Help required in building my first HT setup !

Switch

Hi Guys,

After swallowing in a lot of info from the net(mainly hifi forums & Cnet reviews) I have come to a conclusion that building a HT setup is not as easy as building a PC. Also once you start earning yourself you just don't get around spending 1 Lac in one go for a HT setup. I am still confused but have realized that to build a good HT system I need to be patient and spend slowly and wisely. Second thing I have understood is that though HTiBs looks Just good on paper(Demoed Onkyo Ht S3300 and didn't like it).

Now I started with a budget of 25K for the complete HT setup but finally extended it to 50K. Also this is a budget which can either be used for a "decent" receiver + 2 good BS/FS or a HTiB setup. I would add Sub and center in next 6 months with rear and maybe side in another year. At this point of time I would also like to mention that currently this would be in my bedroom which is almost 17'x11' but would be shifted to my living area which is 24'x 14' in a year or so. Though I am a big movie fan and have almost 3 TB of HD movies in my HTPC but I would also like to "listen and enjoy" music on my HT setup. You can keep the ratio 70:30 for Movies : Music but again Music should sound good.

I have auditioned Onkyo 3300 which I didn't like or the Bose lifestyle which I loved but would never buy cause of it being 5 times by extended budget. I am considering the following:

Denon/Onkyo AVR + 2 Warf BS/FS About 45K. (Go in for Centre,Sub and rear Later)
Onkyo 308/508 or Denon 1611+ Onkyo SKS728 or Polk satallite 5.1 setup About 50K (Go in for BS/FS later for music)
Onkyo HT S5400(Same as above)

Though I have not auditioned any of the above but my heart says I should go in for the first setup I would not regret it in the long run but my mind says the third setup would be the foolproof solution. The second setup is most practical/wise option in-between option 1 and 3 and maybe be the cheapest in terms of future upgrade. The thing is that with the first setup I wont be able to enjoy the movies from the word go but with the second and third I would be enjoy the movies and compromise on music but that can be easily fulfilled on a later stage. Also with the second option I would end up having two pairs of FS and with a cheap 2 channel amp I could be able to setup a second 2.1 setup in my room when I Shift the HT setup outside or vice-versa.

Last but not the least I can extend my budget upto 60K right now but then I would like to have an awesome and complete HT setup for the movies(Music can be done later).

Looking for suggestions from you guys.

Thanks In Advance

Switch

Welcome switch.

You have initially mentioned that at 50k, you plan to go for a receiver + 2 fronts. But later you have mentioned about the 5.1 packages etc. You also have mentioned that at 60k you want complete setup.

Its a bit confusing as you can go for a full HT setup from 12k and it can easliy go beyond 10 lakhs also.

If you are spending 30k for the receiver and 20k for the fronts, you would need to add 15k for the sub (mionimum), 10k for the fronts and probably 10k for the rears in your range.

Otherwise you could go for the HITB options which you already have told you dont like. I know it can be a bit to decide if you should wait and build up the system or just go with the full setup with whatever money and enjoy the surround. The advise is to go with the former but its upon you. So please can you decide and let us know how much you wish to spend for each component. then we could suggest some products you could audition.

Actually what I meant to say was that as of now I am ready to spend 50K for the 2.0 setup with the receiver and later on add components to complete the 5.1 setup.

Also today I went for a demo. Demoed the HKTS 30 + AVR 255. Was quoted 60K for the setup. Liked the 5.1 for the movies but music sounded okeyish. Then demoed JBL Studio 190 FS along with AVR 255 and liked it but was for 70K without the sub.

Planning to do some auditions in the next few days.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back