Home theater in a budget of 2L give or take

I was in the same dilemma. Auditioned EF12 along with Dalis and they were very powerful. I did nearly go in for the purchase. But I was like thinking about Velodynes for a long time and wanted to have them. Sunfire and SVS were on the list, but above the Velodynes price band. I already graduated from bookshelves to Floor Standers and hence could not take the SVS plunge. Plus they are not readily available too. I am too excited to wait :) Found a readily available EQ Max 10 and bought it without auditioning.

Just opened them (Dalis + Eq Max 10 + Denon X2000). Initial feedback is yes, its 100 times better than my old setup for movies. Not yet tried with music yet. Velodynes have just started to sing. Will post reviews after some run in.

I found EF12 very compact when compared to velodynes. EQ Max 10 is easily 30% more bigger and occupies space. So if space is a constraint, can go for EF12. From my thought, not regretting the Velodynes. They are big.

So you heard the dali sub while auditioning and owns a velodyne now....can you tell me in comparison how different or similar they are. And ofcourse please tell the price too. Thank you.

Yes, heard Dali Sub while audition along with Zensor 5. They matched very well. Very early to compare the new Velodynes with the run in Dali's. Not even run the Velodyne auto calibration set up. Just been a day. So need to give it some time before it shows its true colors. Have not listened to it extensively as yet. So will post updates after some listening and the calibration. Dali's are something though, sound very nice!.

Now connected the fronts & center with DAC 12AWG speaker cable and using the previous DAC 14AWG for surrounds (old music system speakers). Bought at VECTOR systems. Nice place :cool:. They deal Velodyne subs. Was told that EQ MAX15 is going to arrive next week (MRP.70K...could be bought for 60K I guess). Though no plans of buying sub for a couple of months....thought info would be helpful for fellow FMs.

Coming back to speaker cables...12AWG can be barely accommodated in terminals (atleast in my Onkyo, Dalis got very little room left). So careful if anyone out there wanted to go for 10AWG and connect with bare ends. Coming to sound improvement....there nothing noted :sad: atleast while watching star movies & movies now. Got to check with music and Blu-ray discs. Hope any of this helps someone out there in dilemma

(extract from the article "Top 5 Things to Consider When Buying Audio Cables" on ebay.com)

The gauge of the wire depends on the distance that the speaker wire needs to run. If the distance is less than 80 feet, then the buyer can use 16-gauge wire. Between 80 and 200 feet, the buyer should use 14-gauge wire. For over 200 feet, the buyer should use 12-gauge wire. The buyer should always use a lower gauge wire when any doubt exists as to which size is best.

The buyer should also consider the end type. Six different types of speaker wire ends exist: stripped bare wire, pin connectors, spade lugs, banana plugs, and spring clips. For the most secure connection, a 5-way binding post with a spade plug is the optimal choice. Those who plan to move their stereo often may find the 5-way binding post with a banana plug an easier option. If the buyer plans on running the wire through the wall, then he or she needs to make sure that the speaker wire has a rating of CL1 or CL2.

Thought this will educate some novice like me out there.

By the way HDMI ver2.0 cables are available in india......from MX. So if someone want to invest on a HDMI cable, be sure that its a ver2.0 (which supports a bandwidth of 18gbs)

If someone is seriously interested in a Belkin surge protector , this is the model to consider.. http://www.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=159497# and not the one which is popular in our forum.

Last edited:
There is no single module/ chip available that can accommodate & process both full HDMI ver 2.0 ( i.e. a bandwidth of 18GBPS) & HDCP 2.2. So Onkyo chose to go with HDCP 2.2 which facilitates 4K streaming ( because its offering this feature in network receivers) and confined to 10.2GBPS bandwidth in HDMI ver 2.0 ports which fall short of the set standards. On the other hand Denon/ Marantz gave up HDCP 2.2 feature but are offering (about to) HDMI ports that support 18GBPS bandwidth. So if you are inclined towards streaming services (atleast in future) go with Onkyo. If you rely only on physical discs, go with Denon/ Marantz. Your choice. There is better solution though...postpone upgrading/ buying AVR till next summer :lol: .

Ordered Velodyne Eq max 15 on Monday. Waiting for it to arrive. mrp is 79K(?). Ordered 25ft belkin Subwoofer co-axial cable from Amazon.in and this too should arrive :indifferent14:

Is it a right choice to opt for EPSON TW5200?? Any worthy alternatives in a budget of 1L? Shelling more than a lakh does not seem wise at this point of time as 4K projectors are about to break 5L barrier (Sony VW300ES 4K projector is 5L+....so Benq or someone should be offering in 2L+ in an year!!)

I think going with a 16:9 aspect ration screen seem wise (though future seems good for 2.4:1) as it can accommodate both aspect ratios. How big depends on the wall behind. Mostly will go for liberty grandview (would be nice if some one shares best price and contact in hyderabad for a 133" screen). My query is which mechanism leaves less creases and non wobbly...motor type or manual pull down??

Finally got my hands on this after a month, courtesy AV SOLUTIONS,Hyderabad for proooooooomt delivery :p:p:mad:. But didn't find much time to fiddle with. All I can say for now is....it added nothing to existing sound. Perhaps got to spend time with settings & placement. Is it because iam connecting to LFE and not using a "Y" connector? Iam a noob in subwoofer setting...someone please suggest regarding crossover parameters etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 89
@boss

Congrats on your setup.

I am looking for a similar setup for similar budget.

I am not an audiophile but I want a good setup.

Dali, PSB, B&W, Polk, Paradigm

am not sure wht to go for

Taking a que from Sam9s, bought 2 lever operated recliners, of course in half leather from hometown. Bought in black. Will expand seating when I settle for a dedicated room.
In fact what ever I buy for a HT room, black is the only colour my mind so not to mess up with reflections. It's easy to find anything in black, so esthetics is taken care. Easy to maintain too.

Last edited:
All I can say is 2L Rs is nothing to build an average gear.

In fact, an average projector and screen+mid range av receiver+servo stabiliser or online ups+a normal 3D blu ray player and a vfm media player will eat up the whole amount.

So what about whole cable bunch(speaker cables, hdmi cables, subwoofer cable, optic cable, coaxial cable, power strip)?

What about speakers & subwoofer? If it's 5.1 or 7.1 or 5.1.2 or 7.2.4, what would be the cost?

Then comes the comfy seating with a universal remote!

All this is for using in a living room!!! You gotta build a whole eco system around you AVR... so choose a solid one.

Dedicated HT room is a different game.

I feel Rs. 5L can get us just an average HT.

If that's a burden, better stick to your LED and buy a HTiB for <50K. Rest in peace.

(I don't have financial issues. Just wanted to make fellow members, especially newbies understand budget allocating is as important as anything else.)

Last edited:
Back