Home Theater Setup - Suggestions welcome!

nanda.uforians

Friends,

I am planning to setup a home theater with the following:

1 - Mitsubishi HC4000 projector
2 - LG 42 3D Tv (existing)
3 - 100 inch motorized screen (yet to decide model/make)
4 - 3d Blu ray player (yet to decide on model/make)
5 - 5.1 sound system (yet to decide on model/make)
6 - Tata Sky HD DTH (existing)

I will have to connect my DTH to both TV and projector.Similarly, i will have to
connect my Blu ray player to both TV and the projector. I will be using TV to watch 3d movies and the projector to watch 2D movies/content.

HC4000 has 1 HDMI input. Tata Sky DTH has 1 HDMI output.

What are your suggestions for a sound system in the range of 30-40K? And what do I need to connect the DTH/Blurayplayer to both projector and TV?

Please let me know your thoughts. Mention of model/make will be helpful.

Thanks,
S.Nandakumar

Ankur,

I am bit ignorant about the use of Audio Video receiver. What is the purpose of AV receiver? Is it any different from the 5.1 Home theater speaker setup? Sorry about the dumb question.

Thanks,
Nanda

Ankur,

I am bit ignorant about the use of Audio Video receiver. What is the purpose of AV receiver? Is it any different from the 5.1 Home theater speaker setup? Sorry about the dumb question.

Thanks,
Nanda

Nanda,

To power your 5.1 HT speaker set up you will need an AVR. So put that too in your list. Just do a search for AVR in this forum and you'll get more than enough information regarding that.

Sham.

An AVR contains the amplifier to drive speakers, switch for selecting different audio and video inputs and processor to decode DTS and Dolby Digital. Latest AVRs support 3D passthrough, HD audio like DTS HDMA and Dolby TruHD and atleast 4 HDMI inputs to connect all your HDMI based devices. All these features are necessary for a Blu-Ray setup. Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha are the common AVR brands.

Nanda,

AVR or audio video receiver is a receiver of multiple audio and video sources. It decodes various digital audio streams too. It can upscale your sd video to hd( in some models).
Finally, it serves as the Amplifier for the speakers in your home theatre package.

Friends,

I am planning to setup a home theater with the following:

1 - Mitsubishi HC4000 projector
2 - LG 42 3D Tv (existing)
3 - 100 inch motorized screen (yet to decide model/make)
4 - 3d Blu ray player (yet to decide on model/make)
5 - 5.1 sound system (yet to decide on model/make)
6 - Tata Sky HD DTH (existing)

I will have to connect my DTH to both TV and projector.Similarly, i will have to
connect my Blu ray player to both TV and the projector. I will be using TV to watch 3d movies and the projector to watch 2D movies/content.

HC4000 has 1 HDMI input. Tata Sky DTH has 1 HDMI output.

What are your suggestions for a sound system in the range of 30-40K? And what do I need to connect the DTH/Blurayplayer to both projector and TV?

Please let me know your thoughts. Mention of model/make will be helpful.

Thanks,
S.Nandakumar

Hi welcome to the circle of HT people. Your Idea can be achieved by connecting your BD player, DTH setop box and any other gadget that you have to a AV receiver (An Audio Video amplifier with a AM FM tuner / receiver is called AV receiver) and at the same time the AVR should have dual HDMI out with HDMI 1.4 (to support your 3D requirement). Given this objective the budget of 30-40K seems to be very very less as you also need 5.1 speaker package (5 speakers and 1 subwoofer). Hence keeping your tight budget in mind you can go in for HTIB ie Home theater in a box.

At the same time I am not quiet sure that whether HTIBs will have multiple inputs and two HDMI1.4 outputs, of course Even one HDMI out put can be split with a quality HDMI splitter to connect both of your gadgets together only criteria is the HDMI splitter should be capable of HDMI1.4 to support 3D files. This is the point to be explored. Various threads on this is already is there in this forum for you to get enlightened.

Thanks

R. Balagopalan

For 30-40K you can look for models like Onkyo 3500/Denon 1312XP/Yamaha 296/298 etc. models. All these have latest features. To get better sound you can upgrade in steps by first adding an AVR and a pair of Bookshelf speakers.

I hope the replies from the forum members here have given you an idea of what the AVR does. Simply put it's the central processing unit of your HT set up.
I have a few questions about your set up:-
Do you plan to have a dedicated room for HT?
What is your total budget?

Answers to these questions can help us advice you better.

Welcome to the world of HT :)

Thanks a ton about enlightening me on the need for A/V receiver.

I always thought a home theater system ( HTIB as it is called) was enough ! :eek:
I wanted to do my total home theater setup at 1.5L. Projector/Screen and Cables will come up to 1L i guess. That leaves a buffer of 50K for HTIB or A/V receiver and speakers.

I could push up by another 20K max if that is the best way to go. I will be using the setup more for movies than music. HT technican, who visited my home, suggested some model in Pioneer, which i don't remember now. Not sure if if he mentioned a A/V receiver or HTIB.

My home theater space is not a dedicated light controlled room with dark walls. It is partly a living room cum TV room. Attached a quick drawing. pardon my bad drawing skills ! :) home-theater-setup.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions !

Hi,

You have to settle down with Panasonic AR100 projector as this is the one to give you fair picture quality as this is a Living room projector with high ANSI lumens. Otherwise you will end up in washed out images/picture quality. In fact I have the same in my setup. My Living room is with two big windows, 4 normal doors and one 6ft wide glass door, hope this is self explanatory. Typically my set up is as required by you, as I have a 52" Samsung LCD and the motorised drapper will fall just right infront of the TV when ever I want to watch with projector. In case you are interested you can see my setup as you also live in Chennai.

With regard to Audio I would suggest you to go in for a decent AV receiver and a Pair of towers to start with. Later you can add Center, Surround and a Sub. Only thing is you have to freeze in for a Tower which has a matching center and surround so that you can buy the same in future to have better timber matching of the effects/sound. More over you have lot of preowned options with regard to speakers to economise your cost of the setup.

Thanks

R. Balagopalan

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back