Help with Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR & HT-SR800 speakers

maheshm07

Hi,

I have been an avid reader of this wonderful forum which has provided me some terrific and technical piece of information. Thank you all. :)
This is my first post and I start with a query. I have zeroed in on Onkyo TX-SR606 as my first choice and am trying to understand if the 7.1 speaker set (130W/ 8 ohms per channel) of HT-SR800 is suitable for the AVR.
Your technical advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mahesh

There are 1 or 2 threads currently going on with discussions on 606. That might help you with any queries on 606.

I am not sure how much SR-800 costs, but most of us will advise against buying this package. What is your budget for speakers? Depending on it, you can go for either a 2.0 speaker setup to start with and then gradually move to 5.1. If you can manage the budget, you can go for a 5.1 now.

Thanks Kumar. Yes I have been reading posts on 606.
Actually I am getting a good deal on the SR800 7.1 speaker set (under 15K) hence was wondering if these could be matched to 606 from wattage/ impedance perspective. Though earlier I had looked at a 25K-30K budget, the above deal is too good to ignore. I am not going for FS as my room size is small (15' x 12') and not much floor space is available.
Will appreciate your feedback to the above.

I made the same mistake of buying a similar 6.1 package (ignorance, low cost etc. were the drivers) and still living with it. Except the sub from this package, the rest all are not something I would really vouch for.

I would still suggest that you audition Wharfedale 9,1/9.2, PSB Alpha B1/B2 etc. 2.0 sets in your budget. Go for this SR-800 package if you are sure that you will not be spending any more budget on your setup in the medium to long term.

A honest opinion, very much appreciated. I definitely would not like to feel in future that I shouldn't have gone for it in the first place. I will go by your suggestion. Thank you.

I made the same mistake of buying a similar 6.1 package (ignorance, low cost etc. were the drivers) and still living with it. Except the sub from this package, the rest all are not something I would really vouch for.

I would still suggest that you audition Wharfedale 9,1/9.2, PSB Alpha B1/B2 etc. 2.0 sets in your budget. Go for this SR-800 package if you are sure that you will not be spending any more budget on your setup in the medium to long term.

i have a querry . After a hiatus gap of 12 years i am planning to hit the road for purchasing a HTIB my idea is to go for a good investment that i should be able to suffice for the next ten years i am looking to buy onkyo ht-990 thx or hts-6200 possibly hts-990 thx bundle it with a blue ray player PS3 80 Gb any advise from you experts is highly desirable

i have a querry . After a hiatus gap of 12 years i am planning to hit the road for purchasing a HTIB my idea is to go for a good investment that i should be able to suffice for the next ten years i am looking to buy onkyo ht-990 thx or hts-6200 possibly hts-990 thx bundle it with a blue ray player PS3 80 Gb any advise from you experts is highly desirable

If you definitely want to go for an HTIB and club a PS/3 to it and looking at next 10yrs or so, consider HTIBs where the AVR has HDMI input and could decode HD-Audio signals.

If you definitely want to go for an HTIB and club a PS/3 to it and looking at next 10yrs or so, consider HTIBs where the AVR has HDMI input and could decode HD-Audio signals.

any other suggestion from your side for buying a seperatee AV and speakers i am gettinh 990thx at Rs 59 K and hts-6200 at Rs 44K

HTS 6200 would be a right choice as It has HD-audio capability, Plus HDMI audio support.

any other suggestion from your side for buying a seperatee AV and speakers i am gettinh 990thx at Rs 59 K and hts-6200 at Rs 44K

If your budget is around 60k, you should seriously consider an AVR like the Yamaha 465 or a Denon 1610 (both decode HD-Audio) and spend the rest on speakers. Audition Q-Acoustics or Energy and buy 2.1 or 3.1 speakers and the rest later.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back