Home theater in a budget of 2L give or take

If you are looking for a 5.1 set, at a much lower budget, try the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. They have been getting rave reviews on the net (check out the huge thread at audioholics). People suggest picking the 5.0 and getting a separate sub. Pioneer should go well with Onkyo.

Thank you for your suggestion. But iam some how not inclined much towards pioneer. Regarding budget, if I buy Zensor 7 towers for front + 2 subs + vocal for centre + zensor 1 for rear and surrounds i.e 2 pair to fulfil 7.2 setup & a pair for Atmos...uff its creeping up steep. This maths have put me away from tannoy DCT 6 SE :sad: . Already blew 90K for AVR + stab+ few cables and adapters. And the tannoys cost 40% more than dalis. Still mulling which one to go for. Mind is shouting "Dalis are VFM" :indifferent14: Anyways want to build up step by step. Next step a 3.1 setup.

Would it be possible for you to use 3 identical speakers as your mains? This is a way better approach compared to a horizontal center speaker.

+1 to building the system step by step. I would do the same thing if budget constrained.

Would it be possible for you to use 3 identical speakers as your mains? This is a way better approach compared to a horizontal center speaker.

+1 to building the system step by step. I would do the same thing if budget constrained.

Except for center & subwoofer, rest are sold in pairs. So I don't think its feasible to get a vertical center!

I got few queries about speaker cables & banana plugs. As I mentioned in my very first post... iam a novice.

(1) Are cables supplied with a speaker set that too with banana plugs? If not please suggest me a speaker cable of what Gauge and make that does justice to my set up...I mean 16G or 14G or even better. Can I use uniform gauge cable for all speakers? (bigger gauge for all speakers might sound better right?) Iam thinking of buying a bundle. Also banana plugs of which make? I intent to use in a 25 x 15 size room. So how much length approximately I would require for a 7.2 set up. Buying online seem to be VFM...so suggest me where online. I have MX or DAC on mind. Any other brands? Don't want to spend a bomb on cables.

(2) I got a pair of old Phillips hifi system speakers which I intend to use as surrounds for time being. These have two color coded spring terminals at the back for cable. So can I use banana plug on the other end of the cable to connect to AVR?

Awaiting for all your inputs. Thank you.

1. Use 12 gauge cable. Better to go large than worry later. I would keep the cable same all through out. A 7.2 setup will depend upon the length of room and listening position. Your room length is 25. Even if you sit at 15 ft from front, you are fine to put rear speakers on back wall. You will get nice separation between sides and rears.

2. Yes, you can use banana plug on other side. It's just a way of connecting, does not change any electrical characteristics.

Ordered DALI ZENSOR 7 for fronts this evening. Will be receiving them soon. Next on my grocery list is Zensor Vocal. The guy at demo vouched for DALI 12F sub against Velodyne impact 12. I haven't heard either of those. Any thoughts?

Congrats on your new purchase.
I must say you have bought one of the best in this price range.
Can you please share the price ?

Thanks

one thing I wud like to tell u about HT setup that...........heart and mind of any HT setup is center speaker and subwoofer..and in any way it depends on powerful AVR..

so do mix and match..
whatever u choose..choose wisely and after doing research on the net..and also after audition..
cheers
dheeraj

Thanks for sharing the information. It helps a lot.

Congrats on your new purchase.
I must say you have bought one of the best in this price range.
Can you please share the price ?

Thanks
dali zensor 7 costed me Rs. 57K with B & W. Regarding sub woofer they sell both Dalis and Velodyne. So they can make money by selling any one. Some how the demo guy (not the owner) seems reliable and knows what he is taking. Also advised me not to waste money on Guage higher than 16 for fronts. Showed me the same which they were using for demo. Assured DAC though a Chinese make, still a decent brand and they were using the same. Just wanted to bring these to the notice of fellow FMs.

Can someone suggest me where I can buy a HDMI ver. 2.0 cable in india. Don't want to invest further on the outgoing ver. 1.4 cables. I couldn't find any. Thanks in advance.

hi boss8055, can you share you source of purchase of dali in hyd. Looking for a velo sub. The price offered for dali7 seems very reasonable

hi boss8055, can you share you source of purchase of dali in hyd. Looking for a velo sub. The price offered for dali7 seems very reasonable

Bought at AV Solutions.

By the way got my Dalis today :). Connected each of them to AVR by 5mtrs DAC 14AWG speaker cable.

Will get DAC 12AWG cable for surrounds as 10AWG doesn't seem to be available on hifimart :sad:.

What is the best suited cable for subwoofer? RG6 (I think its the same cable used for satellite tv!)?

Thanks in advance.

