High cost Belkin V/s Mid cost power strip for surge /spikes protection

roseboy24

Dear friends,

Based on my finding which i have done some project for ESD and surge protection for some Data and power line equipment /Telecom Related , wanted to share my finding.
Belikin power strip So called Gold series and costing 1500+ Rs (MRP 2000 RS ) I polished the rail things with brasso, and cut out the PCB, removing its components for later use, I just bypassed anything that used to be inside, wiring the rail things directly.
-The impovement was shocking, as I expected none to little, but the increase in dynamics and solidity, particularly in bass was excellent. I attribute this mostly to there being a silly 0.5R fuse in the path.

Later, I removed the wire, as I was using an extension to reach it. So I replaced it all with a long piece of hand braided (very) high current wire. Again, an increase in solidity and dynamics was had, and distortion went down, and the noise floor etc all seemed to improve too.
his Belkin had a PCB with 6 varistors, a very small 'x' cap acroos L+N - this is the good part. The bad part is power goes through (quite thick) PCB tracks, and a fuse................:eek:

Iam attaching low cost power strip where you can seen the TVS is for 3KV ~4 KV okay...why there is no varistor because that parts only need when we will have Data line protection and varistor limit 10KV for Data line ESD protection ..for power line we operating in 220 v so we need to put TVS Varistor 350V TVS or 470V TVS thats means when voltage come up to 470 V then the TVS will start protection if we put 600 v varistor then voltage protection start on 600 V and protection Tolerance is 20 % :yahoo:
so when spikes and surge came from power source ....fuse will be first parts which burnt ...TVS Varistor start working after 20 % buffer limit of 470 V ....it will be cut the voltage to device .

if anybody interested i will share my Surge and ESD protection video which I done for overseas project .

so based on my finding ... people can use low cost power strip and put 470 Varistor /TVS diode and small fuse and that will act like expensive power strip for power line ..if need data line protection then you will need ESD protection diode .as well .

here is clarification

Insufficient lightning protection for electronic equipment
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::)

Attachments

• IMG01048-20110110-2210.jpg
    IMG01048-20110110-2210.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG01051-20110110-2326.jpg
    IMG01051-20110110-2326.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG01049-20110110-2210.jpg
    IMG01049-20110110-2210.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 194
so are you saying belkin gold series is not good enough or are you saying that with modifications it can be better ?

Where can i get modifications done...?

Thanks for sharing this!
should these be inserted in the mains for protection of entire house? Need to understand how to test this stuff easily.

It is very simple method .... go to any electrnic shop and asked diode 370 or 470v Varisator .....then buy any power strip ....and solder like the post i have shown simple , only 1 pcs enough hardlt cost you 10~20 rs .

Thanks. Where in delhi can u buy this diode? I went to a few shops but they had no idea what I was talking about. Everyone asked for a sample. Can this be bought online? Do the mx powers trips come with this per installed?

You can ask any of the electronic part suppliers yes nowadays good compony like havells and all installing same surge diode .

Hi Rajesh
Kindly share video and pics and let us know how you generated ESD/ Surge
And whats maximum kVA protection .

We have done lots similar test in out taiwan lab will share my finding soon , which we give maximum protection of more then 6 kVA

Thanks

Vicks

The gold series has a insurance of 1 lac in case of damage. Have you tested your strip for surges due to lightening strikes.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back