Home theater in a budget of 2L give or take

For a compelling HT experience, you need MORE speakers than LARGE speakers... by more, i mean you should go beyond 5.1 setup....

You said Electronics takes back seat & priority over speakers.... From my recent experience of using two modern AVR's Onkyo TX NR 818 & Onkyo TX NR 626, i would give equal importance to AVR's too... Infact i would give more priority to AVR than Speakers...

You have a very good budget.... I would suggest top of the line AVR's from Marantz SR 7008 (9.2), Onkyo TX NR 1010 (7.2), Onkyo TX NR 929 (or) suggest you to consider any AVR with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 digital room correction equipped.... My Onkyo 818 has this & know how it can transform a movie watching experience

Yes speakers from same series/family would be good.....Consider BS from the brands that you listed

Thank you Nero9 for asking and sorry for the late reply.
Iam doing few auditions but the speakers I was looking for are nowhere in demo here :sad:.
Mean while I placed order for Onkyo TX-NR737 which might be reaching me in 2 weeks from now :yahoo:. Though not a fan of Onkyo, no other company is going to launch their line up equipped with Dolby Atmos sooner.Even later too all are launching Atmos in top of the line AVRs. So I had no choice but to go for Onkyo as iam betting big on Atmos. Also HDMI 2.0 equipped. Iam buying this with B&W. On the brighter side, I can carry my AVR for auditioning and check out how the speakes sound when paired :eek:hyeah:.

I am thinking of Dalis. Onkyos being brighter should pair up well with Dalis which are little laid back to bring out neutral sound. Please suggest how well Onkyo and Dali pair up.

I spoke with Mr.Rajendran of Vertex servo stabilizers and he responded well to my reference of our forum & fellow FM Raghav. Now iam in a fix. Is 2KV suffice or should I go for 5KV keeping in mind that I would go for a dedicated HT room down the line. The difference in pricing between them is Rs.3K. Kindly someone throw light on this.

Please advise....
1) Is 2KV servo stabilizer suffice for a dedicated HT room with projector and future needs or should I go for 5KV? And the quote from vertex to our FMs is for single phase stab. Should this be a concern and look for 3phase??
2)Onkyo + Wharfdale 100 5.1 package or
Onkyo + BA A360 5.1 package or
Onkyo + Dali Zensor 7 5.1 package
Which of these combo sounds better?
Thinking of 5.1 packages as speakers from same series and brand integrate well.

Everyone out there...please give inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Please advise....
1) Is 2KV servo stabilizer suffice for a dedicated HT room with projector and future needs or should I go for 5KV? And the quote from vertex to our FMs is for single phase stab. Should this be a concern and look for 3phase??

I have been using a single phase 2kva vertex for both stereo & HT for the past 7 years. It has been working great.
Cheers,
Sid

Please suggest....is a single phase 2KV servo stabilizer suffice for a full pledged dedicated HT room or should I invest in 3phase 5KV? Iam in a fix. Waiting for your suggestions about 3phase sab to place order. Thank you.

If you are looking to use the stab only for the AV, you will be using wall socket in one phase only. How will you use a 3 phase stab? 2 Kv single phase is more than enough.

dali or wharf sound good for speaker choice

how much did you get the 737 for?

i plan to build similar way

Last edited:
dali or wharf sound good for speaker choice

how much did you get the 737 for?

i plan to build similar way

Its Rs.60K with B&W. I was told this will be the first atmos avr in hyd (someone might have imported!). So I dont have anyone here to compare if I over paid :sad:!!

@BOSS8055 Congrats! on your intelligent purchase :clapping:

thanks for the price info...should be alright as 7 series is around 50 plus anyway

so i guess it was worth paying for the atmos & hdmi 2.0 if it has that
features are quite important when buying avr

kudos! :thumbsup:

Hi,

The reason this thread is being updated so late is work, and the fact that the Zensor 3 were not in stock at Vipul Audio. That's what we started with. It just did not work for me. I had all but thanked him and left to go get the 686 when Pravin suggested listening to the z5. I was not interested in a floor stander from somewhere mid thread, but said WTH let's listen.

The first track on my audition list was Radha Kaise na jale. 21 seconds into the track, when that big drum sounded I was glad I did. Paradise city sounded good. And by when Amy Winehouse sang "You don't like players ..." I was completely hooked.

I have no idea if it is 2x better than the concept 2020. All I know is that I loved the sound of the z5 and had to have it. Should be delivered sometime next week. I love the speakers but sharing 3a berth no 62 would be pushing it :) I am only carrying 4m 14 gauge wire and 8 banana plugs with me. The wait is still going to kill me ;P

Will they sound good in my room ? No idea. Went off to the inventory on luz church road to see their room treatment panels. Had a nice chat with Tanseer. The material they use is non itchy. The covers are user configurable. I don't see the wife letting me have them in our living/ listening room. The far bigger problem is the shipping. the volume weight funda makes it horribly expensive. So no card flashing happened.

I am really glad I made the trip to Chennai on my speaker quest. Hyderabad positively sucks and is in some medieval dark past when it comes to options, attitudes and listening conditions in the audio stores. This was such a far cry from standing in the middle of a traffic island and listening to music bouncing off acres of glass, or the frosty we don't do auditions, order karo ya phoot le. The people I spoke to actually knew their stuff.

