Hindi Film Songs Lyrics - My Liking

Or simply because both had music by 'Khayyam' and both were released within a span of one year.

Probably!Recording studio's don't go for artistic pairings.They pair for more prosaic and practical reasons.
...and both had my favorite actor Naseer....
Incidentally Naseeruddin Shah won Filmfare Best Actor awards in '81,'82,'84 for Aakrosh,Sparsh,Masoom and after that the 'mandarins' at Filmfare decided that he was only fit for best villain/best supporting actor nominations!

Yeah!:)
Now let's try to find the 'diamonds' in the coal mine called B'wood!
Here's one which is pretty much flawless....color,clarity,cut and carats....
Oh Ajay

You got me really nostalgic. I remember, I was studying Intermediate (11th & 12th) & we bunked college & went across the road to watch the film):lol:

Probably!Recording studio's don't go for artistic pairings.They pair for more prosaic and practical reasons.
...and both had my favorite actor Naseer....
Incidentally Naseeruddin Shah won Filmfare Best Actor awards in '81,'82,'84 for Aakrosh,Sparsh,Masoom and after that the 'mandarins' at Filmfare decided that he was only fit for best villain/best supporting actor nominations!

Awards in India do not have much value anyways. Even National awards sometimes are very strange.
But I guess they used to be fair back in 80s for giving Naseer bhai the awards. The range of movies he and even Om Puri has done is just amazing.
Some of my other favourites are Amrish Puri, Anupam Kher, Paresh Rawal(not lately), Amol Palekar,etc.

Awards in India do not have much value anyways. Even National awards sometimes are very strange.
But I guess they used to be fair back in 80s for giving Naseer bhai the awards. The range of movies he and even Om Puri has done is just amazing.
Some of my other favourites are Amrish Puri, Anupam Kher, Paresh Rawal(not lately), Amol Palekar,etc.

Amol Palekar in Spandan/Golmal,Om Puri in Aakrosh/Ardh Satya,Smita in Bazaar/Bhumika/Mandi/Chakra/Mirch Masala,Shabana in Masoom/Mandi/Paar/Pestonjee/Ankur/Sparsh,
Naseer in Nishant/Bhumika/Manthan/Sparsh/Aakrosh/Chakra/Pestonjee/Paar/Bazaar/Masoom/Jaane Bhi Do Yaro/Sir/Sarfarosh/Maqbool/Iqbal/3 Deewarein/Parzania/A Wednesday/Ishqiya....

Last edited:
Good that this thread is now focusing on notable song lyrics.

Ajay - I understand that different people will like different things. Not an issue.

As far as songs that have nice lyrics go, have people listened to 'Khoya Khoya Chaand' from a movie of the same name? This is a relatively recent one featuring Pataudi's daughter (forgot her name). Also Hazaaron Khwahishen Aisi has some nice songs too. Baanwra Man Dekhe Chalaa Ik Sapna...

Movie- Refugee

Panchi Nadiyan pawan ke jhokhe

Koi sarhad na inhe roke

Sarhaden hoti hain insanoon ke liyo

Tum hi batayo kya paaye humne Insaan hoke.

Movie- Swades

Song- Pal pal hai bhari

Ram hi to karuna mein hai shaanti mein Ram hai

Ram hi hai ekta mein pragti mein Ram hai

Ram bas bhakton nahi Shatru ke bhi chintan mein hai

Dekh taj ke paap Ravan Ram tere man mein hai.

Movie- Swades

Song- Yeh jo desh hai tera

Yeh jo desh hai tera swades hai tera

Yeh woh bandhan hai jo kabhi choot nahi sakta.

Mitti ki jo khushboo, tu kaise bhoolaayega

Tu chaahe kahin jaaye, tu laut ke aayega.

Movie- Refugee

Panchi Nadiyan pawan ke jhokhe

Koi sarhad na inhe roke

Sarhaden hoti hain insanoon ke liyo

Tum hi batayo kya paaye humne Insaan hoke.

Pathetic joke

Regiment was fighting hard on the border against the enemies....
They had to cross the border to capture the enemy base....
but no one was able to cross the border and go across fearing death.
Just then Hawaldar Pawan Kumar Jhonke ...got up and crossed the border.....and nothing happened to him.
Why??

Kyon ki Panchi Nadiya PAWAN K JHONKE... Koi Sarhad na Inhe roke..

Original Poster,
Please come back!All is forgiven.:)
When are we getting GAANA NUMBER DO?
DDLJ?KKKG?KHNH?KKHH?HDDCS?HAHK?

