Help needed with Home theater setup

warrior047

Hello all,
Really need your valuable suggestions. I have always been someone who wanted great sound per my capacity. I used Edifier, Swans and then shifted to JBL Soundbar which am using.

Now i want to venture into proper Home theater audio. Am really confused with so many options. I am from hyderabad and dont know much dealers. But the shops i visit always suggest regular satellite speakers. But i want more quality with right sound profile experience.

Based on my study, I feel like i dont need to put in more money for the below room size. Its a straight hall and TV, speakers should fit in the first half of the room only.
But i need your suggestions pls. I want a future proof amplifier and hence looking towards Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 or SR6015 based on best prices. Not sure if its too much high considering the room size. But i dont want to change the amplifier in the near time.

Coming to speakers, i would like to try proper bookshelf speakers here along with more money being spent on Sub and Center channel in a 5.1.2 setup for now.
SVS basic sub or anything?
Center, left and right needed - Not a fan of tower or standing speakers and my room wouldn't need them - Dali/Focal/Qacoustics/Canton/Fyneaudio or anything else? Pls suggest
2 Surrounds - JBL within budget?
2 Ceiling Atmos - ?

Kindly help guys. Budget including AV Receiver would be 2.2 lakh. I might in future add few more speakers but not in the near while.

Hall_Pic.JPG

Hi. What exactly is the advice you are looking for ? Choice of speakers ?

There are many options in that budget.

For example - Q Acoustics.

I would suggest that you buy all 5 speakers as a set.
You will get a better deal, and the speakers will tonally match.
I would not suggest, for example, that you buy QA fronts and JBL surrounds.

The sub can be any brand of your choice, though QA has a really good sub.

Speakers have a big impact on the type of sound, therefore suggest that you demo and choose.
Only you can decide what type of sound you like.

In Hyderabad, I suggest that you start by going to ProFX for a demo.
They should be able to give you a demo of Denon AVR + Polk speakers. Worth trying out.

At the moment, AVRs have high inflated prices. With your budget and with very good negotiation skills, you can get this set for around 2.3L
QA 3050i pair
QA3090Ci
QA 3010i pair
QA QB12
X2700H
JBL 6ic pair (Atmos)
If you want some subwoofer oomph, skip QB12 and go with BIC PL300ii for maybe an extra 5k

At the moment, AVRs have high inflated prices. With your budget and with very good negotiation skills, you can get this set for around 2.3L
QA 3050i pair
QA3090Ci
QA 3010i pair
QA QB12
X2700H
JBL 6ic pair (Atmos)
If you want some subwoofer oomph, skip QB12 and go with BIC PL300ii for maybe an extra 5k

In my view QB12 has plenty of oomph.

I would suggest that see if you can reduce the cost by replacing the QA 3050i pair with 3020i, since the OP has specifically said he prefers BS to FS.

In my view QB12 has plenty of oomph.

I would suggest that see if you can reduce the cost by replacing the QA 3050i pair with 3020i, since the OP has specifically said he prefers BS to FS.
thank you. I have checked with dealer and they recommending Canton and gallows. I want to buy the LF, LR and Center speakers in one brand only as you suggested.

Instead of floor standing 3050i, can i opt for 3030i for front, 3010i for surrounds? I would also like to consider Dali and SVS as heard lot of good things.

QA 3050i pair
QA3090Ci
QA 3010i pair
QA QB12
X2700H
JBL 6ic pair (Atmos)
Thank you. Can i take LF, LR and center in one manufacturer and the sub, surrounds elsewhere? I wanted to pursue SVS SB1000 to fit the right punch without boom effect

I am also inclined towards wharfedele diamond 12.2 series for LF, LR and center. Not sure but i have heard great things. Only point is no one sells it here and i need to get it online.

Also spend good amount on sub like SVS or Fyneaudio (Budget) or anything else that packs a punch for less than 300 SFT size.

thank you. I have checked with dealer and they recommending Canton and gallows. I want to buy the LF, LR and Center speakers in one brand only as you suggested.

Instead of floor standing 3050i, can i opt for 3030i for front, 3010i for surrounds? I would also like to consider Dali and SVS as heard lot of good things.