Bought Dali Zensor Vokal today and connected it with a 3mtr DAC 14G cable :). Next acquisition must be a subwoofer. The dealer says though compact unlike Velodyne 12 EQ max, Dali E-12F strength is that we cannot pinpoint where the sound is coming from...and quiet a powerful sub that it shakes the ground beneath!!! I haven't auditioned either of those. Incase if Iam not able to audition them, I will incline towards Dali sub owing to better integration with rest of the setup which is from the same brand.

Last edited:
you can audition Velodyne EQ 12 at Profx. in my opinion the velodyne should be a better.

AV Solutions deal with both dali & velodyne subs. In case of non availabity, for sure will audition at pro fx. I know Mr. Chandra shekar of profx well.

thanks a lot my friend. this from my heart. i received the receiver 737 yesterday and quite happy with it. now my hunt begins for the speakers and i am trying to follow you. Thanks a lot once again dear friend.

thanks a lot my friend. this from my heart. i received the receiver 737 yesterday and quite happy with it. now encouraged get that was t begins for the speakers and i am trying to follow you. Thanks a lot once again dear friend.

congratulations on your new acquisition. it's your hard earned money that was paid. after all forum is for sharing and caring. many here guided and encouraged me as well. I am indebted to them too. All the best for your speakers.

hi friends , need inputs regarding two wall mounted speakers. B&W M1 & Monitor Audio R90. Which would be better of for HT purposes for a midsize room. B&W is about 5k more expensive per speaker. Which of these offer better dynamic range as well as detailing. Do these offer better sound compared to VFM / cheaper alternatives like the sonodyne Genie 1 or Genie 2 for HT applications.
Or do the compact stand mounters like Q acoustics 2020i or PSB imagine mini trump these satellites in the dynamic performance purely for movies. Your suggestions are welcome & I hope to get some insights before auditioning these. Space is really at a premium & would like to wall mount the one set that I purchase & wall mounting the bookshelves would look odd compared to the sleek sats, but if they are really sweet sounding than the sats then willing to try .
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
hi friends , need inputs regarding two wall mounted speakers. B&W M1 & Monitor Audio R90. Which would be better of for HT purposes for a midsize room. B&W is about 5k more expensive per speaker. Which of these offer better dynamic range as well as detailing. Do these offer better sound compared to VFM / cheaper alternatives like the sonodyne Genie 1 or Genie 2 for HT applications.
Or do the compact stand mounters like Q acoustics 2020i or PSB imagine mini trump these satellites in the dynamic performance purely for movies. Your suggestions are welcome & I hope to get some insights before auditioning these. Space is really at a premium & would like to wall mount the one set that I purchase & wall mounting the bookshelves would look odd compared to the sleek sats, but if they are really sweet sounding than the sats then willing to try .
Thanks in advance

First things first. I have neither auditioned nor considered all the models you mentioned as I was never inclined towards satellites or bookshelves. But what I can suggest from my little experience is....

(1) Any stand mounts (bookshelf + stand) will occupy the same amount of place what a floor stand will, lets say 1sq Ft or so.This is regarding fronts.

(2) For movies bookshelf will do the job. Add a sub to them, you wont miss a thing what you get from floor standers. Iam against satellites as long as you can afford bigger ones. No offence to sat lovers. Cabasse sats sound chweetttt:licklips:.

(3) Wall mounting bookshelves will look odd. Either stand mount them or consider a dipole speaker like Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS Rear Surround Speakers will look aesthetically good with a elaborated sound stage. Iam seriously considering these for my surrounds. Yet to audition though. Hifimart sells these along with two other.

Correct me if I was wrong. These are my inferences and is not an expert opinion. Hope gurus jump in. Good look.

Bought Dali Zensor Vokal today and connected it with a 3mtr DAC 14G cable :). Next acquisition must be a subwoofer. The dealer says though compact unlike Velodyne 12 EQ max, Dali E-12F strength is that we cannot pinpoint where the sound is coming from...and quiet a powerful sub that it shakes the ground beneath!!! I haven't auditioned either of those. Incase if Iam not able to audition them, I will incline towards Dali sub owing to better integration with rest of the setup which is from the same brand.

I was in the same dilemma. Auditioned EF12 along with Dalis and they were very powerful. I did nearly go in for the purchase. But I was like thinking about Velodynes for a long time and wanted to have them. Sunfire and SVS were on the list, but above the Velodynes price band. I already graduated from bookshelves to Floor Standers and hence could not take the SVS plunge. Plus they are not readily available too. I am too excited to wait :) Found a readily available EQ Max 10 and bought it without auditioning.

Just opened them (Dalis + Eq Max 10 + Denon X2000). Initial feedback is yes, its 100 times better than my old setup for movies. Not yet tried with music yet. Velodynes have just started to sing. Will post reviews after some run in.

I found EF12 very compact when compared to velodynes. EQ Max 10 is easily 30% more bigger and occupies space. So if space is a constraint, can go for EF12. From my thought, not regretting the Velodynes. They are big.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back