Hindustani Classical Music

HCL Music

I found this app today in the App Store. Downloaded and it looks good. The collection is decent - HCL’s own concerts as well as many other well-known albums/series of stalwarts from Hindustani (main focus) and Carnatic. Well organised by themes. And all you need to access is a free login. I don’t know what’s the bit rate, but sounds good. The app has a bit of lag going from one page to next which is a small peeve.

HCL Music

I found this app today in the App Store. Downloaded and it looks good. The collection is decent - HCL’s own concerts as well as many other well-known albums/series of stalwarts from Hindustani (main focus) and Carnatic. Well organised by themes. And all you need to access is a free login. I don’t know what’s the bit rate, but sounds good. The app has a bit of lag going from one page to next which is a small peeve.

The app is there on Android too. They are on YT and their own website too.

An opportunity to watch this documentary on Indian classical music for the next one week:

There’s a lot of exciting content (both a Indian and western classical) on Royal Opera House’s YT channel above. Do explore their videos section.

www.Ragya.com is a wonderful way to enjoy Hindustani classical music. It plays ragas based on the time of the day, all day.

View attachment 65635
Thanks. I subscribed at 720 for the year. Decent collection grouped by categories like time of day, Raaga, and instruments. I think it is worth supporting such initiatives that help Indian music. Looking forward to an enhanced collection and an entry into Carnatic as well.

Good find, added to my watchlist. Mani Kaul was a radical film maker whose works feel like poetry. I quite enjoyed his docudrama ‘Siddheshwari’ on the legendary thumri singer from Benares which I wrote about earlier:

Post in thread 'Musical Documentaries - Insights into musicians, their lives and their music'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...heir-lives-and-their-music.90410/post-1012454

A film on india's oldest musical style.
Small correction… you mean ‘India’s oldest classical music style’ as folk music would predate everything else.

Nice! Any idea on the collection they have? For premium it says 1000+ hours only.
Yes, it’s quite limited, though they keep adding all the time. It’s a startup effort by some music-loving youngsters who are quite passionate. I wa subscribed for a year during which I used to frequently listen to it. But eventually the limited collection meant I haven’t renewed yet. But I want them to be successful and grow.

For those interested in classical music from the other side of the border, check out the Saarey Music app. Their subscription is costlier though.

thanks for the video will watch later.
I think dhrupad predates north indian classical influenced by mughal era. They are usually without words (Only swaras ) and composition are long. Not everyones cup of tea. But they are purest form of indian classical as per my thinking. Where as Thumaris loosely based on ragas can be popular and liked be common people.
regards

Rajshekhar Mansur private performance at someones home. LINK If one knows the ragas/trained performances they move to tears as seen.

Audiophile recordings ? whats that ? Forget Water lily acoustics...Direct to disc...Telracs or blue notes ......You will not even find any LPs, Cassettes, CDs of the Rajshekhar Mansur.☹️
regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back