3030i or even 3020i is fine for fronts.

3010i is perfect for surrounds.

Dali is very good. I have the Oberons.

Thank you. Can i take LF, LR and center in one manufacturer and the sub, surrounds elsewhere? I wanted to pursue SVS SB1000 to fit the right punch without boom effect

You can buy sub from any brand of preference.

On surrounds, my view is stick to the same manufacturer as fronts and centre.
You will get a better deal if you buy all 5 as a set.

I personally have 3030i pair and they are just 3050is sawed in half (except for that extra radiator). I suggested 3050i because of the room size that you are having. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with 3030is and 3010i for surrounds. These perform exceptionally well. However, Sub comes to your own taste in the end. Going with ported could offer you a better "amount" of bass for the money you are spending at the cost of bass accuracy.

3030i or even 3020i is fine for fronts.

3010i is perfect for surrounds.

Dali is very good. I have the Oberons.
Dali oberon 3? is the premium worth it when compared to Qacoustics? Sorry for the question. Whats the best price and where do you suggest to buy?

I personally have 3030i pair and they are just 3050is sawed in half (except for that extra radiator). I suggested 3050i because of the room size that you are having. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with 3030is and 3010i for surrounds. These perform exceptionally well. However, Sub comes to your own taste in the end. Going with ported could offer you a better "amount" of bass for the money you are spending at the cost of bass accuracy.
Thank you. U mean sealed is more costly as i see than ported. But am afraid ported subs give that boom sound which shatters the glass etc., Which one you are using Ravi? Am also from hyderabad and confused about the same or the potential dealers.

Also whats your take on the AVR? X2700H too much and we can go with S960H?

You can buy sub from any brand of preference.

On surrounds, my view is stick to the same manufacturer as fronts and centre.
You will get a better deal if you buy all 5 as a set.
But then would it be a HTIP setup? Am also looking at focal SIB 5.1

Dali oberon 3? is the premium worth it when compared to Qacoustics? Sorry for the question. Whats the best price and where do you suggest to buy?

In my personal view, the Dali Oberon 1s sound amazing. Tiny in size but room filling sound. I replaced 3030i with Dali Oberon 1 in my office stereo system. But it's a small room.

In a large hall, for a HT system, QA 3030i is probably a more sensible choice.

Thank you. U mean sealed is more costly as i see than ported. But am afraid ported subs give that boom sound which shatters the glass etc., Which one you are using Ravi? Am also from hyderabad and confused about the same or the potential dealers.

Also whats your take on the AVR? X2700H too much and we can go with S960H?
I am using QB12 and for the glasses being shattered, you can find that glasses vibrate but not shatter with the amount of bass that we listen to.
As for the AVR, Andrew Robinson's take on S960 was not good. But then, AV stuff is subjective. Most of the redditors say that Denon's S series was released in competition to Onkyo receivers and X series is made with better components. But once purchased, you wouldn't even think about which receiver you are using. Sorry if I am not answering your question, but I am trying to give some insights

Am planning below for the straight hall though the speakers fit in the first half of the room itself. Need your recommendation guys.

left and right fronts - Dali oberon 3/Kef Q350/Wharfedale Diamond 12.2/Martin logan Motion 15i
- Am also interested in On wall speakers like KEF 301 series or Martin logan Motion SLM series (not XL)
Center - Dali oberon vokal/Kef Q650/martin logan motion 30i/Motion SLM/KEF 301C
2 Surrounds - Kef T101/Dali oberon on Wall/Martion logan Motion SLM?
2 Ceiling Atmos - Polk Audio RC80/KEF Ci130ER/Q Acoustics QI65C
Subwoofer - SVS Sb-1000 Pro/Martin logan Dynamo 800x/REL Acoustics HT/1003/REL Acoustics HT/1205
AVR - Denon X2700H/X3700H, Marantz SR6015/5015 (Dont want to change AVR anytime in near future)

Am planning below for the straight hall though the speakers fit in the first half of the room itself. Need your recommendation guys.
Hi Warrior,
All good choices.
Could you please crop the original floor plan to show what the HT dimensions alone are?
Will help hugely in other FMs guiding you right.

