Hollywood Movies to look forward to : 2011 - 2012

sam9s

I am starting this thread to discuess, upcoming Hollywood movies in 2011/2012, that seems worth a mention. I will start with 4, 5 and keep adding more as and when I have informaton, mean time if the movie buffs here find any movie that they want to include/discuess, they are more then welcome ..........

Here we go ....

PS :: Just for the record most of the information is gathered from IMDB. I Just have done the collation part.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

piratesofthecaribbean4o.jpg

PLOT : Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past (Cruz), and he's not sure if it's love -- or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.

Director : Rob Marshall

Release Date : 20 May 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : Well jack sparrow is back again, for the fans of Pirates of the Caribbean, what more would they want, with all of the installments of POC, being a blockbuster, hopes from this one are high as well. Eagerly waiting

2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

darkmoonposter.jpg

PLOT : The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the Moon, and race against the Decepticons to reach it and learn its secrets, which could turn the tide in the Transformers' final battle.

Director : Michael Bay

Release Date : July 2011 (India) (USA)

Personal Note : There were loves and haters for this movie, and less those who were somewhere in the middle, I for one belong to the former group, just loved the action detail and the cheezy comedy too. Dark Moon is one of the most anticipated movie of 2011.

3. The Mechanic

themechanicmovie1.jpg

PLOT : Follows an elite hit man as he teaches his trade to an apprentice who has a connection to one of his previous victims.

Director : Simon West

Release Date : 28 January 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : I love Jason Statham, Mechanic seems to offer nothing new but I am hoping the execution is different. Definitely worth a wait.

4. Battle: Los Angeles

battlelosangelesposter2.jpg

PLOT : A Marine platoon faces off against an alien invasion in Los Angeles

Director : Jonathan Liebesman

Release Date : 18 March 2011 (India)

Personal Note : Well no movie with this theme has touched the success and appreciation since District 9. Battle LA seems to have the right ingredients, let hope that we have a quality alien invasion movie.

5. Cowboys & Aliens

comboysandaliensintlpos.jpg

PLOT : A spaceship arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region. A posse of cowboys are all that stand in their way

Director : Jon Favreau (IRON MAN Fame)

Release Date : 19 August 2011 (India)

Personal Note : With Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford as the star cast and Favreau the IRON MAN director, C&A has become one of the most anticipated movie of 2011. The premises is interesting, just need see how the execution is. My personal fav of 2011.

===============

More to Come ........ Soon :)

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Really, bewildering people are still enthused about this franchise. I stopped watching ages ago.

2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
3. The Mechanic

Really don't have any hope with Simon West.

The Favreau film seems to have a really stupid plot and I am not counting on it to deliver. The only decent movie he has made is Iron Man. Don't think Iron Man 2 was particularly good. There were such disasters like Zathura before that.

I am always amazed the kinds of stupid films a lot of people are attracted to. No wonder Tees Maar Khan is making a lot of money.

I loved POC, every single installment, just for the pure entertainment factor and Depps performance ...... same goes with Transformers series , yea the comedy was cheezy, punch lines were rugged, but its a total Home Theater movie, you simply just can not neglect the level of action effects this movie has ........

On the serious note, Iron Man 1 was awsome, and I am looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens ....... there is no stupid plot, just stupid presentation/execution/performance ....... Anyway adding one more and this one might just downright be the best movie of 2011 ...

6. 127 Hours

127hoursmovieposter.jpg

PLOT : 127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary,

Director : Danny Boyle

Release Date : 7 January 2011

Personal Note : This definitely seems to be one of the top contenders for the best movie of 2011. Plot is based on a true story and by the few premiere reviews, we sure can expect a gripping movie to look forward to...

I loved POC, every single installment, just for the pure entertainment factor and Depps performance ...... same goes with Transformers series , yea the comedy was cheezy, punch lines were rugged, but its a total Home Theater movie, you simply just can not neglect the level of action effects this movie has ........