@sanchit- its not that ur love is special...... when u r in love u feel u are special. i seriously doubt that \can ever happen after u grow past 16-17 yrs.
n the lyrics were hum tum dono jab mil jayenge from kamal hassan movie.
@ajay- please watch 'saudagar'. its a world cinema entry... and deserves place right uup there with most classics.... and yes... it doesn t stars dilip kumar saab or vivek mushran manisha koirala.... it stars nutan.
and amitabh bachchan.
kabhi kabhi was a famous nazm whose lyrics were tooo much twisted to b adaptable for a yashji movie.
the original nazm begins... kabhi kabhi..ata hai,
k zindagi teri narm zulfon k saaye me guzarn;e paati to shadaab ho bhi sakti thi,
ye teergii jo meri zeest ka muqaddar hai,
teri nazar ki shuaon me kho bhi sakti thi....etc etc. few lines were in the aby-baby version .
the lyrics were adapted to have a mass appeal and yes it did that.
@ajay*2- dikhai diye yun is a ghazal by meer taqii meer adapted with less than 10% changes in original lyrics. analysing its lyrical genius is pointless in this thread..... akin to saying.. jagjit sang too great things lyrically for a tv series in early 90s starring naseerjii and titled mirza ghalib:)
cant stop myself from describing one sher.. i guess this d call for appreciation-
"parastish kii yaan tak ke ai but tujhe,
nazar me sabon ki khuda kar chale"(ai 'but' teri pooja hamne is had tak kii ki poora zamana tujhko khuda samajhne laga.....
'but' is also a pointer to haseena/beloved for a very interesting reason,- typically islam lamented 'but'(idol) ki pooja. it also ridiculed shayars who in their works give god-level praises to the beloved. hence idols and beloveds are interchangaebly referred to as 'but' in shayaris)
@sanjay - i m waiting for the gulal version of sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamare dil me hai.- "o re bismil(ramprasad bismil, the original writer and a shaheed,) kaash aate aaj tum hindostaan....... chaddi apni ab to silti inglishon ki mil me hai"
i must say, many english lyrics are similarly meaningless. but as junior bachchan says nowadays- baat karne k liye bhasha ki zarurat nahi hoti... same goes with involving music.
as fdar as movies from abroad are concerned, what trickles down here is usually too good/too much recommended or too famous work which is of much better quality even for the standards of parent nations cinema... hence for every kurosawa u d have many a avg-below avg movie makers from japan.
its just that here in india, we are exposed to the mediocre works of bollywood much more.
the original poster- if happens to be from venus as the name suggests, and is having more than passing interest in hifis, wud make some hifi lover eternally happy by suggesting an upgrade every few months.:p
rao, thisa ones for you-
le roi est mort, vive le rao!!!

The lyrics of songs from the 50s through to the 80s are always my favourite. Through the number of songs that I like is too numerous, a few stand out. One is from the film Rajkumar and sung by Mohd. Rafi. Unfortunately this song was not used by Shammi Kapoor well as the song is a bit too serious for that joker.

is ra.ng badalatii duniyaa me.n
inasaan kii niiyat Thiik nahii.n
nikalaa na karo tum saj-dhajakar
iimaan kii niiyat Thiik nahii.n, is...

The complete lyrics are available at Hindi Songs Archive.

Rafi has, of course, rendered the song superbly. In the last para, when he says he does not trust even god, there is a kind of reverence in his voice, asking for forgiveness.

mai.n kaise khudaa haafiz kah duu.N
mujhako to kisii kaa yakiin nahii.n
chhup jaao hamaarii aa.Nkho.n me.n
bhagavaan kii niiyat Thiik nahii.n, is..

Another song that I simply adore is a rare duet from the film Sushila sung by Talat Mehmood and Mohd. Rafi. Talat sings the sad and depressed past, while Rafi sings the happy and encouraging part. The way the singers have modulated their voices to project the happiness and sadness is to be heard to be believed.

rafii: Gam kii a.ndherii raat me.n
dil ko nA beqaraar kar
subah zaruur aayegii
subah kA intazaar kar
Gam kii a.ndherI raat me.n

talat: dard hai saarii zindagI
jisakaa koI silaa nahii.n
dil ko fareb dIjiye
aur ye hausalaa nahii.n - 2

rafii: khud se to badaGumaa.N nA ho
khud pe to aitabaar kar
subah zaruur aayegii
subah kA intazaar kar
Gam kii andherI raat me.n

talat: khud hii ta.Dap ke rah gaye
dil ki sadaa se kyaa milaa
aag se khelate rahe
ham ko vafaa se kyaa milaa - 2

rafii: dil kI lagii bujhaa nA de
dil kI lagii se pyaar kar
subah zaruur aayegii
subah kA intazaar kar

Gam kii a.ndherI raat me.n ...