left and right fronts - Dali oberon 3/Kef Q350/Wharfedale Diamond 12.2/Martin logan Motion 15i
They are all on the same ball ball park.
The MLs have a very airy top end thanks to their folded motion tweeters, but that then brings a midrange issue, especially in a bookshelf.
- Am also interested in On wall speakers like KEF 301 series or Martin logan Motion SLM series (not XL)
Was very difficult to find a KEF 301 for audition, but the ML were very tinny.
In my search, one thing I realised was this: A slightly boxy on-wall almost always sounds better than a thin on-wall irrespective of the tech used.
So, you could try the XTZ on-wall boxes, MA Radius 225 (which i finally went with) or the Totem Tribe. Paradigm (not the Millenia) has a boxy on-wall I have heard good things about, as does PSB. I'd suggest give both their thin on-walls a skip.

The Klipsch RP-XXX-D series and the GoldenEar SuperSats are also a good option. Since you are in Hyd, I can tell you the Klipsch prices by the Hyd dealer is the lowest I have come across major cities.

Alternatively, you could look at (slightly more expensive) backboxed in-walls, if you are planning the room from scratch.

Finally, give a thought to satellites of any decent brand: QA 30XX, Paradigm Cinema, SVS, MA 45s, Oberons, etc...

Center - Dali oberon vokal/Kef Q650/martin logan motion 30i/Motion SLM/KEF 301C
Choose the Centre after you have chosen a brand. Try a three-way, if the brand-same series has one.
Alternatively, choose the best sounding three-way centre first, since you say this is an HT. And then get their matching L-Rs of your choice.
2 Surrounds - Kef T101/Dali oberon on Wall/Martion logan Motion SLM?
Ditto. Choose last after you have locked LCRs.
2 Ceiling Atmos - Polk Audio RC80/KEF Ci130ER/Q Acoustics QI65C
Ideally, same brand/series/family, but could be anything within your budget.
Only thing I would suggest are these two:
1. Best option is a tweeter within a woofer, where the whole unit can pivot according to your seating position.
2. If that is out of budget, at least a tweeter that can pivot.

Subwoofer - SVS Sb-1000 Pro/Martin logan Dynamo 800x/REL Acoustics HT/1003/REL Acoustics HT/1205
From auditions, I'd suggest give the SVS and the MLs a skip, and go with one of the RELs that will fill your room.
You should also check out the Rythmiks.
One major thing, if the room is open to other areas, then you will need some kind of bass management.
If the room is enclosed, eyes shut go with sealed. (This I say from personal experience)
AVR - Denon X2700H/X3700H, Marantz SR6015/5015 (Dont want to change AVR anytime in near future)
Since you don't want to change the AVR in the near future, definitely 3700 or the equivalent Marantz/Onkyo/Yamaha.

Trust this helps.

One last thing, all these options you have mentioned, are you sure they are coming within 2.2L?
If you want to strictly stick to the budget, I's suggest the following, +- depending on availability/dealer:
AVR: 3700 (1.1L-1.3L)
Sub: 1003 (.6L)
LCR: Taga OW80s or any good satellite of your choice within budget.

Sur and ceiling/heights can be a later upgrade.

Also, please do mark off the HT area in that layout and attach pic again.
Will help everyone suggest better.
All the best with your journey.
Regards

Last edited:
All, pls find the HT setup for better guidance to me. The three sides are wall and the blue line indicates open area which extends this living room by another 200 SFT though.

Attachments

• HT Setup.JPG
    HT Setup.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 22
All, pls find the HT setup for better guidance to me. The three sides are wall and the blue line indicates open area which extends this living room by another 200 SFT though.
The square dimension by itself shouldn't be a problem here, cos the room is open to the left of the picture.
But you will definitely need to manage the bass.

And, your Right Front (9-side) will have a lot of reflections, and the Left Front (open side) will have wide dispersion without any reflections.
I suspect the AVR's room correction will try to address it, but it might still result in some unevenness at listening position.

Could you have a divider or a sliding door of some kind along the blue line?

Also, how are you planning to place the Front Right and the Surround Left speakers?
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back