Help Regarding HT

trojan_virus

Well i am sorry regarding starting new thread , as no. of threads r already made with same quire's .

Well I am looking for complete HT comprising DVD + Receiver + Speakers 5.1

Well budget is max to max 40k .

I went 2 Yamaha Showroom , got a look at 363 and 463 receiver models with Yamaha speakers attached . they had many other options but i am confused .
So plz help me out guys . :confused:

I can am ready to mix n match other brands if u suggest me to do so .

Well i am sorry regarding starting new thread , as no. of threads r already made with same quire's .

Well I am looking for complete HT comprising DVD + Receiver + Speakers 5.1

Well budget is max to max 40k .

I went 2 Yamaha Showroom , got a look at 363 and 463 receiver models with Yamaha speakers attached . they had many other options but i am confused .
So plz help me out guys . :confused:

I can am ready to mix n match other brands if u suggest me to do so .

Buddy

Welcome to the forum !!!
Have a nice stay ahead !!!

Buddy...
do you want to compromise, on quality and get a complete 5.1 system.

Or do you wanna be satidfied, with what you are investing.

What i would suggest is look, for an AVR like Denon 1508/07 or Marantz 4001/5001...or so...for about Rs.25K

And then go for a local DVD Player, or go in for Sony...for about Rs.5K

Then spend the balance 10K on the pair of speakers...
go in for Wharfedale Diamond 8 series, or Mordaunt Short, or so on...

Then, a bit later, spend on for Floor Standers, and Center, and Subwoofer, to complete your setup...
Atleast you will be satisfied with what you are spending on...
rather then just throwing in the money, in some waste HTiBs....

Moreover you need to decide on your use...Whether it is more of movies or music, or both..

Work it out, audition, as much as you can...

I agree with Mridul. Not that the Yamahas are poor receivers, do check them out...but buy a receiver by itself (Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon), spend maybe 25k.....and like mridul said, pick up an upscaling DVD player such as the Sony NS708P or the Samsung 1080pk. then spend 11k and get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. For now you will only have a stereo setup, but slowly you can push the 9.1s to the back and put 9.5s in the front and get a center speaker, and then get a sub...etc., THis is the slow-and-steady approach, and if you're particular about sound quality.

However if you listen to an HTIB, and you like what you hear, and the sound produced by it gives you the satisfaction that you are seeking, then by all means go for it, the advantage is that you don't have to wait to experience 5.1 channel sound. With regard to the "options" what are you talking about? What options are confusing you?

For the same budget there's also another option, Onkyo 304 which is a basic 5.1 receiver (75 W per channel i think), and Jamo 406 5 speaker package (including floorstanding fronts)....this package is available in e-zone for 30k, to this you can add a Sony or Samsung DVD player for 5k or even a cambridge audio DVD89 for 10k. This is a good value option.

Well guys thanks alot
hats off 2 ur knowledge

Well i am ready 2 break the HT into bits but one thing is that what would be the price of next upgrade ?? after i spend 40 k

And 90% it will be used for movies , as i already have a Sony Music system and hardly one listens it .

And i want you to be specific with model numbers and brands u want me to go in for and i might come 2 Delhi to buy the stuff as Chandigarh has no gud dealers .

Give me two packages for budget of 40k
And this is one time investment on Receiver n DVD player till they die :D

so it's 40k till you die and mostly movies. Hmmm....then the Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 HCS package (at Rs. 30,000) makes eminent sense. This does not have a sub, but the floorstanding fronts produce pretty decent bass. You can add a sub later for Rs. 10,000.

Buy a cambridge audio DVD89 1080i upscaling DVD player for 10k and your setup is ready. It does not upscale to 1080p however....this is only if you have a really large screen Full-HD television.

Do tell us what your TV is, so that this DVD player dilemma can be settled.

Buddy

What i would suggest is look, for an AVR like Denon 1508/07 or Marantz 4001/5001...or so...for about Rs.25K

And then go for a local DVD Player, or go in for Sony...for about Rs.5K

Then spend the balance 10K on the pair of speakers...
go in for Wharfedale Diamond 8 series, or Mordaunt Short, or so on...

Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 HCS package (at Rs. 30,000) makes eminent sense. This does not have a sub, but the floorstanding fronts produce pretty decent bass. You can add a sub later for Rs. 10,000.

