home-theater subwoofer build - rhythmik?

Is the foam surround so bad in longevity?

It depends: foam surrounds are treated with compounds to increase the life.
You need to ask the manufacturer/vendor/dealer whether the surrounds are treated.

Also the diyer could use many more things available and coat on thier own, if they are willing to try that is.

I tried this http://www.hifivision.com/diy/7680-glue-protect-foam-surrounds.html
It DOES change the T/S parameters a bit but I did 3 coats which is overkill.
Hope this helps.

this is used in lyrita amity speakers.

it may help with bass extension for a 6" full range mounted on an open baffle, but you cannot call it a sub by any stretch of the imagination. the full range drivers that lyrita uses would possibly be pretty high efficiency, so you'd need bass extension to be of similar efficiency, if you are using a passive x-over.

cheers

ok. I am not an expert driver. I thought it may be used in sub, given high efficiency and size.

it may help with bass extension for a 6" full range mounted on an open baffle, but you cannot call it a sub by any stretch of the imagination. the full range drivers that lyrita uses would possibly be pretty high efficiency, so you'd need bass extension to be of similar efficiency, if you are using a passive x-over.

cheers

It depends: foam surrounds are treated with compounds to increase the life.
You need to ask the manufacturer/vendor/dealer whether the surrounds are treated.

Also the diyer could use many more things available and coat on thier own, if they are willing to try that is.

I tried this http://www.hifivision.com/diy/7680-glue-protect-foam-surrounds.html
It DOES change the T/S parameters a bit but I did 3 coats which is overkill.
Hope this helps.

As you said, it changed the TS Parameters. Would it be for good or bad is what we need to see. Any comments from other experts who have indulged in DIY like GeorgeO, Suri etc.

I would not touch speakers with Foam surround. I will go only for Butyl Rubber surrounds. Foam turns into pieces after a while and an expensive speaker build would go waste. I have had some nasty experiences with foam surrounds.

I will also not recommend coating the foam surround with any rubber or silicone compounds. While it may make the surround robust, the T/S parameters do get altered and can start behaving differently in a given enclosure. For all you know it may behave better, but the fact remains that the behaviour is unpredictable.

Cheers.

As you said, it changed the TS Parameters. Would it be for good or bad is what we need to see. Any comments from other experts who have indulged in DIY like GeorgeO, Suri etc.

foam surrounds are put there for their "speed" and lesser mass - in comparison with the "slower" and heavier rubber surrounds. A woofer with foam surround needs a smaller magnet structure and woofer with a rubber surround need a heavier and bigger magnet (and is, therefore, more expensive)

foam surrounds add less mass to the moving cone - and, so, it performs faster and better (given the same magnet structure)

foam surrounds are "formed" in a particular shape and the performance of the surround is related to the way it flexes during movement and then how it returns to rest position.

a DIY'er is well advised to stay clear of coating the foam surround of expensive drivers and introducing "stiffness" and unpredictability in the performance of the driver.

doing that on an inexpensive driver could be a fun thing to do - perhaps with a a few extra coats one could stiffen the woofer enough to allow it to perform as a midrange.

lastly - why not buy the transducer which has rubber surround instead of getting trapped by a ring of foam?

Last edited:
@Anilva & @Suri

Thank you guys for the quick response. I'm sure you've saved quite a few bucks of the prospective / would be / wanna be DIY'ers.

Returned home after a 4 day trip to find that the shiva x2 subwoofer driver has landed at my place...... In just 4 days of shipping from USA using Borderlinx:yahoo:.

This will be my first audio related DIY and will be documented on a new thread when I am ready. Have a lot of reading to do befor I commence. The plan is to build a musical sub that can be used for HT as well if there is such a thing. Focus will be to get it to work with my B&W DM610s for 2.1 listening though.

Many thanks to George for encouraging me and introducing me to Kevin Haskins of diycable making. Also thanks to Rajiv, Anilva and Suri for encouraging me to go ahead with a DIY sub.

Last edited:
Returned home after a 4 day trip to find that the shiva x2 subwoofer driver has landed at my place...... In just 4 days of shipping from USA using Borderlinx:yahoo:.

congrats on the version 2 of an icon! could you give a sense of the wt and cost through borderlinx as well as the duty..

that rythmik audio beckons me, but i need to figure out how much shipping and duty will be.. amd having just ponyed up for the xda-1 and about 50 BDs (yup, I went a bit crazy this black friday sale).. high command may issue a veto!

good going santhol2 - post pictures of the drivers and the cabinet (at each stage of construction)

i will do the same on this thread with my subwoofer

good going santhol2 - post pictures of the drivers and the cabinet (at each stage of construction)

i will do the same on this thread with my subwoofer

@ Suri-is this a rythmik or are you looking at something else?

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back