High Definition CRT Television

HD CRT TV is an excellent choice over LCD. I dont know but I find the color and sharpness of even a standard defination CRT TV much better than HD LCDs.

Amazon.com: Samsung TXS3082WH 30" Wide Slimfit HDTV: Electronics

Amazon does not have this in stock. One used piece is available from a third party seller.

I think Sansui had come out with a 100 Hz scan TV many years back. So the best bet would be to look for a used one only. No manufacturer seems to be really interested in putting out HD CRT's.

Yeah, Deba .... me too noticed that.

My 29" CRT gives off better 'everything' when comparing to LCDs, though loses out to Plasmas, but only by juuust. Plasma selection is now on a bit of turmoil .... so, am waiting till A verdict is out in the open.

Philips, Samsung and Sony used to sell HD CRTs in India, but a couple of years back they phased them out to push the sales of the flat panel displays. At the moment there are no companies selling HD CRTs in India, but you could get one of the used ones from Philips, Samsung or Sony, if you look around.

HD = 1,920x1,080 Pixels ( at whatever Hz)

Which brand sold CRT TV's at this resolution in India ? :eek:

I have only seen computer displays with such resolutions !

I have a basic question, Maybe dumb..

CRTs being analog, how do they measure if they are 1920*1080 etc which are digital measurements?

I have a basic question, Maybe dumb..

CRTs being analog, how do they measure if they are 1920*1080 etc which are digital measurements?

I think 1920x1080 is the count of pixels on the phosphor screen. it has nothing to do with analog or digital. If the CRT is coated with the number of pixels and designed to - it will display.

Am I right?

Regards

Philips actually sold a TV with a display resolution of 1080p, but limited to accepting 1080i/720p because it didn't have HDMI or DVI, only component. It also had 100hz scanning so it was popularly known as the 100hz TV :)

I think 1920x1080 is the count of pixels on the phosphor screen. it has nothing to do with analog or digital. If the CRT is coated with the number of pixels and designed to - it will display.

Am I right?

Regards

Thats true. In fact like CRT, LCD and plasama's are analog too (current/ voltage are analog). Untill the last decade CRT were reffered to have 480 lines of picture resolution.

I have seen this CRT HDTV Sony 29 inches in sony world in 2005. It was just awesome. The picture was crystal clear compared to other 29 sony models.
That time my friend purchaed a normal TV due to double price. (51K vs 29K)
Till now he is regretting himself for his forced choice because of 'M' factor.

Couple of days back I searched a lot n lot for CRT HD TV (used) thorugh net & local suppliers for myself. But in vain. I found that many local shops are not even awere of this 100Hz TV. Couple of net serches got me some philips used TVs quoted around 22K. But was not sure about any problems or they were not reachable through different cities. Couple of more money can bring brand new 42" plasma. So I lost my hopes.

If I found anything quality used I am still intrested.:)

Last edited:
I have seen this CRT HDTV Sony 29 inches in sony world in 2005. It was just awesome. The picture was cristal clear compared to other 29 sony models.
That time my friend purchaed a normal TV due to double price. (61K vs 29K)

Couple of days back I searched a lot n lot for CRT HD TV (used) thorugh net & local suppliers for myself. But in vain. I found that many local shops are not even awere of this 100Hz TV. Couple of net serches got me some philips used TVs quoted around 22K. But was not sure about any problems or they were not reachable through different cities. Couple of more money can bring brand new 42" plasma. So I lost my hopes.

What was the Sony HDCRT model? You know what? I think I may have lost interest in watching movies precisely because the quality I hve been noticing on LCDs was poor and unconsciously gravitated away!! Not being a major viewer in any case I strongly suspect this influenced my weaning off :)

Regards

Well, I do not remember the exact model. But it had some DRC-MF circuit if I spell correctly. Because it written in BOLD letters on features list on the info panel near the TV.

I have seen this CRT HDTV Sony 29 inches in sony world in 2005. It was just awesome. The picture was cristal clear compared to other 29 sony models.
That time my friend purchaed a normal TV due to double price. (61K vs 29K)

Well that would be the KLV-DR29M63/80 better then the KLV-DB29M80 launched in 2006,used to cost 36k in the grey market.

Last edited:
I had planned to buy T (tau) GIGA panasonic model some years back
I had a viewed it in the panasonic brand shop in Koramangala, Bangalore. This model was having awesome PQ(flicker free) and lots of I/O.
But by the time I went (that was like 4 months later) they had stopped selling it. Price quoted at that time was 30K and on exchange for my earlier 29" inch price was 20K.

LCD and Plasmas are fixed resolution displays right?

That's true.

I understand scan lines are associated only with CRTs?

Not all CRT. For example, the computer monitor(CRT) has fixed native resolution: 1024x768 or 640x480(older ones). But the conventional TV don't have discrete pixels. The high end CRT TV, those available during 2005, did have pixels and fixed resolution.

How are LCDs and Plasmas analog?
Yes plasma/lcd are discrete displays in the sense they have pixels.
I meant all displays are analog in the sense that they driven by current/voltage which are analog.(This may be out of context here, ignore this.)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back