Hifi equipment protection

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Was speaking to a svs sub dealer recently and that person mentioned that a couple of sub amps got torched due to home power failures. It’s a big hassle when ur AVR or subwoofer amp blows because of power outages or fluctuations.

So I’ve decided not to take any chances anymore.

I just bought an expensive tv.

Have a decent marantz SR6009 AVR.

Will be getting a subwoofer in the 50-60k region.

To protect these items, what would ur suggestion be? I live in Mumbai and power failures are unheard of. But they do happen occasionally (unlike Delhi where u have car batteries connected to your fans and lights sitting on top of your cupboard)

Saw a couple of items on hifimart.

https://www.hifimart.com/accessorie...werbase-power-filter-and-protection-unit.html

https://www.hifimart.com/accessorie...cuda-universal-power-distribution-centre.html

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hi

I use spike guards which are used for Computers......there are lot of brands and models available which are used also professionally for big shows and all...those cost a lot....but can save your gear!

As for me ...not many power cuts.....the spike guards are hooked to a board which has its tiny MCB......so there is adequate protection

In case of any power surges or power failures, what will save my equipment?

A basic power distribution strip like Belkin has built in surge suppressor. It is usually rated as so many joules of energy. In case of a surge a component inside the strip must burn and become open. Replace with new power strip, etc.

Thanks josh. So basically nothing is required but a power distribution strip? Even for expensive items?

Thanks josh. So basically nothing is required but a power distribution strip? Even for expensive items?

Purely for surge protection a Belkin is good enough. Unless you tell the Belkin that it's driving pricey amps ;)

Thanks Prem, what are u using now? Significant upgrade to the jmv eco surge?

Thanks josh, I’m not telling belkin anything :p

I am using Environmental Potential EP 2050. I don’t know if I can call it a significant upgrade. Most surge protectors kick in only when there’s a voltage surge beyond a certain limit. But at any given time there are these minor surges which can degrade the power signal. EP 2050, apart from the big surges, also handles all minor surges too. To some extent it does a waveform correction. It’s a patented product but costs a lot more than normal surge protectors. It’s about USD 750.

The big question. Does it make a big difference to sound? The answer is no. It’s subtle. Opens up higher harmonics and makes it more dimensional. Would advise only after all other issues are sorted out. Like room, vibration control, etc

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I’m not looking to improve or change any sound characteristics. I’m only looking to protect my equipment from power failures/surges/fluctuations which may cause damage to subwoofer amp or my AVR or the tv.

So a regular spike guard will do like josh said? What if I’m watching a movie and suddenly them power goes? Will that damage the internals of the said equipment?

I’m only looking to protect my equipment from power failures/surges/fluctuations which may cause damage to subwoofer amp or my AVR or the tv.

A Belkin type power strip will not take care of power failure. You need UPS with battery backup for that. And fluctuations can be taken care by a voltage regulator.

Ok so, am I just being paranoid? Do I need any of this?

@tuff uday, if you have the Microtek, then why do u need the excise invamaster?

Ok so, am I just being paranoid? Do I need any of this?

@tuff uday, if you have the Microtek, then why do u need the excise invamaster?
The Exide is the battery that supplies power in case of outage. The inverter recharges the battery when power is restored. The area I live in used to have frequent powercuts so an Inverter that switches instantly is necessary, although power cuts are not as bad as off now.Hope that helps.

I had my equipment connected to a BARRACUDA UNIVERSAL POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTRE. After I got my TV, I literally used to get my heart in my mouth every time the power used to go off. So I got myself a Numeric LI UPS. As my apartment's got a generator which switches on in under 5 seconds, my equipment does not run on the UPS, It only prevents it from an abnormal shutdown. I don't know to what extent all this helps, but my heart now stays in its place during power shutdowns.

Was speaking to a svs sub dealer recently and that person mentioned that a couple of sub amps got torched due to home power failures. It’s a big hassle when ur AVR or subwoofer amp blows because of power outages or fluctuations.

So I’ve decided not to take any chances anymore.

I just bought an expensive tv.

Have a decent marantz SR6009 AVR.

Will be getting a subwoofer in the 50-60k region.

To protect these items, what would ur suggestion be? I live in Mumbai and power failures are unheard of. But they do happen occasionally (unlike Delhi where u have car batteries connected to your fans and lights sitting on top of your cupboard)

Saw a couple of items on hifimart.

https://www.hifimart.com/accessorie...werbase-power-filter-and-protection-unit.html

https://www.hifimart.com/accessorie...cuda-universal-power-distribution-centre.html

Any suggestions? Thank you.
The best protection will be online sine wave ups with isolation on the output side of the ups, but online ups is very costly.
LI ups may or may not be an option, all depending on what type of power supply your equipment has and whether square wave current can be fed to them or not.
So the only other option is to use a combo of servo and isolation, with delay start.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back