Buy a cambridge audio DVD89 1080i upscaling DVD player for 10k and your setup is ready. It does not upscale to 1080p however....this is only if you have a really large screen Full-HD television.

Do tell us what your TV is, so that this DVD player dilemma can be settled.

Well c i am confused , you two gave diff brands n model numbers ,
lets short list brands first

Receiver
Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
etc

Speakers
Somewhat i prefer Wharfedale
No idea abt Jamo

Regarding TV
I use Sony Vega Flatron , no lcd connected though we might buy 40" for our tv room .

trojan

FOr your budget, you can't assemble a full set of speakers from Wharfedale. SO unless you are prepared to go with the slow and steady approach (and set out maybe 90k or so in the long run) wharfedale is not a feasible option.

Which is why I said for your budget it is best you go for the Onkyo TX-SR304 Receiver andthe Jamo 406 HCS1 package. If you prefer wharfedale, which is understandable, considering that this Jamo is a low-end package, then your option is to buy a receiver (and this can be the Onkyo 304 if you prefer, that would cost about 16k). If you buy this 16k receiver you can buy a pair of wharfedale 9.5s for 24k, and put in 5k more and buy either a Sony NS708 or a Samsung 1080pk. So.....for 45k you would have a 5.1 capable receiver, a pair of floor-standing fronts, so you can get some good music, and nice bass.....and a decent upscaling DVD player which should be more than adequate for your CRT, and should be a competent match for your 40 inch HDTV.

Later you can add a pair of Diamond 9.1s (11k) for surrounds, and a 9CS for the center (10k). This setup alone should give you a pretty nice immersive cinema experience, but then you can put in another 15k and get a wharfedale sub. So let's go over your options again:

ALL AT ONCE

Onkyo TX-SR304 + Jamo 406 HCS1 (30k) + Cambridge Audio DVD89 (10k) - Rs. 40,000 (subwoofer will cost addtional Rs. 10,000)

STEP BY STEP

Step 1

Onkyo TX-SR304 (16k) + Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s (24k) + Sony NS708 / Samsung 1080 pk (5k) = 45k

Step 2

Wharfedale 9.1s (11k) + Wharfedale 9CS (10k) = 22k

Step 3 (not essential)

Wharfedale SW150 (16-18k?) = 18k

Total cost = about 90k (you can reduce 13k from this this by using 9.1s for your fronts, which would make your step 1 cost 32k) (and you can reduce 18k by removing step 3 altogether, but that's personal preference)

Psychotropic, would it make sense for Trojan to try something like a Sonodyne sub/sat system? Something like 5xGenie 1s with a Roarr 108?

There are, of course, other brands such as DNM, telome, and Sanen, but since Trojan is near Delhi, he will get good demo and service from Sonodyne.

Cheers

hey venkat, i've heard the Genie 1s a long time back and i quite liked them, but I think they would be more akin to a very good HTIB than a separates system.....but I suppose for that matter, apart from the look the Jamo 406 HCS1 package doesn't boast too much else in common with a separates system.....How much does this (the sonodyne) combination cost??

and in something a bit unrelated, has anyone listenened to sonodyne's soundbar?

Trojan Buddy...

I would suggest you to chuck out the Onkyo Amplifier option...
Though its settles in most budgets, but is not worth...

When you are looking for Movies...
Then..

Recievers :
Denon - 1507 (Rs.23,000 or Rs.22,500)
Denon - 1508 (Rs.24,500)
Yamaha - (Forgot the Model No.) (Rs.27,500)

Speakers :
Wharfedale - 9.1 (Rs.11,000 approx.)
Q Acoustics - 1010i (Rs.10,550)
Polk Audio - Monitor-40 (Rs.14,000)

DVD Player :
Sony : Rs.5,000 approx.
Samsung : Rs.5,000 approx.
Pioneer : (Grey) - DV600 - Rs.7,500 approx.

Cables :
Usher - Rs.150 per mtr.
QED - Rs.150 per mtr.
Monster - Rs.140 per mtr.

Will give you final price once you decide...

Get the cabling done at once for your complete 5.1 setup...
So that on later stages that will not be a headache to you...

After that regarding your post budget, it depends, what all you want to go in for...
Some Suggestions :
Q Acoustics : 1030i - Rs.23,500
Polk Audio - Monitor 50 - Rs.20,000
Wharfedale - Diamond 9.3/9.4 - Rs.24,000 approx.