The first POC was ok. After that, it was not very good imo.

there is no stupid plot, just stupid presentation/execution/performance

Plot, story and script and essential parts of a movie. You just can't ignore stuff like this.

127 Hours is is 2010 film. I hope it is a good film though. It was pepped up a lot a few months back but has lost a lot of steam in the Oscar race since then. There is even an outside chance it may not be nominated for the best film for the Oscars. It is a film I might watch but I am not 100% decided I will yet. Looks good though.

Sam, my issue is I need to like the actors quite a lot for me to enjoy a movie. I have yet to find any new actor I can sync with. Some of my favourite old timers were Matthew McConaughey, Sean Connery, Mark Wahlberg, Colin Farrel, Jet Li, Pierce Brosnan....

Among the young actors I somewhat like Chris Pine and Sam Worthington. It maybe because I like their movies so much. I have yet to find other actors I can sync with.

Cheers

127 Hours released in Nov, 5-Nov if I am correct.

Hey Pratters - I requested info on one of the other threads - where did you see Black Swan? It's not released in India yet.

I would add...

7. The Dark Knight Rises

the_dark_knight_rises_wallpaper_1.jpg

Last edited:
Plot, story and script and essential parts of a movie. You just can't ignore stuff like this.

Yes you are right, what I meant was there are movies with too simple and repeated plots, but just the excellent execution and presentation makes them worth and stand apart............. but the plot describes just the out line, the script and more so the screenplay are more essentials parts of a movie ......

@Shaiju .... thats a worth addition ..... thank you

Last edited:
Sam, my issue is I need to like the actors quite a lot for me to enjoy a movie. I have yet to find any new actor I can sync with. Some of my favourite old timers were Matthew McConaughey, Sean Connery, Mark Wahlberg, Colin Farrel, Jet Li, Pierce Brosnan....

Among the young actors I somewhat like Chris Pine and Sam Worthington. It maybe because I like their movies so much. I have yet to find other actors I can sync with.

Cheers

Oh wow! Venkat, that list matches mine except for Jet Li...

Even Eric Bana is a delight to watch.

Cheers

I am more director specific than actor specific. Also, I don't like the star aspect in Indian films at all. Star draw is there in all industries but it is hugely so in bollywood.

But any ways, every one is entitled to his opinion. I can't say I am totally without star aspect. for instance, if there is a Meryl Streep or Philip Seymour Hoffman or Kate Winslet film, even if it is getting decent reviews, I might see it.

You seem to like more action stars. Mark Walhberg is at the top of his game right now. You might want to check out The Fighter in the future which is getting great reviews. Farrell - Ondine recieved mixed reviews but some people liked it a lot. You might want to check that out. You are right though. There are very few action stars emerging nowadays. You do not see out and out action films being huge any more. You need more layers now.

Hey Pratters - I requested info on one of the other threads - where did you see Black Swan? It's not released in India yet.

During the awards season, Screeners of the movies in contention are given to the people who vote in these awards. This means that many a time, these movies are available even before they are released.

Yes you are right, what I meant was there are movies with too simple and repeated plots, but just the excellent execution and presentation makes them worth and stand apart............. but the plot describes just the out line, the script and more so the screenplay are more essentials parts of a movie ......

The plot is not the most important part of a film in the case of stuff like action films but if the plot is weak, a lot of the times, it can fall apart. So while you don't need a very layered plot, a plot has to be there in my mind. I think you would agree and let's end it at that. :)

Rajesh Khanna was branded the first "superstar". Since then the journal-coined term has remained in Hindi fillum industry (not Bollywood then). This found a mentioned in last KwK episode with AB as the guest.
My friend's dad was a well-known choreographer then. It is fun when he shares his brush with filmdom in his very early childhood.

Last edited:
127 Hours is releasing in India on January 28th BTW. That's the good thing which has happened because of Slumdog I guess. Now we will get Danny Boyle films in theatres!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back