You can listen to the song here. YouTube - gam ki andheri raat mein..mohd rafi and talat mehmood

Cheers

@sanjay - i m waiting for the gulal version of sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamare dil me hai.- "o re bismil(ramprasad bismil, the original writer and a shaheed,) kaash aate aaj tum hindostaan....... chaddi apni ab to silti inglishon ki mil me hai"
Movie: Gulaal (2009)
Song: Sarfaroshi Ki Tamannaa (Unfortunately this is not included on the CD)
Singer: Piyush Mishra
Music: Piyush Mishra
Lyrics: Piyush Mishra

Sarfaroshi ki tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai...
Dekhna hai zor kitna baazueye kaatil mein hai...
Waqt aane pe bata denge tujhe aye aasmaan.
Hum abhi se kya bataayein kya hamare dil mein hai...
Waqt aane pe bata denge tujhe aye aasmaan..
o re 'Bismil' kaash aate aaj tum hindustaan
dekhte ki mulk saaraa yun Tashan mein, thrill mein hai...
aaj ka laundaa ye kehtaa hum to 'Bismil' thak gaye
apni aazaadi to bhaiyyaa laundiyaa ke til mein hai...
aaj ke jalson mein 'Bismil' ek goongaa gaa rahaa
aur baiharon kaa vo relaa naachtaa mehfil mein hai...
haath ki khaadi banaane kaa zamaanaa lad gayaa
aaj to chaddi bhi silti englishon ki mill mein hai

Waqt aane pe bata denge tujhe aye aasmaan
Sarfaroshi ki tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai......

I wonder, is it really fair, that one man, Mr. Piyush Mishra, should possess so much talent. Actor, Director, Dialogue writer, Story, Script & screenplay writer, Singer, Lyric writer, Music director, Sculptor, Painter..... But then again nature balanced it out by giving him birth in India, where such talent is rarely recognized and thus allowed to just waste away. All this while the kings of mediocrity reign over bollywood.

Last edited:
@sanchit- its not that ur love is special...... when u r in love u feel u are special. i seriously doubt that \can ever happen after u grow past 16-17 yrs.

1.) Do you know my age in the 1st place?

2.) When people are in love they feel special. Accepted. But as the lyrics of the song suggest they would create HISTORY and history is created when world recognises an event.

So IMO people have all the right to feel special about themselves but thinking all world will recognise their love as special is a no go.

Good that this thread is now focusing on notable song lyrics.

Ajay - I understand that different people will like different things. Not an issue.

As far as songs that have nice lyrics go, have people listened to 'Khoya Khoya Chaand' from a movie of the same name? This is a relatively recent one featuring Pataudi's daughter (forgot her name). Also Hazaaron Khwahishen Aisi has some nice songs too. Baanwra Man Dekhe Chalaa Ik Sapna...

Both films are by Sudhir Mishra.Many years ago,he made another wonderful film 'Yeh Woh Manzil Toh Nahin' starring Manohar Singh,Habib Tanvir,BM Shah,Naseerudin Shah,,Pankaj Kapur..a cast that reads like the who's who of Indian Theater.
Incidentally,Ravi Baswani in Jaane Bhi Do Yaro was named Sudhir Mishra. Naseer was Vinod Chopra and Vidhu Vinod Chopra played the role of Dushasana.

1.) Do you know my age in the 1st place?
plz dont take my views as an assault on ur intelligence. we r both correct in what we r saying... just the point of views are different and i just told u one more way of looking at the song.
[/QUOTE]

2.) But as the lyrics of the song suggest they would create HISTORY and history is created when world recognises an event.
well, u feel the most special person in this world when.. u r in that phase. of course if u r that special ur cough can kill 300 people.(yes that happened for real. ask me how.) ur meeting ur beloved wud be a soloman-sheeba meeting worthy of a mention in the best seller book of all time. so what if its just ur opinion and no one else agrees with u. after all jab film me maa lori gaati hai... to wo, ya lyricist ya director poori audience ko thode hi sulana chahta hai. ::yahoo::

So IMO people have all the right to feel special about themselves but thinking all world will recognise their love as special is a no go.
so was di caprio really the king of the world when he cried so aboard titanic??? did u agree with him?? how can one man declare himself king of whole world. eh?
@ sanjay ... thanx man.. u made my day... sarfaroshi ki tamanna aaj subah se hi mere dil me aa gayi hai.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back