Subwoofer :
Polk Audio - PSW110 - Rs.11,500
Wharfedale - Diamond 9s - Rs.14,000 approx.

Center Speaker :
Polk Audio - Rs.11,500 approx.
Wharfedale - Diamond 9c - Rs.12,500 approx.

So it will be again Rs.50,000 for th complete setup in future...

And in case you have the Sony Mini System with you, and if that has DVD Player, than chuck out those Rs.5-7K for now, and later you can buy good ones.

I know, the amount as per your current budget sounds too much...
But, prefer to be patient, as in later stages, you will be the one, who will be satisfied with your setup...

So, shoot, whatever you want...
And prefer not to waste in HTiBs...

hey venkat, i've heard the Genie 1s a long time back and i quite liked them, but I think they would be more akin to a very good HTIB than a separates system.....but I suppose for that matter, apart from the look the Jamo 406 HCS1 package doesn't boast too much else in common with a separates system.....How much does this (the sonodyne) combination cost??

and in something a bit unrelated, has anyone listenened to sonodyne's soundbar?

Looks as if Sonodynes are expensive. Close to 50,000 for a 5.1 Genie set? Each Genie 2 seems to be prices at 8K. Plus you have to get a sub. That is crazy.

The Soundbar is new, and I would also like into read some reviews.

Cheers

Well i have decided to buy HT is parts as SQ matters to me most .

Receivers

As some 1 suggested Denon 1507/08 , but on net rating of this model isnt that gud . is dis worth 24k ?
I want price /performance model as this would be last buy till its dead. :)

Speakers
Well i will be diving them into parts . First buy would be the front ones as per every1 suggestions . Some how i like Wharfedale , suggest me the model keeping the price of receiver in mind , if that increases then i have to settle for lower model of speakers . And then 2nd Upgrade of speakers will be best one .

Dvd
Pioneer 600AVS is what i like on paper , please tell how is it . And does it has usb2.0 as i will be using external hdd .

Receivers
As some 1 suggested Denon 1507/08 , but on net rating of this model isnt that gud . is dis worth 24k ?
I want price /performance model as this would be last buy till its dead. :)

I think the 1507 and 1508 at 25 odd K are overpriced. It is much better to look at 1709. ProFx officially quotes 32K for this, and I am sure it can be bargained down to 26 or 27K. At that price, it beats the 15xxs hollow.

Speakers
Well i will be diving them into parts . First buy would be the front ones as per every1 suggestions . Some how i like Wharfedale , suggest me the model keeping the price of receiver in mind , if that increases then i have to settle for lower model of speakers . And then 2nd Upgrade of speakers will be best one .

The Wharfedales are good, and you can buy them without hesitation. The 9.1s can be used as front speakers for now. Later on you can buy the 9CS center channel and two more 9.1s and a sub woofer. You will then have a full 5.1 systems. Even if you buy a 9.5 later, you can use those as front speakers and shift the 9.1 to surround tasks.

Dvd
Pioneer 600AVS is what i like on paper , please tell how is it . And does it has usb2.0 as i will be using external hdd .

The 600 is good. It does have USB 2.0 ansd 1080p upscaling. I have been using a series of Pioneer DVD players for the last 5 yeras and they have all given me good service.

Cheers

Each Genie 2 seems to be prices at 8K. Plus you have to get a sub. Cheers

Venkat,
Are you sure it's 8K each? I have a feeling it's 8K per pair. If the 9.1's are priced at 11K per pair, I don't think Sonodyne can afford to price the Genies at 8K each. But I don't have the latest prices, so wanted to make sure.
Another option; One can go for Genie IIs in the front and centre and Genie Is in the rear, to reduce costs.

regards,
Ajinkya.

I think the 1507 and 1508 at 25 odd K are overpriced. It is much better to look at 1709. ProFx officially quotes 32K for this, and I am sure it can be bargained down to 26 or 27K. At that price, it beats the 15xxs hollow.

Man tell me showrooms in Delhi where i can get a demo and d bargain also :D
I am getting Yamaha n Denon here ( Chandigarh) easily with a demo but I think i can get a better deal n price in Delhi. Any receiver under 25k plz . Cant go above that if i do i have to compromise on Pioneer Dvd player and go in for Philips .

