
2. good detail reproduction and sound stage.
3. slightly bright, in-your-face type of presentation.
4. not too difficult to drive.

I'm a rock music guy btw.

Speakers I have in my mind :

1. Q Acoustics 2050i
2. JBL STUDIO 280
3. Klipsch RF 62
4. Tannoy V4i

Also, I'm interested in Hari Iyer's Floorstanders too but would love to hear some opinions regarding how it sounds before making a decision.

------------------------------------------------------------
Try to get audition of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 with AS-500, as you mentioned that you like 'slightly bright' sound.

Listen to Dali Zensor 7 (around 62K)
You can also try Zensor 3 and later add a sub of your choice as AS-500 has sub-out

Last edited:
------------------------------------------------------------
Try to get audition of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 with AS-500, as you mentioned that you like 'slightly bright' sound.

Listen to Dali Zensor 7 (around 62K)
You can also try Zensor 3 and later add a sub of your choice as AS-500 has sub-out

Sonodyne?
I haven't heard them but...are they good enough?
Would try to get a demo at Banglore next week.

Oh..one thing I forgot is that I like the sound Monitor Audio speakers but I'm not really sure about their prices and stuff.
I have heard the BX2 and BX5 and liked them. But the amp used was a Marantz PM 6004 or something.

About using sub out, what about volume control? I mean, when I reduce the volume in the amp, does the volume of the sub reduce?

Btw, I have enquired about the pricing of the JBL and Klipsch, JBL STUDIO 290 would fall within my budget while the Klipsch RF 62 would be out by 30k.
I also enquired about Q Acoustics 2050i and Dali Zensor 7. He said he would call me back with the prices.
But the problem with him is that he only have the Yamaha,JBL, Klipsch and may be B&W for demo. The rest, I can buy and then demo it lol :D

Sonodyne?
I haven't heard them but...are they good enough?
Would try to get a demo at Banglore next week.

Oh..one thing I forgot is that I like the sound Monitor Audio speakers but I'm not really sure about their prices and stuff.
I have heard the BX2 and BX5 and liked them. But the amp used was a Marantz PM 6004 or something.

About using sub out, what about volume control? I mean, when I reduce the volume in the amp, does the volume of the sub reduce?

Btw, I have enquired about the pricing of the JBL and Klipsch, JBL STUDIO 290 would fall within my budget while the Klipsch RF 62 would be out by 30k.
I also enquired about Q Acoustics 2050i and Dali Zensor 7. He said he would call me back with the prices.
But the problem with him is that he only have the Yamaha,JBL, Klipsch and may be B&W for demo. The rest, I can buy and then demo it lol :D
---------------------------------------------
Sonodyne is inexpensive (won't use the word 'cheap') VFM product. and since you like slightly bright sound, I think, you'd like it. But, don't resort to blind buying. Whatever hi-fi product you buy, you first listen to it. A costly, highly revered speaker may not suit your taste of music

if you add an active sub (using sub out of yamaha) and reduce volume control of your amp, volume of the sub won't reduce. you need to use controls of our sub

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------
Sonodyne is inexpensive (won't use the word 'cheap') VFM product. and since you like slightly bright sound, I think, you'd like it. But, don't resort to blind buying. Whatever hi-fi product you buy, you first listen to it. A costly, highly revered speaker may not suit your taste of music

if you add an active sub (using sub out of yamaha) and reduce volume control of your amp, volume of the sub won't reduce. you need to use controls of our sub

Ok, yeah, I understand.

Oh oh. That is cumbersome.

A pertinent question here, which amplifier will drive the potential speaker? A lot will depend on your amplifier.

Btw, is there any Monitor Audio showroom in Bangalore where I can get a demo?
Otherwise, I would have to go to Chennai (The Audio People)

I have AS-500 with Craftel speakers and it produces a netural sound signature.
I use dell inspiron laptop and hrt music stream ii.

If you are coming as far as Chennai to visit The Audio People, then you might consider visiting Craftel which is situated close by.

LOL

I completely ignored the title of the thread.
It is one of those senior moments at 30 ! :lol:

Ha ha lol :D
Happens to me too sometimes :p

On the subject though, I know the AS 500 is an entry level amp and I would be upgrading it with a better DIY solution later.

If you are coming as far as Chennai to visit The Audio People, then you might consider visiting Craftel which is situated close by.

Craftel?

Never heard of them, TBH.

Btw, I'm not exactly in a hurry to visit Chennai though. I try to remain in Kerala as far as possible. I don't like travelling that much....now.

As for listening Monitor Audio, I hope there is at least one shop in Bangalore. Otherwise I would have to do the inevitable.

FM nikhil has / had a pair of psb image t5 i think for sale..

you may like to consider it.

Craftel?

Never heard of them, TBH.

Btw, I'm not exactly in a hurry to visit Chennai though. I try to remain in Kerala as far as possible. I don't like travelling that much....now.

As for listening Monitor Audio, I hope there is at least one shop in Bangalore. Otherwise I would have to do the inevitable.

FM nikhil has / had a pair of psb image t5 i think for sale..

you may like to consider it.

Thanks for the heads up!
T5?
Never heard about it but the T6 is an another story.
Is it like MA's BX5 and BX6?

EDIT:
Can't find any link regarding that^^

Last edited:
So, I got the pricing of the new B&W 685 S2 and it's well within my budget.
I'm wondering where I can get an audition of B&W speakers in Bangalore!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back