Now for some pongal vadai and authentic coconut chutney before I board the train back to base

ciao
gr

I happen to audition Zensor 7 in Hyderabad but it was hooked up with a Harman-Kardon AVR (WTH!!!) :sad:. They sounded ok when played in stereo mode. Nothing like "swept my feet off" kinda thing. They sounded tight but definitely not musical. This is why probably fellow FMs insist on hooking up with our own AVR when auditioning speakers. JBL surrounds dominated the whole atmosphere in 5.1 listening. Probably will audition again with my AVR which is yet to be received. It cant go wrong with Z7 right?.....probably HK AVR is the culprit :indifferent14:.

I too agree with Sound_cycle regarding the attitude of the people who sell speakers in Hyderabad. When we speak about about a pair of speakers upto 1L and start discussing things about it... they speak about 8L,12l HT setups when I am targeting at 4L. Probably want to cover up their limited knowledge or sell thing which are lying around for a while. God bless them :lol:.

Last edited:
Regarding servo stabilizer I almost finalized on Vertex 5KV single phase stabilizer with a optional surge protector+ lightning arrestor (OBO BETTERMAN Type 1).

Will this be a over kill :sad: as I intend to connect this stab to a 7.2 speaker setup (which might go up in future with the evolving new sound formats...read dolby Atmos), AVR, a 4K projector connected to a 4K BD player or 4K STB. I opted for 5KV instead of 3KV because the engineer at Vertex said its good to have 40-45% of reserve power as these electronics consume much power than usual at the very moment they are switched on. Also there will be a head room for future up gradations. But the one who was doing HT setups said the consumption should be atleast 85% to feel what difference the stab is making to the sound and video !! The price difference is a couple of thousands which is not a deciding factor. Kindly someone enlighten me on this regard.

Also requested for 2 x 15A input sockets ( in addition to 4 x 5A) and a 3mtrs power cord (instead of standard 1.5mtr) and I was assured that these can be incorporated :clapping:. Of course all of these provided at an extra cost.

This stab is not a audio grade stabilizer as widely believed here but a industrial grade stabilizer modified to audio needs :indifferent14:. I was told the audio grade stabilizers come with heavily copper wired (?) but some how the discussion didn't go any further about it.

New Vertex sabs fitted with audio features are coming in black color so that they can blend in the background :clapping:. Don't know if it is a matte finished or glossy!!

Vertex has presence in hyderbad :)...Mr.Issac from Uppal (Ph:9492972375) who seem to be a through gentleman and prompt just like Mr.T.Rajendran (Chennai) & Mr.Murali (benguluru).

Last edited:
Arrived 5days back. Yet to fiddle with it. Was quiet busy. Just wanted to announce that the first DOLBY ATMOS & HDMI ver 2.0 equipped AVR has arrived on this forum.

Attachments

• photo_edited.jpg
    photo_edited.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 142
Arrived 5days back. Yet to fiddle with it. Was quiet busy. Just wanted to announce that the first DOLBY ATMOS & HDMI ver 2.0 equipped AVR has arrived on this forum.

Congrats buddy on the awesome purchase :clapping:
Have you finalized speakers ?
Also don't forget to post your experiences of the demo :eek:hyeah:

Congrats buddy on the awesome purchase :clapping:
Have you finalized speakers ?
Also don't forget to post your experiences of the demo :eek:hyeah:

Thank you jerryjames72 & Nero9.

Iam seriously considering Dali Zensor7. The dealer doesn't have them in stock right now to audition them. He will be probably getting them this weekend. I will take my AVR and audition them early next week. Will post my observations then for sure.

Meanwhile i ordered for VERTEX 5KV stabilizer with optional surge suppressor+ lightning arrester+ Extra length for power cord+ Additional two 15A sockets. Expecting it to be delivered next week. Altogether costed 25K (transport not included). :sad:

Congratulations.... Enjoy Atmos, cutting edge tech.

Received this afternoon. Wanted to show how VERTEX in black color looks like to FMs. Till recent VERTEX was offering only in white but upon some of our FMs suggestions, they started offering stabs fitted with audio features in black....nice :). And for FMs from Andhra Pradesh, VERTEX has a service personel at Tanuku. Also service person from hyd frequents to Vijayawada ( they claim to have atleast 20 customers including hospitals) and are planning to open up an office there...:clapping: Nero9 are you listening.

Attachments

• securedownload[1]_edited.jpg
    securedownload[1]_edited.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 103
Received this afternoon. Wanted to show how VERTEX in black color looks like to FMs. Till recent VERTEX was offering only in white but upon some of our FMs suggestions, they started offering stabs fitted with audio features in black....nice :). And for FMs from Andhra Pradesh, VERTEX has a service personel at Tanuku. Also service person from hyd frequents to Vijayawada ( they claim to have atleast 20 customers including hospitals) and are planning to open up an office there...:clapping: Nero9 are you listening.

J1I8UYN.jpg

If you are looking for a 5.1 set, at a much lower budget, try the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. They have been getting rave reviews on the net (check out the huge thread at audioholics). People suggest picking the 5.0 and getting a separate sub. Pioneer should go well with Onkyo.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back