The Wharfedales are good, and you can buy them without hesitation. The 9.1s can be used as front speakers for now. Later on you can buy the 9CS center channel and two more 9.1s and a sub woofer. You will then have a full 5.1 systems. Even if you buy a 9.5 later, you can use those as front speakers and shift the 9.1 to surround tasks.

Yea i think i will buy Wharfedale 9.1 . 90% sure:)
Still u suggest any better then this if it is same price range .

I am taking 11-12k for front speakers . If i get appreciable diff in sound on adding 2k more then i will add up .

The 600 is good. It does have USB 2.0 ansd 1080p upscaling. I have been using a series of Pioneer DVD players for the last 5 yeras and they have all given me good service.

I am getting it for 8k with bill . but i think i will wait for Philips 5996 model to be released , so it that is good i will save around 3k and use it up on speakers or may b receiver

I hope i am very clear now.

Venkat,
Are you sure it's 8K each? I have a feeling it's 8K per pair. If the 9.1's are priced at 11K per pair, I don't think Sonodyne can afford to price the Genies at 8K each. But I don't have the latest prices, so wanted to make sure.
Another option; One can go for Genie IIs in the front and centre and Genie Is in the rear, to reduce costs.
Ajinkya.

You are right. I just checked AV Max. The Genie is 3,600 each. Five of them make 18,000. Add say 15,000 for the Roarr. The total 5.1 should cost around 33,000 to 35,000.

The Genie II are 6100 each.

Cheers

Man tell me showrooms in Delhi where i can get a demo and d bargain also :D
I am getting Yamaha n Denon here ( Chandigarh) easily with a demo but I think i can get a better deal n price in Delhi. Any receiver under 25k plz . Cant go above that if i do i have to compromise on Pioneer Dvd player and go in for Philips .

Yea i think i will buy Wharfedale 9.1 . 90% sure:)
Still u suggest any better then this if it is same price range .

I am taking 11-12k for front speakers . If i get appreciable diff in sound on adding 2k more then i will add up .

I am getting it for 8k with bill . but i think i will wait for Philips 5996 model to be released , so it that is good i will save around 3k and use it up on speakers or may b receiver

I hope i am very clear now.

Buddy...

Better go in for Pioneer...
its always preffered.. over Samsung, Sony or Philips...

hi

Rates i am getting

Pioneer 600AVS 8000 wid bill
Wharfadale 9.1 Dimaond 11800(negotiable) What about 9.2 ?? marginal diff ? And its price range .
Denon 1508,1509,1708 .......... plz tell rates of this . Whats the diff btw 1508 and 1708 ? I dont see any diff in amplification . Please suggest.

Last edited:
hi

Rates i am getting

Pioneer 600AVS 8000 wid bill
Wharfadale 9.1 Dimaond 11800(negotiable) What about 9.2 ?? marginal diff ? And its price range .
Denon 1508,1509,1708 .......... plz tell rates of this . Whats the diff btw 1508 and 1708 ? I dont see any diff in amplification . Please suggest.

Buddy...

Pioneer DV-600 - Rs.8K with Bill...go for it...
Wharfedale Diamond..9.2 is better and is just a 2K more than 9.1... so go in for 9.2, as its has better quality...you should get it for Rs.13.5K to the max...
Lastly for Amplifier...
You are not even left with Rs.20K, so going in for 1708 will be way beyond your budget...
though its good, but you will have to shed out more than your budget...

So think for the same...

now, one mainstream , what you are neglecting are the cables...
Keep Rs.4-5K for your complete 5.1 Speaker Cabling or atleast Rs.1500-2000 for 2.0 Channel....

Buddy...

Pioneer DV-600 - Rs.8K with Bill...go for it...
Wharfedale Diamond..9.2 is better and is just a 2K more than 9.1... so go in for 9.2, as its has better quality...you should get it for Rs.13.5K to the max...
Lastly for Amplifier...
You are not even left with Rs.20K, so going in for 1708 will be way beyond your budget...
though its good, but you will have to shed out more than your budget...

So think for the same...

now, one mainstream , what you are neglecting are the cables...
Keep Rs.4-5K for your complete 5.1 Speaker Cabling or atleast Rs.1500-2000 for 2.0 Channel....

So which receiver u suggest around 20k ?
may be i add 2-3k more to it . That is why i was shifting to Philips DVD as that would have saved me 3-4 k . And i think i will go for Wharfadale 9.3 in my next upgrade so i will stick to 9.1 . But is dere appreciable change in 9.1 n 9.2 ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back